Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Film Shots  (Read 1777 times)

EdinburghGary

My First Film Shots
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:45:11 am »

Hi Guys,

My first film shots.  Using an RB67 and scanned in with an Epson 750 Pro (not without problems I might add!)...

I would appreciate honest crit, and I have no trouble whatsoever with anyone who wishes to be harsh.  Thick skinned   I can say the slides appear much punchier, and please me more.  I am brand new to the scanner so I guess it will take some getting used to.

Gary.

byork

• http://
My First Film Shots
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22:55 am »

Hi Gary,

I like #'s 2,3,4 & 6.....pleasing compositions and nice light. The first one however I think has too much empty space in the top half, there's just too much blue sky with not much interest in it. And there's a big dark shadow on the bottom.

#5 could probably do with more detail in the shadows.

The big skies in 3 & 6 work for me because of the blending colours. That's my 2 bobs worth anyway.

By the way....that tower wouldn't be near Blackness would it?

Cheers
Brian

EdinburghGary

My First Film Shots
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:06:16 am »

Quote from: byork
Hi Gary,

I like #'s 2,3,4 & 6.....pleasing compositions and nice light. The first one however I think has too much empty space in the top half, there's just too much blue sky with not much interest in it. And there's a big dark shadow on the bottom.

#5 could probably do with more detail in the shadows.

The big skies in 3 & 6 work for me because of the blending colours. That's my 2 bobs worth anyway.

By the way....that tower wouldn't be near Blackness would it?

Cheers
Brian

Hi,

The tower is about 10 miles east of Blackness, however it is not the one you are thinking of.  This is Cammo tower here, in the Cammo Estate near Maybury and East Craigs, West Edinburgh.  The tower you are thinking of, has a Scottish flag flying, and is only a mile or so away from Blackness (one of my favourite places to shoot!).  The tower is called Binns Tower.  Here is a photo of it:
http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/edinburg...hgow-sco519.jpg

Not my photo.

Thanks for the crit.  The shadow is a pain.  Less shadow, and more clouds?

Gary.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
My First Film Shots
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:25:21 am »

Gary:  One comment I would add is that your black point seems to be set too high.  In #3 and #6 one expects to see silhouettes, but in the others the trees for example are mostly rendered as absolute black with no detail at all.  If you have Lightroom, judicious use of the Fill Light slider might bring back some of that detail.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
My First Film Shots
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:48:04 pm »

Gary, With the possible exception of #1, which doesn't seem to have a focal point, I think it's good work. I do agree with Mike that the black point is set too high. The other thing I'd play with in Lightroom 2 or Photoshop CS3 or CS4 is the Vibrance slider. I'd try moving it to the left. I suspect you're shooting Velvia, and Velvia's color saturation always seems too high to me. I need to emphasize that that's a personal opinion. I have a friend who sells at art fairs. One day I went to a fair where he was showing and the color saturation on the stuff in his booth was cranked way up. I complained. He agreed that the result was gross, but he added, "But my sales have doubled." The moral of that story is that personal opinions vary.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dalethorn

My First Film Shots
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:56:02 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Gary, With the possible exception of #1, which doesn't seem to have a focal point, I think it's good work. I do agree with Mike that the black point is set too high. The other thing I'd play with in Lightroom 2 or Photoshop CS3 or CS4 is the Vibrance slider. I'd try moving it to the left. I suspect you're shooting Velvia, and Velvia's color saturation always seems too high to me. I need to emphasize that that's a personal opinion. I have a friend who sells at art fairs. One day I went to a fair where he was showing and the color saturation on the stuff in his booth was cranked way up. I complained. He agreed that the result was gross, but he added, "But my sales have doubled." The moral of that story is that personal opinions vary.

Ditto on the saturation.  I was waiting for someone else to comment, since I didn't know how you were processing these.
Pages: [1]   Go Up