Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: alternate for Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta for Z3200  (Read 10871 times)

kuau

alternate for Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta for Z3200
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:59 pm »

I got a roll of Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta 325 paper for B&W printing on my Z3200, I love the output but I am having feed problems with this paper and also I am getting what looks like head strikes. I have found that I have to manually feed the paper a few inches before printing but even then from time to time I am still getting lines. I think it's because the thickness of the paper and the curl. What other papers can I try for B&W printing on my Z3200.  I also have a roll of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta which is working great for color output and I am having no problems with this paper.

Steven

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:42:13 pm »

Quote from: kuau
I got a roll of Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta 325 paper for B&W printing on my Z3200, I love the output but I am having feed problems with this paper and also I am getting what looks like head strikes. I have found that I have to manually feed the paper a few inches before printing but even then from time to time I am still getting lines. I think it's because the thickness of the paper and the curl. What other papers can I try for B&W printing on my Z3200.  I also have a roll of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta which is working great for color output and I am having no problems with this paper.

Steven

Yep. I get excellent results with Hahnemuhle Photo rag baryta on my Z3100 for black & white prints, and for color prints that don't require much red/orange/yellow gamut. Your Z3200 will probably be better in this regard. I also really like Photo rag pearl; the surface texture isn't quite as fine as the baryta texture, but it looks a bit more organic or less machine-made to my eye. On Photo rag pearl I get a very good color gamut in all directions, so it's my main color paper.

I had serious cockling/buckling problems leading to head strikes when using HP's baryte fine art paper. Knowing that HP farms out the actual manufacture of their papers, and that they have a relationship with Hahnemuhle, I wonder if HP baryte and Hahnemuhle fine art baryta are basically the same stuff.

David Good

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:00:20 am »

+1 Photo Rag Pearl, available in rolls.

Dave

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:24:06 am »

Steven

Steven,
Do I understand that you prefer FineArt Baryta over Photo Rag Baryta for BW Prints? and what paper setting do you choose?
(I have not yet used FineArt Baryta but like The Photo Rag Baryta a lot for BW _ on a Z3100)

regards,
Pieter Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

kuau

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:47:18 am »

Quote from: kers
Steven,
Do I understand that you prefer FineArt Baryta over Photo Rag Baryta for BW Prints? and what paper setting do you choose?
(I have not yet used FineArt Baryta but like The Photo Rag Baryta a lot for BW _ on a Z3100)

regards,
Pieter Kers
Peter, to be honest, I never tried a B&W print with Photo Rag Baryta I was told that the FineArt version was better, what ever "better" means. I am using the setting I downloaded from Hahnemuhle's website. I have been printing using the gray scale mode in the HP driver. I have read that this is not optimal and to print using a rgb profile. What is your take on this?
I iwll give it a try and compare them

TomP

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:33:55 am »

Steven

Hi Steve,
Have you tried the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk? It's a great media for B&W printing and I have had no feed issues. Its also an pretty inexpensive media for a true Barium Sulfate (Baryta) layerd media. It really smells just like traditional B&W media, brings back fond memories of the darkroom.

Tom

kuau

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:02:09 pm »

Quote from: TomP
Hi Steve,
Have you tried the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk? It's a great media for B&W printing and I have had no feed issues. Its also an pretty inexpensive media for a true Barium Sulfate (Baryta) layerd media. It really smells just like traditional B&W media, brings back fond memories of the darkroom.

Tom
Tom I heard good things to about the illford Gold Fibre Silk, I think I will give it a try what paper preset do you use for it?
Steven

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »

I recently tried a few papers on the Z3200 and the results are on this forum.

For example:

Ilford Gallery Gold Fibre Silk:
Great blacks on Z3200.
Nicest finish of the lot except for two things.
The default GE setting still gives GD in the un-printed areas.
Lots of Pizza wheel marks even with extended drying time.

More here:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....st&p=278460
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:13:07 pm »

I tested a lot of papers before settling on the HM Photo Rag Baryta for my B&W prints on my Z3100. I am extremely pleased wth this paper.

Gold Fiber Silk performs well using the HP Baryte Satin preset and profile. It needs whole page GE and works best using Perceptual rendering when printing.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:27 am »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Yep. I get excellent results with Hahnemuhle Photo rag baryta on my Z3100 for black & white prints, and for color prints that don't require much red/orange/yellow gamut. Your Z3200 will probably be better in this regard. I also really like Photo rag pearl; the surface texture isn't quite as fine as the baryta texture, but it looks a bit more organic or less machine-made to my eye. On Photo rag pearl I get a very good color gamut in all directions, so it's my main color paper.

I had serious cockling/buckling problems leading to head strikes when using HP's baryte fine art paper. Knowing that HP farms out the actual manufacture of their papers, and that they have a relationship with Hahnemuhle, I wonder if HP baryte and Hahnemuhle fine art baryta are basically the same stuff.

Not in this case. HP Bayte is not a premium paper IMO. It has a nice feel, very sharp printing but otherwise isn't even close to the other papers. The two papers very close are Museo Silver ( if I remember right) and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. They are not identical, do not have the same paper structure but image wise and measurements show they are very close.
The Fine Art Baryta is a very good paper but PR Baryta is free of OBA, has a better surface for most types of photography I can think of.

Ilford is nice too, albeit a plastic feel leaves me questioning the true permanence of the base. For prints that don't need the permanence of rag papers then sure why not.

The surface of Harman is my favourite but it's not easy to print on due to curl and a very fragile surface for non aspirated platen.

mikelanto

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 05:59:36 am »

Quote from: neil snape
Not in this case. HP Bayte is not a premium paper IMO. It has a nice feel, very sharp printing but otherwise isn't even close to the other papers. The two papers very close are Museo Silver ( if I remember right) and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. They are not identical, do not have the same paper structure but image wise and measurements show they are very close.
The Fine Art Baryta is a very good paper but PR Baryta is free of OBA, has a better surface for most types of photography I can think of.

Ilford is nice too, albeit a plastic feel leaves me questioning the true permanence of the base. For prints that don't need the permanence of rag papers then sure why not.

The surface of Harman is my favourite but it's not easy to print on due to curl and a very fragile surface for non aspirated platen.

HP BARYTE IS the Hahnehmulhe photo rag pearl, except in weight (290 vs 320). The white and the surface is identical, and their response to the ink in the Z3100 (brightness difference in blue).  I am absolutely sure. Incluso box of 44".

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:23:43 am »

Quote from: mikelanto
HP BARYTE IS the Hahnehmulhe photo rag pearl, except in weight (290 vs 320). The white and the surface is identical, and their response to the ink in the Z3100 (brightness difference in blue).  I am absolutely sure. Incluso box of 44".

There is a lot of similarity on the coating side but I see that the base is not just lighter but also of another fiber quality in the HP Baryte. Texture at the back is more satin, not as soft and the fiber distribution looks very different when both are on a lightbox.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

neil snape

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:27:14 am »

Quote from: mikelanto

Well the guys I deal with at Hahnemuhle affirmed that they are definitely not making the HP equivalent. Yet you should know that the base paper is often coming out of the same mill.

The properties of the papers though are very different from all the tests I've done. Also the white point is only one factor which doesn't tell all where a paper is made. Look through a strong light and see if the base structure is the same> a test that shows papers similar like H PRB and Museo can be different even when most of the surface characteristics are similar.

mikelanto

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:20:20 am »

Guess some things will never be recognized even if obvious.

jjlphoto

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 10:41:25 am »

....I think it's because the thickness of the paper....

I thought I read a review that indicated that this printer's couldn't handle thicker stocks. Any data on what the max thickness is?

HFAB is indeed the thickest Baryta based on some samples I recently tested.
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=35392
HFAB-    .41mm
HPRB-    .39mm
EEF-       .33mm
HGFBAI- .327mm
IGFS-     .315mm

You could try the thinner Epson Exhibition Fiber, as it has a similar bright paper tone as HFAB, but it also has OBAs, and has wood pulp. The thinnest, IGFS, has a warmer paper tone that HFAB, but not as warm as HPRB.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:53:35 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

felix5616

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:01 pm »

Quote from: jjlphoto
I thought I read a review that indicated that this printer's couldn't handle thicker stocks. Any data on what the max thickness is?

HFAB is indeed the thickest Baryta based on some samples I recently tested.
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=35392
HFAB-    .41mm
HPRB-    .39mm
EEF-       .33mm
HGFBAI- .327mm
IGFS-     .315mm

You could try the thinner Epson Exhibition Fiber, as it has a similar bright paper tone as HFAB, but it also has OBAs, and has wood pulp. The thinnest, IGFS, has a warmer paper tone that HFAB, but not as warm as HPRB.
Yesterday i profiled HFAB on my Z3200. I think i like it better than crane museo silver rag. i made several B+W prints. Can anyone describe how photo rag baryta differs?

neil snape

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 03:59:57 pm »

Quote from: felix5616
Yesterday i profiled HFAB on my Z3200. I think i like it better than crane museo silver rag. i made several B+W prints. Can anyone describe how photo rag baryta differs?
The surface is more an eggshell type than a stipple on the PhotoRag Baryta. FA B has OBA and the white point is a different when measure and by eye slightly so depending on the amount of UV in the viewing light/reflections.  There are more differences as well as gamut but not that significant.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:10 am »

Today I've got a sample print from HP on HP Baryte Satin Art Paper printed on the Z3200. I'm not impressed - the blacks of a test print made on the cheap HP Professional Satin Photo Paper are visually darker.

The next days I will get a sample of the Tecco BT270 BARYT (270 g/m²)
http://www.tecco-photo.de/EN/produkte.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:58:42 am by ThomasK »

John Caldwell

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 02:32:46 pm »

The HFAB 325 has never given me head strikes or pizza wheel marks on the Z3200. It does give feed difficulty, but the workaround has been manual paper advance (1 cm or so) before printing. I think I used the default media settings for Baryta Paper when creating the preset, and made no special thickness allowances. I may have just been lucky without really knowing what I was doing.

I do like the paper when a bright whitepoint and high dmax are wanted - color or B&W. The prints have a muscular look to me, and the surface stipple is very much a part of the look. The H PRag Baryta, as offered above, is a fairly different white palette and surface.

John-
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:33:51 pm by John Caldwell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up