Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems with firmware for H3DII !!  (Read 2996 times)

photolinia

problems with firmware for H3DII !!
« on: May 16, 2009, 02:10:07 am »

Hello all,

I've decide to update the firmware on my H3DII-39.  Through phocus I uploaded R251 and then tried to upload the 081222 (maybe I should not have)
the first one uploaded ok, the second one gave an error...

since then, I am getting constant errors from the camera - no power for digital back, lens problem, busy indicator, and I constantly get the following error:
adapter SW needs to be updated, please supply external power.

I connect the camera to the computer, but nothing happens.

Can anyone suggest what I should do?!

thanks!!

-ilya

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:06:33 am »

On the Hasselblad site there are also packages with older firmware. I would try updating this first (don't forget to take the lens & viewfinder of the body first), effectively downgrading. This should restore your body to the previous functionality. After that try the update again. As I recall I only needed to 1 to update body and back, the other package did give errors so I just skipped that one.

If you cannot find an older one, simply try updating the firmware again. I always had best experience with going to an older version first. I even have 1 package that I keep just in case of which I am certain it will function flawlessly. I always revert back to this one in case of emergency.

Afterwards you can check in your menu 4.4 (have pointed a lot of people to that lately) which firmware you have.

photolinia

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:40:44 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
On the Hasselblad site there are also packages with older firmware. I would try updating this first (don't forget to take the lens & viewfinder of the body first), effectively downgrading. This should restore your body to the previous functionality. After that try the update again. As I recall I only needed to 1 to update body and back, the other package did give errors so I just skipped that one.

If you cannot find an older one, simply try updating the firmware again. I always had best experience with going to an older version first. I even have 1 package that I keep just in case of which I am certain it will function flawlessly. I always revert back to this one in case of emergency.

Afterwards you can check in your menu 4.4 (have pointed a lot of people to that lately) which firmware you have.
Thanks - why is it important to hve the lens/viewfinder off?  

also, I'm not sure I see the older firmware - I only see three and one is for H3DII-50, which mineis not...

thank you so much for thre help!!

i had a chance to try the 081222 upgrade again it the camera got turned off right as it started then I got the lost communications error from PC - basically same as before. then the same sequence of lost back power / needed to upgradeadapter SW error and now the PC will not see the camera again...

-ilya

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:03:24 pm »

The software simply wants to have both off. If they are not off it will ask you to take them off. I have had my firmware upgrade go sour on more than 1 occassion after that which is why I advice you to do so beforehand.

Hmmm... it does state now in the read-me for the 081222 version to leave them on. I am still used to flexcolor where you should take them off, as a matter of being used to that I always do so.

From the readme..

Procedures for updating capture unit firmware via Phocus:

1. Unzip the downloaded file.
2. Make sure your camera is turned on.
3. Connect your complete camera, inclusive the capture unit, lens and viewfinder to Phocus.
3. Go to "File" and then "Update Firmware" and locate the desired firmware package (.cim) on your computer, and click "Update".
4. Follow the instructions provided from the software carefully! Do not switch off the camera during the update process, unless specifically requested by the Phocus software.  
5. When the update has been finalized, please check that the firmware has been updated and that your equipment works ok.

Try again with the firmware that did work before doing something else. I have both the R249 & 081222 on my setup disk and I am not sure but one of them did not work. I see on the Hasselblad site you can now only get R251 & 081222. Try R251, the other is combined body & back.

Another option that you can do is the following. Download flexcolor 4.8.6. It will also have a firmware in it (R245). Most definitely an older version. Install flexcolor, it will ask you whether you want to update the firmware, it will warn you that you will be putting an older version in. Do so.

Try again with the newer firmware after that.

You have to be a bit patient and try. I have had firmware screw-ups more than once even to the point of totally bricking the body or at least it seemed that way. Even that is fixable but I have to dig pretty deep in my memory and archive to find how to do that but at this moment you are not yet at that point I believe. The first time can be disconcerting but after that you start realizing most stuff is user fixable.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:05:42 pm by Dustbak »

photolinia

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:58:37 pm »

Thank you so much for your help!
I removed both the viewfinder and the lens, but with or without them I simply can not get phocus to see the camera when I plug it in.
I see that the camera responds when I plug the firewire cable in by changing the display, but the software no longer sees it...
I'll try to run flexcolor - I already have it installed...

I wonder if there is a support line I can call from Hasselblad to have someone help with troubleshooting this,,,

thanks!
-ilya

Quote from: Dustbak
The software simply wants to have both off. If they are not off it will ask you to take them off. I have had my firmware upgrade go sour on more than 1 occassion after that which is why I advice you to do so beforehand.

Hmmm... it does state now in the read-me for the 081222 version to leave them on. I am still used to flexcolor where you should take them off, as a matter of being used to that I always do so.

From the readme..

Procedures for updating capture unit firmware via Phocus:

1. Unzip the downloaded file.
2. Make sure your camera is turned on.
3. Connect your complete camera, inclusive the capture unit, lens and viewfinder to Phocus.
3. Go to "File" and then "Update Firmware" and locate the desired firmware package (.cim) on your computer, and click "Update".
4. Follow the instructions provided from the software carefully! Do not switch off the camera during the update process, unless specifically requested by the Phocus software.  
5. When the update has been finalized, please check that the firmware has been updated and that your equipment works ok.

Try again with the firmware that did work before doing something else. I have both the R249 & 081222 on my setup disk and I am not sure but one of them did not work. I see on the Hasselblad site you can now only get R251 & 081222. Try R251, the other is combined body & back.

Another option that you can do is the following. Download flexcolor 4.8.6. It will also have a firmware in it (R245). Most definitely an older version. Install flexcolor, it will ask you whether you want to update the firmware, it will warn you that you will be putting an older version in. Do so.

Try again with the newer firmware after that.

You have to be a bit patient and try. I have had firmware screw-ups more than once even to the point of totally bricking the body or at least it seemed that way. Even that is fixable but I have to dig pretty deep in my memory and archive to find how to do that but at this moment you are not yet at that point I believe. The first time can be disconcerting but after that you start realizing most stuff is user fixable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up