Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Craig's Hut - Mount Sterling Victoria Australia  (Read 4310 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Craig's Hut - Mount Sterling Victoria Australia
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:51:13 am »

Took my new 4WD up to the top of Mount Sterling last weekend and took this series of photographs at dusk and dawn of Craig's Hut - which is an Alpine Hut on the mountain adjacent to the popular ski resort Mount Buller.

Craig's Hut is where they shot the film the Man from Snowy River. It burnt down in 2006 (I think it was) and was rebuilt to look like the original (as photographed). It has one of the best views in Victoria.

First time I have been up there - but I will definately go back (And put 4WD tyres on my X5 next time - the roads are pretty treacherous)

All were taken with a Canon EOS1DS MK3 and processed in Lightroom 2.3

Please let me know which you prefer and why and any other constructive comment appreciated - thank you.

Dusk - Seconds before the sun dipped below the mountains
Canon EOS 1DS MK3 w/ 24mm F1.4L MK2 at F8 w/3 Stop Soft ND Grad Filter
[attachment=13634:_74X64432009.jpg]

Dawn - Before Sunrise
[attachment=13636:_74X64962009.jpg]

Dawn - Before Sunrise
[attachment=13637:_74X65042009.jpg]

Dusk - Just after the sun set behind the distant mountains
Canon EOS 1DS MK3 w/ 70-200mm F2.8L IS at F11 w/3 Stop Hard ND Grad Filter
And just for fun - a 3 stitch panorama of the view from Craig's Hut at the top of Mount Sterling at sunset.
[attachment=13635:_74X64762009.jpg]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:51:36 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:16:21 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
Took my new 4WD up to the top of Mount Sterling last weekend and took this series of photographs at dusk and dawn of Craig's Hut - which is an Alpine Hut on the mountain adjacent to the popular ski resort Mount Buller.

Craig's Hut is where they shot the film the Man from Snowy River. It burnt down in 2006 (I think it was) and was rebuilt to look like the original (as photographed). It has one of the best views in Victoria.

First time I have been up there - but I will definately go back (And put 4WD tyres on my X5 next time - the roads are pretty treacherous)

All were taken with a Canon EOS1DS MK3 and processed in Lightroom 2.3

Please let me know which you prefer and why and any other constructive comment appreciated - thank you.

Dusk - Seconds before the sun dipped below the mountains
[attachment=13634:_74X64432009.jpg]

Dawn - Before Sunrise
[attachment=13636:_74X64962009.jpg]

Dawn - Before Sunrise
[attachment=13637:_74X65042009.jpg]

Dusk - Just after the sun set behind the distant mountains
Canon EOS 1DS MK3 w/ 70-200mm F2.8L IS at F11 w/3 Stop Hard ND Grad Filter
And just for fun - a 3 stitch panorama of the view from Craig's Hut at the top of Mount Sterling at sunset.
[attachment=13635:_74X64762009.jpg]

My favourite is the second one.
#1: I think that the hut is dwarfed by the foreground. My eyes go to the left side of the photo.
#3: I like the boulders on the bottom left corner but the angle of the hut is not ideal. If I could see more of the side of the hut, it would be a good as #2.
#2: Much better, the angle is more open and the soft light reflects on the side of the hut. The single boulder is enough and doesn't take anything from the hut.
#4: Very smooth & soft light...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:16:48 am by francois »
Francois

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:31:36 am »

I like the third one. Nice place

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:28:24 am »

Quote from: francois
My favourite is the second one.
#1: I think that the hut is dwarfed by the foreground. My eyes go to the left side of the photo.
#3: I like the boulders on the bottom left corner but the angle of the hut is not ideal. If I could see more of the side of the hut, it would be a good as #2.
#2: Much better, the angle is more open and the soft light reflects on the side of the hut. The single boulder is enough and doesn't take anything from the hut.
#4: Very smooth & soft light...

I agree with francois.  The fence leads eyes right out of the picture in #1.  I wasn't as bothered by the angle on the house in #3, but I agree that #2 is better.  As for #4, I think the composition is quite nice.  The only thing I would say is maybe a fraction more exposure to get more detail in the mountains on the right.  Nice photos.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:53:52 pm »

Of the four the panorama is my favourite, but of the first three, I also vote for #2.  Reasons already mentioned above.

Mike.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:54:07 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »

First one, the fence is too bright and pulls your attention away from the cabin. I think this image would lend itself well to a panoramic crop as there's nothing interesting in sky and the 'flow' of the image is very much lengthwise.

Between 2 & 3, the composition in #3 is more balanced overall, although I also prefer the angle on the house in #2. I think #2 could be improved by cropping from the top and right of the frame.

The last shot is nice. I might try to adjust for the tonal shift as  you go from left to right. You could use two adjustments, one to subtly brighten the right half and another to darken the left half just a bit. With gradient masks it wouldn't be too hard to do.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 03:47:12 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Of the four the panorama is my favourite, but of the first three, I also vote for #2.  Reasons already mentioned above.

Mike.

I'll vote for #2 also -- especially because of the way the hills fade away in Oriental-style perspective -- which, I think, is why Mike likes the pano best. I'd almost agree, but the presence of the shack makes the picture significant in human terms.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dalethorn

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:29:44 pm »

Interesting how the sky and secondary reflections from the hills influence the colors in the center (cabin, fence, ground). In the first image, the sun adds the expected strong red, but you can see blue tinges here and there, where it looks almost like the colors just didn't want to blend.

byork

• http://
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:37:58 pm »

#2 is my favourite for the angle and light on the side of the hut, but I do like the blending colours in the sky of #3. Inspires me to get down there....I'm told the Autumn light is just gorgeous in the snowy country.

John R

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:17:17 pm »

The light is superb. I particularly liked the last two because, to me they are stronger simpler compostions with greater interest. The last is a classic and the third has the boulders nicely balanced against the shack and the rest of the scene. The second, I think, has the boulder competing with the shack, despite the fine exquisite light on the shack. The first is not bad, but it suffers from the same thing most of my fence shots do, there has to be greater separation between the fence and and the subject (shack). The only way out, which I often do now, is step on the first rail of the fence or use a stool. But they are all good, some are better.

JMR
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:25:45 pm by John R »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 12:35:00 am »

Thank you everyone for the kind words and comments - its great to get other peoples opinions.

My own favourites are #2 and #3 in that order for the same reasons noted above.

The pano was just for fun - but have showed it to a few people now who really like it. The idea of a gradient to even the tones out across it is a good one - thank you.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 07:07:20 pm »

Good to see that good old Craig's Hut has been rebuilt after burning down yet again, and quite well from the look of it although there was some commentary about using tin for the roof rather than timber shingles. This would be the third or fourth version I think...this is what it looked like 10 years ago:

I love the light quality in your images, but I prefer the frontal aspect of the hut rather than the rear. Thanks for sharing.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica
Pages: [1]   Go Up