Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Expressions 2 Files - a Little help please  (Read 1250 times)

shuttersny

Media Expressions 2 Files - a Little help please
« on: May 12, 2009, 02:50:41 pm »

I am using Media Expressions 2 on a Mac, can anyone tell me where the previews , thumbnails and data is stored for a catalog. Looked in applications support folder but couldn't find anything and going over to the Microsoft Media Expression Forum yielded no answer. THe catalogs don't seem to be "packages" as with Aperture. Can anyone point me to where they are stored. I am concerned that in moving drives around I may "lose" the catalog structure.

T.I.A.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:18:53 pm »

It's simpler than you expect. They are inside the catalogue file - the ivc file. Thumbnails are always stored there, as is the data. Previews depends on a preference - by default each time you go to media view EM regenerates the preview from the actual picture file, wherever it may be, but there is an option (which I don't recommend) for storing previews inside the catalogue itself.

In Application Support you will find things like preferences, vocabulary editor files, metadata presets. but fundamentally everything you need is in the ivc.

John

shuttersny

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply and answer. - No one I couldn't find it! Looking for something that didn't exist - story of my life.
Anyhow I can imagine electing the option that includes a ful preview has got to ballon the size of the catalog.  I like iView I mean Media Expression because it is fast fairly solid  does all type of formats and you can reset the paths real easy.

I am working on a project where several people are going to have to access the image catalogs on different machines and different computers some cross platform as well as different locations and was hoping to give a copies of the main catalog with the preview folder - I use to do this with Portfolio but the resetting the path in Portfolio is a PITA.

I'll play with including the Preview in the catalog. IF we were dealing with just Mac I sometimes do this with Aperture.

Thanks Again.

Quote from: johnbeardy
It's simpler than you expect. They are inside the catalogue file - the ivc file. Thumbnails are always stored there, as is the data. Previews depends on a preference - by default each time you go to media view EM regenerates the preview from the actual picture file, wherever it may be, but there is an option (which I don't recommend) for storing previews inside the catalogue itself.

In Application Support you will find things like preferences, vocabulary editor files, metadata presets. but fundamentally everything you need is in the ivc.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up