Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800 prints a tone outside the bounding box  (Read 4237 times)

jjlphoto

3800 prints a tone outside the bounding box
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:14 am »

I have the 3800 connected via USB, am on OSX10.4.11, and CS3. I print using the ICC method, select 'Photoshop Manages Colors' and check 'No Color Adjustment' in the usual fashion. Say for example, I print an image that is 6"x8" on 8.5x11 paper. The image itself looks fine, but the resulting print also shows a tone outside of the bounding box, right up to the maximum printable area. It's faint, like if you ran something at 254, 254, 254. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:43:43 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:38:39 am »

Hmm, you don't by any chance have the borderless option enabled, do you?

And I'm assuming you're printing RGB color images, not via ABW, correct?
Eric Chan

jjlphoto

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:00:58 pm »

Eric-

Screen shots attached. I have read your tutorial, thanks! I use your ABW method for my B&W portraits on EEFP.

You will notice I have odd ppi numbers and the fine detail box checked, contrary to your tutorial. These were some quick sell sheets I was printing for my neighbors business, and there were logos and text I wanted crisp, hence the fine detail box checked. Someone else created the files however.

I was reducing the image size in the CS3 Print with Preview window to 91.4% (indicated in attached screen shots) so their 8.5x11 size file would fit without cropping or any re-sizing in Photoshop. I wonder if that is creating the problem?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:19:32 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:18:32 pm »

Update: I just now printed with the image re-sized to 91.4% in the CS3 Image Size Box, and left CS3 Print with Preview window to 100% (and also 100% in the Page SetUp window). Also unchecked the Finest detail box.

Same issue perisists.

This is on my OSX10.4.11 Intel Mac. My CS3 is v10.0.1, Apple- Stylus Pro 3800 v4.7(161.10), Epson driver v3.57, 3800 Firmware version o02468

On my OSX10.4.11 PPC Macs, with CS v8.0, Apple- Stylus Pro 3800 v4.3(157.5) Epson driver v3.57, everything prints fine, eventually did the job on one of those machines.
machines.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:46:57 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:03:56 pm »

Which paper, profile, and rendering intent are you using?
Eric Chan

jjlphoto

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:43:08 pm »

Printing with Epson Premium Lustre Paper, Pro 38 PLPP profile and Premium Lustre Photo Paper media setting, and Relative Intent, BPC checked (see third screen shot attachment)

Side note: When I made my series of B&W portraits last week, using your ABW workflow method with your ABW profile on Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper, the area outside the bounding box remained un-printed on. Mus somehow be linked to the No Color Adjustment side of the driver.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:46:13 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjlphoto

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 04:28:15 pm »

Update: The printer only prints that faint tone outside the bounding box when 'No Color Adjustment' is selected in the Epson Printer Color Management pull down.

When 'Color Controls' is selected (or if I selected Advanced BW in the previous 'Print Settings' toggle), the prints come out fine.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:01:57 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »

I am guessing that if you use "Perceptual" intent that you also don't get that toned look. Could you do one more test with the same paper & profile, but use Perceptual instead?
Eric Chan

jjlphoto

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:53:14 pm »

Did that. Does it on perceprual. I do not believe it is related to rendering intents as the area being inadvertantly printed is outside of the image area (bounding box).

Epson has a firmware o02179 and driver 3.57 (for Tiger) posted on their site. I should probably download and install that.

Update- updated Firmware to o02179, still have the problem. My installed driver is the same as posted on Epson's site.

There must be some broken link in either the Intel version of OSX10.4.11, CS3, or the Epson Driver and it's handling of the CS3/ICC-No Color Adjustment workflow.

Guess I'll have to wait until I move to Snow Leopard to fix it. Right now, I will just do my ICC-No Color Adjustment printing on my PPC machines.

Screen shot on left is all the printer driver info on my Intel MacPro OSX10.4.11, shot on the right is my iMac PPC OSX10.4.11.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:04:19 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

PeterTinson

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 04:26:49 am »

Could this be another symptom of the colorsync problem with10.4.
Try setting the default profile in coloursync for the Pro3800 to Generic RGB.
In colorsync under devices, the EPSON Stylus P 3800 has a list of media types with one with a blue dot after it,
by highlighting it you have Factory Profile and Current Profile in the right window with a drop downnext to the Current profile.
With the dropdown select "Other". in the window that appears navigate to Macintosh Hard disk/System/Library/Colorsync/Profiles and select "Generic RGB Profile.icc" and click open.

This stops colorsync from interfering with the colors when No Color Management is selected in PS.

Peter
PeterT

jjlphoto

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:39:25 am »

Peter-  I have read some articles about Apple hopelessly wrecking ColorSync, and it seemed your answer would work. I followed your steps, but problem still persists.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjlphoto

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 10:15:18 am »

It's almost like it thinks I am making a proof and wants to make the paper have a tone, but only 'outside' the image area. Whites are still paper base white 'within' the image area. I made sure that nowhere was 'Proof' selected in my Print with Preview window. Still no luck.

Someone also suggested that I may have some sort of 'Print Background' checked. All I could think of regarding that was to look in the Output tab in the Print with Preview window, I went to Background, and it is set to white, 255/255/255, L100%. etc.

Even if I make the image very tiny, place it way down on the bottom of the page, the printer will not advance the sheet to where the image starts. It always starts printing right at the very top of the sheet and begins filling the page with the tone until it gets to the image.

My only work around is that I have to create a canvas size the exact same size as the max printable area for that particular sheet of paper, and send the print in that way.

-John
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:35:00 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »

Hmm, that's a good point, I have not tried printing from Tiger ... are you thinking it could be a Tiger x86 driver glitch?
Eric Chan

jjlphoto

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:47 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
Hmm, that's a good point, I have not tried printing from Tiger ... are you thinking it could be a Tiger x86 driver glitch?

Don't know what Tiger x86 is.

After tons of trouble shooting, it seems like some sort of OS issue as it affects my Epson RX680 in the same way. Almost as if it is trying to emulate some sort of proof by printing that tone. Installed drivers are the current ones posted on Epson's site. Photoshop CS3 is also last version posted.

Think of it this way. If you made a small 4" x5" image, and in Page Set-Up selected Letter Size, and positioned it way down on the bottom of the page in the Print Preview window.

On my PPC OSX10.4.11 Macs, all works as it should, the printer makes the paper feed all the way down to the bottom where the image starts, and then the head begins to print only the image.

On my Intel MacPro OSX10.4.11, no matter what I do, the printer always starts printing right at the very top of the page, the head travels all the way across back and forth, all the way down to where the 4" x 5" image starts. It prints a faint tone everywhere the image isn't, as areas within the image that are 255/255/255 stay completely paper base white. The offending tone is perhaps 254/254/254 or 250/250/250 (just a guess). Faint, but none-the-less there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:24:17 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up