Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's next for Canon?  (Read 7178 times)

zeke

• http://
What's next for Canon?
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »

Just wondering what people anticipate as Canon's next DSLR offering in the 50D range. I've been considering purchase of the 50D (5DII is too pricey) but am willing to wait if the "60D" or whatever follows the 50D offers the right kind of improvements. Video capabilities would be nice, but I'm really interested in improvements in IQ such as reduced noise at higher ISO settings.

What do you see coming? Are significant IQ improvements possible in a 15 megapixel reduced-frame sensor? Any insights you have are welcome!

Thanks,
zeke

stever

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:05:54 pm »

based on Canon's history with crop frame cameras, i'm not expecting any IQ improvements in the near future, particualarly improved high ISO noise.  the next camera will certainly have video capability - hopefully more user-friendly than the 5D2.

the IQ difference between the 5D2 and 50D is pretty stunning at larger print sizes and/or higher ISO

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
What's next for Canon?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:39:49 pm »

Everyone has opinions and views, and of course the 60D will be 21M pixel, outstanding low light capabilities, 15 frames per second, new battery technology, etc etc etc. Sorry, couldn't stop myself  

It is always really difficult to second guess the manufacturers as they are understandably tight lipped on the subject, but suggest you look at Canon Rumors. It's not always spot on, can be insightful and is fun to read for the gear-heads among us.
Pete Truman

zeke

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:53:26 pm »

Compared to another 15-megapixel 50D-like camera with video, I would gladly take a 12 megapixel Canon with larger pixels, higher IQ, and NO video. Or a budget version of the 5D2 --- no video but full frame and with excellent image quality.

zeke

stever

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:05 pm »

you're looking from the point of view of a photographer rather than as a Canon marketing manager.  i expect so long as you have live view, the cost of adding a basic video capability is very little.  adding more useful video starts to add a bit of cost, but also starts to impact some of Canon's higher end video cameras which are under another marketing manager so the turf war has to be bumped upstairs for resolution

zeke

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »

It's too bad you can't order a new camera the way you can order a new car: go to the maker you like, pick a basic model, add the features you want and pass on those you don't.

I want a 5D2, full frame, with a 15-megapixel sensor (keep those pixels large), no video, ISO up to 12,800, no live view ... for $1,499.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
What's next for Canon?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:24:20 am »

Quote from: zeke
It's too bad you can't order a new camera the way you can order a new car: go to the maker you like, pick a basic model, add the features you want and pass on those you don't.

I want a 5D2, full frame, with a 15-megapixel sensor (keep those pixels large), no video, ISO up to 12,800, no live view ... for $1,499.

+! that would be exactly what I need as well!!  Ah, to dream....

dmsp

• http://davidsaxphoto.com
What's next for Canon?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:03:47 am »

Always a fun and interesting topic.....

I guess this is what is intriguing to me about the Red Scarlet, which I believe is still in the development stages.  I don't know if there is an actual "working" pre-production model yet.  Although I have seen images.  This is a build your own type of platform.  It's a "combo-cam" . Yes it's costly, but I guess I see this as a big step in a different direction.  It allows for different sensors, different on-board components, the use of lenses by various makers, etc.  So, a build-to-order concept.  Friends I have in the video world love the current Red Camera.

I guess what will be interesting is to see how the other manufacturers respond to this once it get's up and running.  I realize many people may not care about video, but it may prompt current camera manufacturers to make changes that would otherwise not occur......  But who knows?

That's the fun of it........  Right?  

Cheers!
Dave

BJL

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:08 am »

It's too bad you can't order a new camera the way you can order a new car: ...

Unfortunately neither car dealers not camera dealers let you name an absurdly low price like that. What makes you thing that putting fewer pixels on an equally large sensor or omitting mostly firmware-based features like live view or video would half the price of the camera? Hint: dirt cheap compact digicams have had live view and video for years: those are very cheap features! As far as I can tell, none of those changes would significantly reduce the unit production cost of the camera, and the lower resolution sensor would add to the R&D cost by requiring the development of an extra sensor.

Apart from that, look at the solid evidence that having fewer pixels on the same size of sensor adds nothing to image quality, including visible noise levels, when compared fairly: displaying the images at equal size and resolution. The alleged extra noise of the higher resolution sensor is at high spatial frequencies, too high for the lower resolution sensor to resolve, and so can be filtered out by converting to match the lower resolution of the sensor with fewer pixels.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:34:08 am by BJL »

zeke

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:34:43 pm »

The point being made was playful, not literal. Sorry you misunderstood.

zeke

zeke

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 08:35:32 pm »

The original post asked "what's next from Canon?" Just to refocus. Thanks.
zeke
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:37:38 pm by zeke »

AJSJones

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 08:10:22 pm »

As noted already, with LiveView comes video capability - just take the data and put it into a file.

What would be real nice (for wildlife shooters, spies and paparazzi), but a little further away in time - using  smaller portions of the chip to read out 1080p - could result in a 2.5x additional "multiplier".  So for example the 500mm using 4752 pixels wide @1.6x crop factor appears to be 1080p from a 800mm lens.  With only the central 1920 pixels wide being read out, it would appear to come from a 2000 mm lens

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
What's next for Canon?
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 09:17:17 pm »

Quote from: AJSJones
As noted already, with LiveView comes video capability - just take the data and put it into a file.

What would be real nice (for wildlife shooters, spies and paparazzi), but a little further away in time - using  smaller portions of the chip to read out 1080p - could result in a 2.5x additional "multiplier".  So for example the 500mm using 4752 pixels wide @1.6x crop factor appears to be 1080p from a 800mm lens.  With only the central 1920 pixels wide being read out, it would appear to come from a 2000 mm lens

That is totally doable, but it would undercut their lens sales....so that would be a no-go in the dreaded and mythical marketing meetings.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

AJSJones

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »

Quote from: fike
That is totally doable, but it would undercut their lens sales....so that would be a no-go in the dreaded and mythical marketing meetings.
To get similar HD capability from a Canon camcorder, you're looking at $6K for an XL series with EOS adapter.  That would have a ~7x multiplier; if you plonked your 500 n it , it would seem like a 3500 on a 35mm camera   Perhaps that's what they don't want us to get for almost nothing, at least video-wise.

achrisproduction

What's next for Canon?
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 10:40:17 pm »

Just wondering what people anticipate as Canon's next DSLR offering in the 50D range. I've been considering purchase of the 50D (5DII is too pricey) but am willing to wait if the "60D" or whatever follows the 50D offers the right kind of improvements. Video capabilities would be nice, but I'm really interested in improvements in IQ such as reduced noise at higher ISO settings.

What do you see coming? Are significant IQ improvements possible in a 15 megapixel reduced-frame sensor? Any insights you have are welcome!

Thanks,
zeke
Should wait a bit mate.  50D did not improve a lot from 40D.  I would say it's just the LCD, CMOS with higher ISO range and more pixels.  However, the out come isn't great after increasing the pixels as most of the old lenses cannot take 12 M.P APS-C CMOS, the images always appear pretty soft even you boost up the sharpness bit.  

Cheers,

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up