Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help with advice  (Read 4507 times)

zetra

Please help with advice
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:44:21 am »

I have to decide between Hasselblad 503cw kit with 80mm for about $ 2000 or for approximately the same sum to buy some DSLR Canon or Nikon – maybe Nikon D700 + 12-24mm.
The quality of picture is winning.
Please consider only between Hasselblad and DSLR.
Thanks in advance!!!

pixjohn

Please help with advice
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:40:35 am »

¿¿¿¿

What do you shoot?

What back is on the 503sw? Film- Digital?

very open ended question!

The Nikon kit is over $4500.00 do you mean 14-24 lens?

Quote from: zetra
I have to decide between Hasselblad 503cw kit with 80mm for about $ 2000 or for approximately the same sum to buy some DSLR Canon or Nikon – maybe Nikon D700 + 12-24mm.
The quality of picture is winning.
Please consider only between Hasselblad and DSLR.
Thanks in advance!!!

zetra

Please help with advice
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:03:52 am »

I will shoot mainly landscape. Tha hassy has film back but maybe in the future I could add and digital back. The Nikon is with lens 14-24mm.

pixjohn

Please help with advice
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:10:47 am »

the nikon is a deal around $2000? nikon new 2600 + lens new $1900 $4500 for $2000.00 ? take the nikon. If you don't want it for $2000.00 I will take  it today.

Quote from: zetra
I will shoot mainly landscape. Tha hassy has film back but maybe in the future I could add and digital back. The Nikon is with lens 14-24mm.

zetra

Please help with advice
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:24 am »

OK my question was which system will give more detail and natural colours because the pictures I will print for calendars. If we suppose that the price of both systems are equal then what would be your decision????

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Please help with advice
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:36:29 am »

That is a very difficult question to answer especially since a large part is also dependant on user operation. What do you mean by natural colors? Correct colors or pleasing colors? Are you planning to use a high-end scanner to scan the 6x6 from the Hasselblad? Which film with the 503? Are you planning to do extensive post processing? Are you any good at it? Have you taken stitching into the equation? Will the images be used in 1:1, 2:3, 3:4, etc.. format? And so on...

Point I am making is that either one could be your best choice all depending on what is important to you. Generally speaking, most people, nowadays are best off with the dslr but naturally that doesn't always apply.

It is kind of comparing apples to oranges. Both fruit yes....

Personally I would opt for the Nikon. Which doesn't say I believe that the 503 would be a bad choice. Simply not mine at this moment. I have stopped using film in 1998 even though I must confess I am truly tempted to buy filmbacks occasionally.  Try borrowing both and than make your decision after you have had some fun with them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:41:33 am by Dustbak »

zetra

Please help with advice
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:45 am »

Thank you Dustbak, I am tempted by Hasselblad because I could use many kinds of film and even later to put on it and digital back. I am really tired from Canon and Nikon batlle and to expect every 6 month to announce the next best DSLR but actually they are all the same every time.

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Please help with advice
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:28:07 am »

FWIW I've just sold my entire Blad/Leaf system and am changing to a 5dmkII. I've shot Hasselblad for around twenty years, neg to prints and trannies scanning on a drum. Moved over to a digi back in studio 4 years ago then untethered Leaf back two years ago. I enjoyed the shooting experience, methodical and thought out, shot less but most were keepers. However, the nature of what I shoot and what I am going to be shooting is changing and I feel that the quality and versatility of the Canon system suits me better now. I can use it for almost all applications where as the Blad could be a bit limiting in some situations. It is horses for courses I know but at the end of the day the difference in IQ between a decent scanned trannie on a Blad and a well exposed raw file from a quality DSLR is marginal. Good luck!

zetra

Please help with advice
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:23 am »

Thank you Buzski, I think you helped me a lot with your experience.

pixjohn

Please help with advice
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:10:34 pm »

Go Nikon and save the headache!

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
Please help with advice
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:39 pm »

If you're shooting calendars, get a Hasselblad. You got the A24 back, so you get two attempts for each month.    The square format will give you vastly more printing/cropping options and the possible resolution blows the doors off the D700. You'll have to go with a D3X to really get into the resolution and size of a 6x6 scan. Although, it'll be cheaper for you in the interim if you're set with computer/software and have the time/skill to do the post production to go with a DSLR assuming the camera gear is the same price.

I still own a Hasselblad 500cm kit and a few 35mm film cameras, but now do almost everything with a 5DmkII.

BobDavid

Please help with advice
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:21 pm »

With the Nikon kit you'll be getting a great wide-angle option which is great for landscapes. I'd forget about the Hassey. If you want to go medium format digital, buy an H camera that takes autofocus lenses and is truly a 21st century machine.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Please help with advice
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:44 pm »

A Nikon or Canon DSLR with a decent wide-tele zoom will be more than adequate for producing excellent quality calendar-sized images. Frankly, even if  somebody could prove to me that the MF film images would be superior in some way  -- and I doubt they could -- it would certainly be an insignificant difference at typical calendar size images.  So I think you can quality at worst case, equal...  Now compare the film workflow to the digital workflow, and digital will win hands-down.  

For sure, the old Hassy's are beautifully made pieces of machinery, so I understand the nostalgia around owning and using one -- kind of like driving an antique or classic car.   So if that is going to give you a certain pleasure over shooting with a space-age plastic and metal electronic marvel with lots of buttons, then that is a valid consideration IMO.  But the Hassy itself won't necessarily mean "better" images at the end of the day, and in fact will most likely mean fewer images total...  

My .02,

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

pixjohn

Please help with advice
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »

He can also trying stitching with the nikon if he needs more megapixels or file size.

zetra

Please help with advice
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:33:22 am »

Thank you folks. I really needed your pro advice and with sure I am going with Nikon or Canon. Maybe my choice will be Canon 5D2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up