Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tutorial on tilt-shift lenses?  (Read 5886 times)

dreed

Tutorial on tilt-shift lenses?
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:53:34 pm »

On the weekend I had a chance to hold one of the new Canon TS-17's at a local shop, along with some "sample photos" in Canon's folder to show its worth.

But how do you use them to get that effect?
Do TS lenses come with a manual describing how to turn each knob for the desired effect?
Is it immediately obvious once you attach it to your camera and start turning the knobs?
I can't see any, but are there any tutorials on this website on how to use them?

They look nice and what they offer looks nice but they also look like they need a bit more expertise than a regular lens.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:24:33 am »

Quote from: dreed
On the weekend I had a chance to hold one of the new Canon TS-17's at a local shop, along with some "sample photos" in Canon's folder to show its worth.

But how do you use them to get that effect?
Do TS lenses come with a manual describing how to turn each knob for the desired effect?
Is it immediately obvious once you attach it to your camera and start turning the knobs?
I can't see any, but are there any tutorials on this website on how to use them?

They look nice and what they offer looks nice but they also look like they need a bit more expertise than a regular lens.

Learn how to operate a view camera.

All will be revealed, grasshopper.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:13:10 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Learn how to operate a view camera.

All will be revealed, grasshopper.

Thats good advice - but not very practical for someone who doesnt know where to start.

To the OP: Try this Tutorial here: Tilt Shift Lenses LL Tutorial

A helpful video in this review: Video Lesson near bottom of page LL review and Tutorial Video

And this Link here will help you as well: An external Tutorial on TSE - not on LL

And practice, practice, practice.

TSE opens up a world of infinite focus :-)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:14:05 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dreed

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:02:18 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
Thats good advice - but not very practical for someone who doesnt know where to start.

To the OP: Try this Tutorial here: Tilt Shift Lenses LL Tutorial

A helpful video in this review: Video Lesson near bottom of page LL review and Tutorial Video

And this Link here will help you as well: An external Tutorial on TSE - not on LL

And practice, practice, practice.

TSE opens up a world of infinite focus :-)

I think the northlight link is the closest to what I'm looking for... whilst the LL pages (now I remember reading them but when I looked in the index under "T" (tilt) and "S" (shift) and saw nothing..) describe the technical detail, there's less about the "how to"...

What I was looking for was a presentation of standard photo X, when shifted looks like X', when tilted looks like X'' and when tilt and shift are combined, looks like X'''.

But I can see that I'm just going to need to get one and experiment to fully understand.

j-land

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:16:32 am »

Howard Merklinger has written extensively on focusing the view camera, and although his writing is very technical, there are some useful diagrams on his web site which may help you visualize what's going on when you apply lens tilt: Merklinger

On this page he has some graphical animations.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:01:05 am »

You might also consider the Tilt Shift piece published in LLVJ-2.

elf

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:59 am »

Quote from: ChrisSand
You might also consider the Tilt Shift piece published in LLVJ-2.

I like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m70xr9mE

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 01:24:46 pm »

Quote from: j-land
Howard Merklinger has written extensively on focusing the view camera, and although his writing is very technical, there are some useful diagrams on his web site which may help you visualize what's going on when you apply lens tilt: Merklinger

On this page he has some graphical animations.
Yes, But his name is Harold M. Merklinger.

T/S lenses can have their uses, but you may contemplate the full functionality (and horrendous cost and complication) of Medium Format Digital View Cameras.

T/S lenses can be used with the SLR view finder, and can be used hand-held: with live view for focusing and composition MFDVCs are easier to use... has anyone used one hand-held?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 02:40:16 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Yes, But his name is Harold M. Merklinger.

T/S lenses can have their uses, but you may contemplate the full functionality (and horrendous cost and complication) of Medium Format Digital View Cameras.

T/S lenses can be used with the SLR view finder, and can be used hand-held: with live view for focusing and composition MFDVCs are easier to use... has anyone used one hand-held?
Which MFDVC has Live-View (without tethering)? I thought none of the digital backs had true live-view (let alone a decent LCD screen).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 04:04:15 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
Which MFDVC has Live-View (without tethering)? I thought none of the digital backs had true live-view (let alone a decent LCD screen).
What is the difference between true live view and normal live view?

I do not know of any digiback that has live view untethered... live view is not available on mine, but I hope it will be in a week of two when Phocus 1.2 is available.

The LCD screen on the H3D is 3" I think, and not too bad.

A Sinar and a laptop would be heavy to hand hold, but an artec and a small laptop would be possible. My Sinar P3 and my 17" laptop would be difficult...  With a separate view finder, you do not have to hold the camera in front of you eye... you could mount the Sinar on a ruck sack frame - a bit like Buzz Lightyear's weapon pack, or put the camera on your shoulder, like the big video cameras.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up