Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20d VS 1D MKII  (Read 3243 times)

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
20d VS 1D MKII
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:55:06 am »

As I see it...

1DII Pros: You own lenses already/1.3 over 1.6 for wideangle, pro build-quality, water/dust-proofing, 100% viewfinder & extra-bright viewfinder, better low-light AF capability, better over 800 ISO capability, enormous battery life (over 2000 frames per charge), buffer size, frame rates if you need it, Pro-level control layout.

20D Pros: Lower cost for nearly identical image quality, lighter weight, more compact, built-in flash.

As for landscape, the 1DII is only slightly behind the 1Ds for detail rendering.  Given it has the faster buffer and better color off the chip, I would probably opt for it over the 1Ds UNLESS landscape was all I ever planned on doing with it.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 11:49:32 am »

Thanks, friends, for the supportive and informative comments!     I sure do miss the days when we could be the latest film camera and know it would be useful for a decade. I loved my Canon T90s. No with digital, the latest camera is not only less expensive in many cases, but much better. I don't think we have pixel peeping, we have pixel envy and its an expensive disease.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Randall

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 05:08:25 am »

I have both the 20D and the 1DMk2. They are both great cameras, but for different reasons.

The larger image sensor in the 1DMk2 does have less noise at higher ISO settings, but the speed is the real difference. If you shoot sports or other fast action stuff, then the 1DMk2 is the camera of choice. That said, it also is much heavier and add a few Canon L lenses to your camera bag, can be a pain to carry around all day. Personally, I use a back pack that does not "scream expensive photo gear inside".

The 20D is my snap shot camera and the camera of choice for the family vacations. I upgraded from a 10D when the 20D first came out. The image quality, low noise and fast focusing are big improvements over the 10D. The "normal" lens for my 20D is a Canon 28-135 f3.5 IS. It's great set up.

If you needs are modest in that you are not constantly making large prints above 11x14, you don't need the extra wide angle lenses and don't need the high speed buffer, then I think you will be very happy with the 20D. I love mine!

Enjoy.
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

JohnBG

20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 07:34:11 pm »

I'd been trying to make the same decision and finally ordered the 20D and grip from Dell for $1483.80 delivered. While the money isn't necessarily the issue, the difference in value finally pushed me to the 20D. My reasoning is that this camera will be all I need for the next 2-3 years by which time Canon will possibly merged the "1 series" into a single camera.

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:51:47 am »

With 1DMKII prices dropping to under $3,000, it this a better alternative than a 20D. I'm still on a D60 and have been agonizing between the 20D, a used 1DS, but now find the 1D MKII to be a good price. I mostly do landscape, some birds, and some documentary. Don't really need the speed of the 1D MKII, but the build quality is better and the 1.3 is attractive compared to the 20D's 1.6. For the latter I'd probablhy buy the new lenses, while with the 1D MKII I already have a 16-35 and 24-70.The weight of the 1D MKII is also an issue compared to the 20D.

Anybody out there experienced with both?
Thanks,

Peter
Peter Randall

RobertJ

20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 08:40:42 pm »

Picture yourself using both cameras in your shooting situations.  

In good hands, the 20D is just as capable as the 1D2, unless you're shooting sports, you lose 3FPS (8 vs. 5), which may or may not be a problem.  You'll also have a smaller RAW buffer, a smaller, lighter body that is NOT weather proof, no vertical grip built into the body, and a smaller viewfinder.  You'll also save plenty of cash that can most likely be used on a lens or two.  Decisions, decisions...

T-1000

Paul Sumi

20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 01:10:09 pm »

Peter,

I own a 1D2 and a 10D and use both.  Haven't used the 20D but the results I've seen are very good.  You seem to favor wide angle to short tele lenses so the 1D2's 1.3 FOV is an advantage for your current glass.

OTOH (this may not be an issue for you), with birds and other animals the 20D's 1.6 FOV would give you greater reach.  For example, a 200mm tele becomes an equivalent 320mm and with a 1.4X TC becomes 448mm.  I sometimes wish I had this extra reach when using the 1D2 and am now researching longer teles to make up for this.

Best,

Paul

ijrwest

20d VS 1D MKII
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:19:24 pm »

Another plus for the 20D is the 10-22mm EFS lens. This allows you to get a true wideangle, wider than the 16-35mm on a 1D2. I have been getting very good results with this lens.

Iain West
Pages: [1]   Go Up