Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starter papers for epson 7900  (Read 1705 times)

vgogolak

• http://
Starter papers for epson 7900
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:03 am »

After living with dye sub (Kodak 8660 a really great printer) and lab (Dale up to 20x30 real photos) I have decided it is time to invest in a printer. After years of watching (and a little disappointment in the HP z mostly for paper thickness and loadind) I have decoded to buy a 7900. MR review, in spite of the enthusiams, appears strangely even handed vs HP, that I think he also liked.
SO, I like glossy, some art matte  (maybe even canvas texture) but want to start with a good, HW basic gloss an matte. I will be feeding mostly detailed landscapes cityscapes and PJ scenes (some portrait)

Any suggestions? I assume a basic shorter roll of epson glossy and matte, later, after I get experience I can experiment with trial paper sets. Right now, I want photos, not to play with the printer! Price is not an object (the serious amateur's freedom over the pro's, prgmatism I know. )

regards
Victor

PS Feeding good P45+ and P65+ files but I don't see where that makes a difference. The first large printing will likely be from a Mt Blanc trek, but not all glacier.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:25:08 pm »

Quote from: vgogolak
After living with dye sub (Kodak 8660 a really great printer) and lab (Dale up to 20x30 real photos) I have decided it is time to invest in a printer. After years of watching (and a little disappointment in the HP z mostly for paper thickness and loadind) I have decoded to buy a 7900. MR review, in spite of the enthusiams, appears strangely even handed vs HP, that I think he also liked.
SO, I like glossy, some art matte  (maybe even canvas texture) but want to start with a good, HW basic gloss an matte. I will be feeding mostly detailed landscapes cityscapes and PJ scenes (some portrait)

Any suggestions? I assume a basic shorter roll of epson glossy and matte, later, after I get experience I can experiment with trial paper sets. Right now, I want photos, not to play with the printer! Price is not an object (the serious amateur's freedom over the pro's, prgmatism I know. )

regards
Victor

PS Feeding good P45+ and P65+ files but I don't see where that makes a difference. The first large printing will likely be from a Mt Blanc trek, but not all glacier.

Well, if price is not an object it's hard to beat Epson Exhibition Fiber for a "gloss" paper (unfortunately sheet only, however nice to have prints that are almost perfectly flat without any de-curling necessary). Output from my 7900 on this paper is fantastic.

For pure gloss, Harman Gloss FB AL probably wins out - very smooth and quite glossy, almost a ferotype like finish.  Great for images with a lot of fine detail.  I've also used Ilford Galarie Gold Fiber Silk, which is less glossy but still a very nice paper, a little warmer than those two.  My favorite roll paper is Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta which is similar to Exhibition Fiber but a little more texture.

I like these new papers designed for PK so much I don't think I've printed on matte paper for over a year now.

For canvas I've been really pleased with breathing color's chromata white, sealed with their Glamour II finish.  Really nice look and still holds detail very well for a canvas.  It prints with MK ink, but you can create any type of look you want with the sealer, from glossy to matte.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:27:24 pm by Wayne Fox »

Guigui

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:23:42 am »

If you are looking for an upmarket heavyweight matte paper, my favorite is the Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art. A bit pricy, but the quality is outstanding.

note : this paper has different weights wether it comes in rolls (250g/m²) or sheets (325g/m² up to 17''x22'' sheets and 500g/m² for larger sizes)
Pages: [1]   Go Up