Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible New Mac  (Read 3252 times)

alan9940

Possible New Mac
« on: May 17, 2009, 12:26:57 pm »

Hello All,

I know that there are quite a few very knowledgeable folks on this board and I'd like to tap into a bit of that knowledge for some advice...

When I first got into the digital arena back in 2000 I bought a Mac G4 Cube w/17" CRT display and add-on memory. I won't embrass myself telling you how much I paid for this setup! Suffice it to say that 640MB of additional RAM was $600! Well...I'm sure we all have those stories don't we? Anyway, over the several years that I used this setup I became increasingly frustrated that I couldn't really add on any additional hardware, peripherals, etc. A few years ago, thinking that I'd remedy the "closed architecture" of the Mac Cube, I bought the biggest, bestest Mac G5 tower that I could afford at the time. I bought into this system thinking that I wouldn't have to buy any new hardware for quite awhile. Then, of course, less then a year after I bought this Mac Apple announced that they were moving to the Intel chipset. This, in and of itself, didn't concern me in the least...I was perfectly happy with what I had. But, then, some of my favorite software apps--like Capture One PRO--were released running only on the latest Mac OS release (10.5.6) and Intel-based machines. Dang it!!

Okay, so finally here's my question: If you were buying a new Mac today, what whould you get? My needs are mostly the common apps used for digital imaging:  PS CS4, LR2, Capture One PRO, etc. Other than digital imaging, my wife uses my computer for iTunes and I use the occasional Office app such as Word or Excel. I've considered a new MacBook Pro more than once because it would be nice to have a "take along" in the field, but based on what I've heard or seen for myself it doesn't seem that the horsepower is really there. I've looked at the new towers, of course, but have hesitated due to being kinkd of "burnt" with my prior tower. Again, this may be naive on my part, but I didn't really consider having to buy a new system so soon. I know that the typical turn-around on hardware is shorter than my goal line; I try to get 4 - 5 years out of each system that I put hard-earned cash into!

How about the new iMacs? I'm pretty sure Michael runs these in his gallery based on the videos I've seen. Sorry, I know this is a rather large and open-ended inquiry, but I'd certainly appreciate very much any advice any of you would care to share...

Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Alan Huntley

graeme

Possible New Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:22:44 am »

If you're considering an imac make sure that you can live with the glossy screen. ( I believe that Michael uses an older model iMac with a matt screen ). I've also heard that there are issues regarding the calibration of these screens. I've got a Mac pro and a 20" cinema display but I sometimes work on someone else's 24" iMac: It's powerful enough but I hate that screen. It also had to be returned for repair when it was about 6 months old as did another friends previous generation iMac.

My Mac Pro is over two years old and has had no problems. My previous computer is a 9 year old Powermac G4 which is still going strong ( no problems ever ) as is the Apple CRT display that I bought with it ( ! ). However I can't help feeling that the consumer level Macs just aren't as solid and that Apple seem more interested in phones and ipods at the moment.

Have you considered building a PC to your own spec for imaging use and keeping your older mac for internet / fun stuff?

Good luck

Graeme

rcannonp

Possible New Mac
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:44 am »

Quote from: alan9940
Anyway, over the several years that I used this setup I became increasingly frustrated that I couldn't really add on any additional hardware, peripherals, etc.

You would probably have these same frustrations with an iMac. There are no options for adding new interfaces or anything like that, so you would be pretty much stuck in 2009 with an iMac. They also aren't much if any more powerful than the Mac laptops. If you want power and expandability you need a Mac Pro.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

alan9940

Possible New Mac
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:53:58 pm »

Quote from: graeme
If you're considering an imac make sure that you can live with the glossy screen. ( I believe that Michael uses an older model iMac with a matt screen ). I've also heard that there are issues regarding the calibration of these screens. I've got a Mac pro and a 20" cinema display but I sometimes work on someone else's 24" iMac: It's powerful enough but I hate that screen. It also had to be returned for repair when it was about 6 months old as did another friends previous generation iMac.

My Mac Pro is over two years old and has had no problems. My previous computer is a 9 year old Powermac G4 which is still going strong ( no problems ever ) as is the Apple CRT display that I bought with it ( ! ). However I can't help feeling that the consumer level Macs just aren't as solid and that Apple seem more interested in phones and ipods at the moment.

Have you considered building a PC to your own spec for imaging use and keeping your older mac for internet / fun stuff?

Good luck

Graeme

Hello Graeme,

Thanks for your reply. I've heard the same thing regarding calibration issues with the iMac screens. Also, like you, I'm really not sold on those glossy screens. A guy that I work with just bought a MBP a few months ago, and that glossy screen is not easy to look at; everything in the room is reflected back! I hadn't heard of any particular repair issues, but I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Right now I've got a 23" Cinema display on my G5 tower which I've been very happy with for several years, and the only repair I've ever had to do was the cooling fan in the tower. Shortly after I bought the system it started making this churping sound; Apple fixed it quickly and I've never had another problem. Overall, I'm perfectly happy with my current setup. I have considered building my own PC since I have a VERY knowledgeable friend who has already offered to help.

Thanks, again, for your comments.

Regards,
AlanH

alan9940

Possible New Mac
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:54:56 pm »

Quote from: rcannonp
You would probably have these same frustrations with an iMac. There are no options for adding new interfaces or anything like that, so you would be pretty much stuck in 2009 with an iMac. They also aren't much if any more powerful than the Mac laptops. If you want power and expandability you need a Mac Pro.

Yeah, that thought did occur to me. Thanks!

Regards,
AlanH
Pages: [1]   Go Up