Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MF backs on LF  (Read 2000 times)

dazzajl

Using MF backs on LF
« on: August 18, 2005, 06:24:16 am »

I use a Leaf Valeo on my Cambo Ultima and the combination makes for a great system. It is very very different to shooting with sheet film, no huge image on the ground glass and very short focal length lenses will affect the way you use and move the camera.

Once you've got used to the differences in working practice though the results are way ahead of anything possible with a digi SLR. Other than the cost of the back itself remember to account for the cost of a new set of lenses as anything designed to cover 5x4 will fail to deliver the quality that a tightly packed sensor demands.

If you have any questions about the kit, workflow, day to day use or anything else then ask away.

D  :)

dazzajl

Using MF backs on LF
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:36:13 am »

So normal 4x5 lenses won't cut it? I have pretty new schneider & nikkor lenses?

Fraid not.  I use Schneider Digitar lenses which have incredibly sharp resolution but with a far far smaller image circle than "real" 5x4 lenses. It's fairly logical I suppose when you consider that depending on the size of chip you choose it will most likey be sized somewhere between 35mm film and 6x4.5 but rival or surpass 5x4 in terms of output size.

On the usage side of things, am interested in how the back is triggered and whether that causes much hinderence in the field. I have only seen one picture where a cable was visible from the flash sync on one brand.
Some cameras have full electronic feeds built in to connect the back, shutter and diaphram so there would be no external wires to see. You can even have remote wireless trigger with full control over all aspects of the capture, apeture and shutter speed. Personally I dont really go for all that and connect with a lead that goes from the flash sync connection on the lens to the back to trigger it with the shutter.

If landsape is your thing then while these kits work well out in the field, to me it just feels all wrong. I had the need to try it on a landscape shoot and remember standing on a cliff top with a few 5x4 users enjoying the last light of the day and as everyone else loaded a sheet of film, I switched on the Valeo. The sound of the cooling fan humming away was just to alien in that environment for me and felt totally out of place.

The results were great and I even had the camera on the beach shooting the tide rising into some rockpools with the waves lapping at the feet of the tripod and can only praise the quality and reliabilty of the unthethered system........

.... BUT, while it's great for commercial work, I'll be staying with film whenever the process of making the shot means as much to me as the results I get.

futopillow

Using MF backs on LF
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 04:18:47 am »

Hi Folks,

I shoot a DSLR (Nikon) for colour and Large Format (4x5 & 8x10) for my black and white. With all the talk on this site and on the VJ I have become more interested in the proliferation of digital backs.

I love the movements on my large format, especially the 4x5 and have all the lenses. Most of the MF backs claim in some way to work on 4x5 - has anyone had any experiences.

I would love a self contained back on the 4x5, the scanning back that steve johnson had on one of the VJ's is a bit extreme for me.

Would appreciate any comments in this area.

Cheers, fp

futopillow

Using MF backs on LF
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 07:02:14 am »

Other than the cost of the back itself remember to account for the cost of a new set of lenses as anything designed to cover 5x4 will fail to deliver the quality that a tightly packed sensor demands.
So normal 4x5 lenses won't cut it? I have pretty new schneider & nikkor lenses?

On the usage side of things, am interested in how the back is triggered and whether that causes much hinderence in the field. I have only seen one picture where a cable was visible from the flash sync on one brand.

futopillow

Using MF backs on LF
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 09:33:43 pm »

.... BUT, while it's great for commercial work, I'll be staying with film whenever the process of making the shot means as much to me as the results I get.
Understood and I like the way your thinking.

This is why I still use film for my black & white work, I enjoy the process and spend most of my day on computers so it is nice to have a break. The process is important to me. I think some of us miss that when we get into the "which way is better" discussions.

I have however moved to digital for all my colour work to get a bit more control. Think I'll stick with my D100 for colour for a while yet - don't need to repurchase all my LF lenses.

Thanks for your comments!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up