Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got two days for photography near Las Vegas in early June, any suggestions?  (Read 5182 times)

ksklo

I will be going to Las Vegas early June, and after work I can actually spare two full days shooting, and initially I was planning to go to the Death Valley.  But with the heat, I was suggested to head out to Zion in Utah instead.  And of course the Valley of Fire is also an option as it is so close to Las Vegas.

My plans are to get out from Las Vegas in the afternoon of day 1, and need to get back to the airport by late evening day 3 so that I can catch a flight early morning day 4.  With this I can probably shoot days 2 & 3.  I will be committed to shoot all sunrises and sunsets on both days, and whatever is interesting in between.  What will you recommend? The Valley of Fire, Zion or Death Valley?  I know the high temperature there at the Death Valley, and I was prepared both mentally and physically to take up the challenge until I hear everyone calling me crazy...

And for all these places, if I only have two days, which attraction spots are must-go's and what time of the day would produce the most stunning pictures?

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

Bryce Canyon is only a little farther than Zion, and I think more suited to a quick photo trip. We spent several days in Bryce and part of a day in Zion (which was unbelievably crowded on a weekday in late June.) The light on the rock formations was great both very early and very late, and there were many good shooting locations not far from the road.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

summitgreen

Honestly I wouldn't go to DV. It's too little time. DV has a lot of driving involved, just to get there are only a few stops for gas stations etc.. everything else will be hot scorching sand and rock.  I suggest you spend more time doing a sunrise and sunset at both red rock and VOF  1 day each.  Or you can just go to ZION which is 3hours or so north of vegas..

I might be up in vegas early june for work.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography

Valley of Fire is only about 55 miles from Las Vegas.

http://www.parks.nv.gov/vf.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/nvval/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:32:22 pm by larryg »

jdemott

With the limited time you have available, I'd suggest Zion N.P.  Death Valley is definitely too hot and too much driving.  Bryce Canyon is about 5 hours each way from L.V. versus about 3 hours for Zion NP, so Zion would give you more time for photography and sightseeing instead of driving.  Also Zion will likely give you more hours of good shooting--the main attractions of Zion are in a deep canyon and there are several hours after sunrise and before sunset when you can often get nice warm colors from the sun bouncing off the canyon walls ( I especially like to shoot some of the reflections of the canyon walls on the river).  There are of course some sunrise and sunset shots such as the classic shot of the Watchman at sunset.  Plan to spend some time in the East Canyon which is great for photography, but not likely to be as mobbed with tourists as the main canyon.  The big drawback of Zion is likely to be crowds at that time of year.  Bryce is also a good alternative.  It is certainly a location that is suited for a two day visit.  In my mind, the only drawback of Bryce other than its distance from L.V. is that you are more limited in the times for best photo opportunities.  I feel that Bryce is best around sunrise--because of its orientation it isn't so good for sunset--and during the day it is quite open to direct sunlight which will make everything flatten out.  If you go to Bryce, there is an area outside the park and a few miles west of the road into the park where there can be nice light late in the day.  Also check out the bristlecone pines at the far southern end of the park.
John DeMott

summitgreen

I forgot to add. There is a "mini" red rock formations between bryce and zion.  It looks like tufas but just bigger and they are all red.  

Like JDEMOTT said... Bryce is best for sunrise.. don't forget the Queen's Garden if you go.

larryg

been there  I believe  "Red Rock Canyon"?

great at sunset  (they seem to glow)

jdemott

"Red Rock Canyon" sounds right for the name of the location I recall.  It is certainly descriptive.
John DeMott

vandevanterSH

and need to get back to the airport by late evening day 3 so that I can catch a flight early morning day 4. With this I can probably shoot days 2 & 3.
If you don't mind driving, you could leave LV in the afternoon and drive to Bryce and stay at Ruby's that night...get up early and get the sunrise at sunrise point, spend the morning at Bryce and then drive to Zion for the afternoon and evening light.  Stay in the Zion area and go back in the morning and leave for LV in the late afternoon.  This schedule is very do-able, I have done  similar trips several times...it has the potential to get good light at both locations but make sure you have reservations at Ruby's and in the Zion area.  You might try to get reservations at the Zion lodge which would make things really easy but it might be too late.  Have a good trip, whatever you decide to do.

Steve

ksklo

Thanks everyone for your advice.  Although final decision is not yet made, most likely it will be Zion and possibly Bryce.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Ken

summitgreen

certainly post photos when you have the chance =)

larryg

I have done that trip with only a few days.

You might schedule a sunset shoot at Valley of Fire (it is on the way and only about an hour or so from Las Vegas)  This would be a good finish to your whirlwind trip without going out of your way to any degree

wanderer63

hi Ken-
Since you have so little time I would highly suggest just shooting in Valley of Fire.  Subject matter is limitless there. Plenty to more than fill your time for morning and late afternoon/sunset shooting.  DV is just too far, so is Zion and Bryce for the limited time you have.
In VofF Rainbow vista is fantastic at sunrise.  Cross the road from the parking area and drop down onto the slope to lose the road in the distance and gain some great orange and yellow colors in the rock.  If you have time, go on foot into some of the canyon areas.  There are pullouts along the road as you head to White Dome.  I like the upper ones as these areas have great hues of purple, orange, yellow, reds in the rocks along with bizarre formations for close up nature shots or landscapes.  You have to venture a ways away from the road to find these.

You might know this already but being a desert environment the plants and soil are very fragile, especially the cryptogamic soil- that black mossy looking stuff.  We  photogs are sometime the most guilty in terms of trampling the environment when trying to get the shot.  Walk on rocks when you can or step lightly.  Heavy hiking boots are unnecessary.  Simple low cut hiking shoes or even gym shoes will do fine.

Best of luck!

Marie

Quote from: ksklo
I will be going to Las Vegas early June, and after work I can actually spare two full days shooting, and initially I was planning to go to the Death Valley.  But with the heat, I was suggested to head out to Zion in Utah instead.  And of course the Valley of Fire is also an option as it is so close to Las Vegas.

My plans are to get out from Las Vegas in the afternoon of day 1, and need to get back to the airport by late evening day 3 so that I can catch a flight early morning day 4.  With this I can probably shoot days 2 & 3.  I will be committed to shoot all sunrises and sunsets on both days, and whatever is interesting in between.  What will you recommend? The Valley of Fire, Zion or Death Valley?  I know the high temperature there at the Death Valley, and I was prepared both mentally and physically to take up the challenge until I hear everyone calling me crazy...

And for all these places, if I only have two days, which attraction spots are must-go's and what time of the day would produce the most stunning pictures?

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up