Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Ballheads + QR Plates? Kirk? Really Right Stuff? Others  (Read 10426 times)

mlevison

I'm in the process of buying myself a new tripod and ballhead. Gitzo seems the overwhelming (if expensive tripod). Now I'm looking at ballheads. My needs
  • D300 and 80-200/f2.8 - its a slightly older model (9yrs?) so it weighs a bit.
  • Shooting a bit of everything: Landscape; Macro; Portrait etc.
  • Lightweight - will be used while travelling and hiking.

The two obvious ones so far are the Kirk BH-3 and Really Right Stuff BH-40. The Kirk seems to be about $100 cheaper. Is there a big difference between the two? Is there another ballhead to consider?
In addition what Quick Release plates to you use? Do any of them have DRings that I can use with my Black Rapid Strap?

Confused in Ottawa
Mark Levison

Mark Levison - Agile/Lean Transition Coach ||    Agile Editor @ InfoQ || Blog: www.notesfromatooluser.com

DarkPenguin

Best Ballheads + QR Plates? Kirk? Really Right Stuff? Others
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:00:06 pm »

If it is small and light enough for you I'd get the BH-3 over the BH-40.

Have you considered the acratech ultimate ballheads?  I've seen some pretty big cameras put on them.

Edit: As I think about Ben's comment below and my own experience I think most of my preference for the BH-3 revolves around much longer lenses than the 200mm mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:34:07 pm by DarkPenguin »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »

I have the BH-40 with a lever release. It truly is an absolute pleasure to use in the field. When you have the lever positioned right (you can pull it out then drop it into the most comfortable angle for you) and the torsion set, the difference between open (with torsion) and fully locked is a 90 degree turn and the beauty is that being a 'handle' you can always see at what position it is at so you know if you're fully locked down or not. The pano control is also great, that cog wheel is perfect for being able to open or close even with gloves or in my case if you have weak fingers. Just so easy to manipulate. The pictures don't give you the impression of just how small this head is, I was used to the Manfrotto 468MG and the RRS is a fraction of the size and weight while being just as strong. Like RRS suggest I wouldn't use the head for a lens longer than 200mm, nothing to do with weight but you would want a bigger head with bigger controls to comfortably use longer lenses such as a 300mm+.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:01:15 pm by pom »

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »

I'll echo the suggestion to look at the Acratech product, too.

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:59:28 am »

A third vote for the Acratech. It's light and its design is very simple.
Francois

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:29:15 am »

I almost forgot.  I buy L brackets from both Kirk and RRS.  Generally the RRS brackets have been better on my cameras.  (Lighter and single connecting point rather than two.  Which is nice if you like to ditch the bracket to reduce bulk/weight when you aren't carrying your tripod.)  But it does depend on the camera.  Check user reviews to see which gets in the way of what.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 01:19:02 am »

Another vote for the RRS bracket. I have a Markins Q10 ballhead, small & lightweigt that I'm using with a Canon 5D and the 70-200. Works fine.
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php?req=trv

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:42:50 am »

If you have a L bracket one of the best ballhead is a   Burzynski  >> http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:42 am »

Quote from: mlevison
I'm in the process of buying myself a new tripod and ballhead. Gitzo seems the overwhelming (if expensive tripod). Now I'm looking at ballheads. My needs

The two obvious ones so far are the Kirk BH-3 and Really Right Stuff BH-40. The Kirk seems to be about $100 cheaper. Is there a big difference between the two? Is there another ballhead to consider?
In addition what Quick Release plates to you use? Do any of them have DRings that I can use with my Black Rapid Strap?

Confused in Ottawa
Mark Levison

Mark Levison - Agile/Lean Transition Coach ||    Agile Editor @ InfoQ || Blog: www.notesfromatooluser.com

For what you list - including light weight - http://www.markins.com/

I have their M10 and would not trade it for a Kirk, RRS or Arca Swiss if someone gave me money. I travel worldwide. The Markins is exceptional.

If you not believe me, do a search on Nikoninans.org. That was where I first learnt of the Markins brand. Since my Nikon days I have upgraded to medium format and large format, and keep my M10.

Regards
Anders

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »

Hi,

Here is my take on the issue:

I used to have Velbon Sherpa Pro 630 (also nown as the Carmagne) first with the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead than the Really Right Stuff BH-40. Both these heads are good. I mostly bought the RRS BH40 because it has a lever type QR-plate. Tripod and heads work well with all my lenses up to 400/4.5 with extender.

I recently upgraded to Gitzo GT3541LS. That tripod is even more stable. The main advantage is that it lacks center column. My Acratech and RRS BH50 heads work both fine and I have not decided yet which one to use. My major issue with the Velbon was that there was a certain amount of sag when locking the head so composition was shifted. On the Gitzo I don't see that kind of sag so I think it may have been caused by the center column.

In my view the Velbon Sherpa Pro 630 is a very good tripod, certainly worth consideration.

Regarding QR I'd suggest that the Arca type QR is the best design. I hade Manfrotto QR's for a long time and arrived at the conclusion that they are bad designs.

I hade quite a few tripods:

Gitzo Reporter 203? (Nice but not good)
Manfrotto 190 (Quite good)
Manfrotto C55 (Quite bad)
Two Velbon Sherpas, both 630 (Very good)
Gitzo GT3541LS (Promising...)

The Gitzo is very close in weight to the Velbon 630, perhaps 200 grams heavier. (The Gitzo with the Acratech is 65 grams heavier than the Velbon 630 with the RRS BH40).

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: mlevison

Confused in Ottawa
Mark Levison

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:43:03 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Slough

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 05:21:55 pm »

I guess you want to look at RRS, Kirk, Acratech, Markins, Arca Swiss (Z1 and B1) and maybe even the Manfrotto 486. Few people have used more than 1 brand. For a moduest load such as your, I suspect that any should do. For what it's worth, the Markins M10 is very well made, with a very tough finish, smooth ball action, and excellent controls. The same is probably true of most if not all others. Of those brands, I think the M10 can carry the heaviest load. The Acratech looks a bit fiddly and the controls looks a bit painful, but I've never used one, so I might be mistaken. Oh yes, and there is the Photo Clam too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up