Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it Really the Destination?  (Read 10636 times)

howard smith

Is it Really the Destination?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 11:19:30 am »

Some one once said "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."  Take what you can get when it comes.

I am goal minded with a short attention span.  Besides, I think the goal is what "later" was invented for.  Most of my photographic disappointments were reaching the goal only to find nothing is happening.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 06:25:29 pm »

Like many have stated, my ever-increasing trend it is to let it happen as it comes. I no longer have specifics in mind when I set out for a destination. Way more productive and personal work comes about when I am free as a bird.

Note: this approach is not recommended for wedding gunners.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

didger

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 01:58:56 am »

Hey, time to call the news services again.  This has got to be a record number of messages in a row with no disagreements whatsoever.  In fact, we're all really just saying the same thing using slightly different words.

Now maybe we're ready to try the same philosophy on a more challenging level.  Life in general works just like photography; better if you live for the moment rather than goals.  Do as I say, not as I do, however.  I can hardly wait to get the D2X and am already dreaming about MF digital.  Phoooey!!

glenndavyphoto

• http://www.glenndavy.com
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 10:52:40 am »

Ahhh, yes!  "Factor 1" is exactly my dilemma!  I can get back to that location on any weekend morning.  However, will I ever see that exact combination of sun angle, sun direction (actually the sun was still below the horizon, but it still was a major factor in the shot), humidity and weather conditions again?  Maybe or maybe not.  I've not yet seen the same conditions I passed up on my way to work 8 months ago that I'm kicking myself over for not stopping to this day.

My proposed trip to the Maritimes may be another matter.  It's a solid 1.5 days drive down there if I don't stop for photos along the way.  Yet, that might mean missing some great opportunities.  If I take a 2 week holiday, then that's not a big deal to stop along the way, but that means I can't go back in the summer, and later again in the autumn.  If I do a 1 week trip, then if it takes 3 days to get there because I'm shooting along the way, then I only have 2 days down there (3 down, 3 back and 2 there = 2 weekends + 1 week).  That might be hoping for a lot to get the weather, etc. I need/want while I'm there in that short of time.  If I don't shoot on the way, I have a better chance (and I'm assuming here I'd only shoot fairly early in the morning and after I'm stopped for the night in the evening) of getting more stuff in Nova Scotia (apple blossom time) given I'd be shooting for 5 days instead of 2 at my destination.  BUT, once again I might pass up a lot of good things on the way down and back, and come up with squat down there.  

Maybe I should fly down so I won't know what I'm missing?...      Hhhhhhhmmmmmmnnnnnnn ???

Glenn
(maybe I should drop photography and take up a new hobby - like basket weaving - I hear they let you do that in "The Home"    )
Glenn
h

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 12:16:12 pm »

A strategy that might help, at least for places which are nearby (however you wish to define that)- get up earlier.

...or stay up late.   :laugh:   More than once, at places and times of year where it's light late, we've pulled into the hotel and gotten dinner at nine at night (instead of the desired six) because of stops and side trips that were just too good to pass up.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

glenndavyphoto

• http://www.glenndavy.com
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 01:24:20 pm »

Yup, it's hard to stop once you get started, isn't it?  The middle of the day I guess is the best time to get from A to B.  Save the mornings and evenings for shooting.  Trouble is, at more northern latitudes those nice long shadows stick around for longer at either end of the day.  When I worked in the Arctic, I had the most beautiful sunset/sunrise I've ever seen!  I was flying my boss up to the coast near Coppermine (then Northwest Territories, now Nunavut), and we didn't take off from Great Bear Lake until 11 pm.  As we got north of the treeline, I watched as the sun sank towards the distant hills near the coast in the northwest sky.  It then travelled along the northern horizon just above the ocean and pack ice until about 2:30 am, then started to rise again in the northeast.  Not only prolonged, but absolutely gorgeous the entire time.  That was one area where there is no "bad time" to shoot  :: in the summer.  You'd always be shooting instead of traveling at that location.

Anyway, here's what I DID get from the trip that started this thread.  I hope you folks don't mind this.  It's small potatoes compared with what I passed up though.  Nuts  ??? .

Tobermory at sun-up - looking from Big Tub Harbour lighthouse to Flowerpot Island.

Glenn
Glenn
h

bobby sargent

• http://www.bobbysargent.com
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2005, 12:39:55 pm »

I like to be inspired when I see a location.  

I was watching the movie Tombstone and after the movie I was watching the extras.  I saw a spot about a place called Lone Pine Calif and the Alabama rocks outside of town.  I was hooked.  5 weeks later I was flying into Las vegas and headed out to Lone Pine.

Well after a 5 day stop over in Death Valley I hit Lone Pine and spent 3 days walking around looking the place over.

Inspired for sure.  Now I am going back with 2 figure models and we will spend about 4 days shooting artistic nudes in landscapes there.

So if I am inspired about a place there I go.  If I want something different I just pack up and go.  So I win either way you look at it..bs

:cool:
Traveling Photo Shoot Trips.

Deat
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up