Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC / Mac Questions?  (Read 2408 times)

BikerJim

NEC / Mac Questions?
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:20:29 pm »

Hi, I'm Jim, and I'm kind of new to this forum.
I've done some searching here, trying to get a few answers and I've found some.
But I still have a number of unanswered questions.
I'm taking delivery of a Mac Pro (early 2009 model), OS 10.5.6, 2.93GHz quad-core, with the standard Nvidia GeForce GT 120 512mb card.
I am looking at monitors and settled on either a 30" or 26" NEC Multisync (LCD2690WUXi or LCD3090WUXi).

1. I already have a X-rite eye-one 2. Will it work as good or the same as the NEC puck?
2. Do I need to get the NEC Spectraview calibration software?
3. I have read about the problems concerning the Mac Pro/OS X and calibrating
     these monitors. I can't find any info that this issue has been resolved yet?
4. If these problems still exist, are there work a rounds or alternatives?

And lastly, (yea right) -
5. I'm still kind of confused regarding all the extra numbers and letters at the end
    of the NEC model designations and what the represent - WQXi, WQXi-BK, WQXi2.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if the questions are kind of beginner-ish.
Obviously I don't want to make any mistakes with this kind of bread on the line.

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
NEC / Mac Questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:00:41 pm »

I think almost all of your questions are answered on the FAQs available on the NEC website:

http://www.necdisplay.com/supportcenter/mo...ectraview2/faq/

Both of the displays you are considering work fine with the Mac Pro with Nvidia GeForce GT card when you use the DVI output.

W = widescreen
QX = Quad XGA resolution
i = IPS LCD panel
-BK = black bezel
2 = second generation

I would recommend you at least try your current iOne Display 2. You can always upgrade to the custom calibrated one later if you want.

The calibration software is available for purchase both on CD-ROM and download formats from the NEC website.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

rhdny

NEC / Mac Questions?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »

Will, thank you for your information and thanks to NEC for updating the compatibility page on www.necdisplay.com now that 10.5.7 has been released.  

In your note above you say "Both of the displays you are considering work fine with the Mac Pro with Nvidia GeForce GT card when you use the DVI output."  Are you in a position yet to confirm compatibility between these same displays and the MacPro (early 2009 model) with ATI 4870 card using the DVI output?  the Mini DisplayPort output?

Thanks,
Richard D

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
NEC / Mac Questions?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:52:35 pm »

The ATI 4870 card still seems to be causing some issues with NEC and some other 3rd party displays. Some users have reported that OS 10.5.7 improved things, but we still need to do some more testing. We are working with Apple on this issue.

Will

Quote from: rhdny
Will, thank you for your information and thanks to NEC for updating the compatibility page on www.necdisplay.com now that 10.5.7 has been released.  

In your note above you say "Both of the displays you are considering work fine with the Mac Pro with Nvidia GeForce GT card when you use the DVI output."  Are you in a position yet to confirm compatibility between these same displays and the MacPro (early 2009 model) with ATI 4870 card using the DVI output?  the Mini DisplayPort output?

Thanks,
Richard D
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up