Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC 2690 WUXii and sharpness  (Read 2520 times)

popum

NEC 2690 WUXii and sharpness
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:57:17 am »

I was wondering what sharpness settings people use with their 2690's. Mine came set to 33% which was much too soft for me. I increased it (via tag 7 on the menu) to 50% which looks better to me. I was wondering what others have done to sharpness and what other variables they might have changed to make the image better.

Thanks

Mike

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17:34 pm »

Quote from: popum
I was wondering what sharpness settings people use with their 2690's. Mine came set to 33% which was much too soft for me. I increased it (via tag 7 on the menu) to 50% which looks better to me. I was wondering what others have done to sharpness and what other variables they might have changed to make the image better.

Thanks

Mike

I think thats a good question and it will be interesting to see what people have set it to. Hopefully more owners post their settings.

Myself on my 2690 Wuxi - I have left it at default (27% from memory) - which is arguably a little soft (certainly soft compared to my macbook pro's screen, which often sits next to the 2690 for judging how images will look on the average jo's screen). I find the default sharpening better left alone as its easier to judge the capture and output sharpening applied to an image during processing. In other words, its easier to see the sharpening as its being applied with the monitor left at its default sharpening setting.

The danger of cranking up the sharpness on any monitor or display is you run the risk of the monitor generating its own sharpening artifacts (halos etc) - which makes judging the capture sharpening virtually impossible.

If you are going to experiment with monitor sharpness settings you definately want to use the appropriate test pattern and know what you are looking for with edge halos. Any monitor generated edge artifacts are going to obscure detail and make getting accurate capture sharpening impossible.

Like you - I am very interested to see how others have this set.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:30:15 am »

I always wondered what was the best value for this, but was afraid to temper with it, so I left it at its default value of 27%.  Any expert input and advise about this please will be highly appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up