Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with H3DII-39 leaking current  (Read 1592 times)

photolinia

Help with H3DII-39 leaking current
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:26:22 am »

Hi all,

I purchased a very lightly used H3DII-39 (140 actuations) from Kurland photo in NY.  Got the camera delivered yesterday and found that the bettery that was on it was dead.  I did not think much of it.  Replaced the other battery and fully recharged the original one.
I only had a chance to shoot a few test frames last night, but this evening when I took out the camera, it again had a fully drained battery - the power would not come on at all.  I again replaces the battery, and found that within about 10 minutes of sitting idle, the power already went down from 100% to 95%.  It looks like the camera may be leaking current in the off state.  I plan to call Kurland tomorrow, but in the mean time would greatly apreciate if anyone could share thoughts or possible similar experiences with this...

I also received a 100 / 2.2 lens with the hood that does not attach in te reversed position (I tried for abot 10 miutes) I have no problems attaching the hood of the 80mmlens in both positions, as well as attaching the 100mm hood in the straight position, bt not in the revers one.  This is not a big deal I guess, but it would be better if a $3k lens was a little more mechanically sound...

My Hasselblad experience is off to a rough start...

Thanks!
-ilya

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:33:57 am »

I also own the 100. I have no problems attaching the hood reversed. As it is my most used lens I would find it totally unacceptable not being able to mount it smoothly both ways. I assume you did pay attention to the little dots and arrows for mounting, you also checked for anomalies in the hood?

The battery problem is unfamiliar to me. Have you tried charging the battery fully, taking it off the body for about the same time it earlier took to drain it and than put it back on? This way you can check wether there is a problem with the battery or with the combination body/battery.

Considering the fact the body only had 140actuations (you did check menu 4.4 to see the actuations of the body & lens?) and you just bought it, you should have Kurland fix this for you. I am sure they will help you out.

Sorry to hear you are off to a rough start.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:37:10 am by Dustbak »

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:37 am »

Quote from: photolinia
Hi all,

I purchased a very lightly used H3DII-39 (140 actuations) from Kurland photo in NY.  Got the camera delivered yesterday and found that the bettery that was on it was dead.  I did not think much of it.  Replaced the other battery and fully recharged the original one.
I only had a chance to shoot a few test frames last night, but this evening when I took out the camera, it again had a fully drained battery - the power would not come on at all.  I again replaces the battery, and found that within about 10 minutes of sitting idle, the power already went down from 100% to 95%.  It looks like the camera may be leaking current in the off state.  I plan to call Kurland tomorrow, but in the mean time would greatly apreciate if anyone could share thoughts or possible similar experiences with this...

Thanks!
-ilya

I have seen that happen with an H3D II loaner recently so it can happen. The battery would go flat in under 24 hours. It sounds like a warranty issue to me. The camera should be able to sit for weeks unused with little effect on the battery. If it has only been used tethered. then the previous owner may not have been aware of the problem.

Once you get this sorted, you will have a stunning piece of equipment.

Cheers,
Jeff
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:29:12 am »

Thanks!
-ilya

Hey Ilya,

Sounds like a warranty issue so I would suggest a visit to Kirkland again.

With the Lens Hood, the mounts for use and storage are different, so I would imagine it has been damaged at some point.  Just check though that the arrows are lined up.

Best,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

photolinia

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:44:32 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hey Ilya,

Sounds like a warranty issue so I would suggest a visit to Kirkland again.

With the Lens Hood, the mounts for use and storage are different, so I would imagine it has been damaged at some point.  Just check though that the arrows are lined up.

Best,

David

Unfortunatelly I live in Southern Californa and visiting Kurland would require a long trip...  
It actually looks like with the second battery it stayd at 95% overnight, so it could be just an issue with the previous battery that was in it and perhaps the first one really did arrive out of charge...  I'll pray that this is the case.
Really do not want to start by shipping the camera to be repaired...

Thanks for feedback.
-ilya

Peter Bur

• Professional London Photographer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:09:53 am »

Hi all,

I also received a 100 / 2.2 lens with the hood that does not attach in te reversed position (I tried for abot 10 miutes) I have no problems attaching the hood of the 80mmlens in both positions, as well as attaching the 100mm hood in the straight position, bt not in the revers one.  This is not a big deal I guess, but it would be better if a $3k lens was a little more mechanically sound...

Thanks!
-ilya

Ilya,

I have had a similar issue with my H3D11 , you may wish to try resetting the battery.

Battery Re-set Info
If your camera display grip shows the battery as depleted, even though it
has been fully charged, you need to re-set the battery indicator level. Or the
display shows the battery as good, but the battery gives up very soon.

1. Using a battery that is FULLY charged.
Firstly, turn off the camera and remove the battery.
Press and hold the red on/off button to deplete any residual power in the camera.
The following procedure is a little awkward, we find it easiest to rest the camera in your lap to hold it.
To do this firstly remove the battery. Keep it close by.
Then hold down these 3 buttons together on the grip display:
Flash, Menu and red On-Off button AND now re-attach the battery at the same time as holding the buttons.
Wait for a beep. Now it is re-set.
Please Note:
The first time your power up a digital camera after following this procedure, it may not power the back. You need to remove the battery and put it back on. And now the complete camera will power up.

Hope this helps you out.

Peter.

Peter Bur
My Website www.peterbur.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up