Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get LaCie firewire 800 Express card to work  (Read 6343 times)

oolic

Can't get LaCie firewire 800 Express card to work
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:51:03 pm »

I bought a new Toshiba laptop, A305d-S6914, AMD proc. AMD M780V chipset. I and the computer tech cannot get the firewire 800 running. Upon inserting the Lacie 800 Firewire Express 34 card the laptop says it installed correctly. I the hooked Sandisk 800 card reader to the Lacie interface and could not read the cards. The tech said it was a bad card reader. I replaced the Sandick with a Lexar 800 card reader and the same results occured. Upon inserting/removing the LaCie 800 card you get the "bloink" noise. The device manager does not show either the Lacie 800 card and of course, nothing shows up in "my computer". When I Googled this problem, there seemed to be quite a few issues of this sort regarding the Sandisc card reader, but not any thing re the LaCie.
Any thoughts ? Ideas?

Thanks, Richard

oolic

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:57:58 am »

Oh!, The OS is Windows Vista 32 bit....Thanks

Quote from: oolic
I bought a new Toshiba laptop, A305d-S6914, AMD proc. AMD M780V chipset. I and the computer tech cannot get the firewire 800 running. Upon inserting the Lacie 800 Firewire Express 34 card the laptop says it installed correctly. I the hooked Sandisk 800 card reader to the Lacie interface and could not read the cards. The tech said it was a bad card reader. I replaced the Sandick with a Lexar 800 card reader and the same results occured. Upon inserting/removing the LaCie 800 card you get the "bloink" noise. The device manager does not show either the Lacie 800 card and of course, nothing shows up in "my computer". When I Googled this problem, there seemed to be quite a few issues of this sort regarding the Sandisc card reader, but not any thing re the LaCie.
Any thoughts ? Ideas?

Thanks, Richard

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:40:38 pm »

I have a firewire 800 express card that I bought to run my portable Lacie drives from my Sony Viao.  I could never get it to work.  I after some troubleshooting I thought I read somewhere that vista does not support firewire 800, so I gave up.

Dave

oolic

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 pm »

Well I thought I was going to be "Hot Stuff'. I bought a Toshiba laptop, OS Vista, with esata port and a Express card port. I figured I could use a Firewire 800 (1394b) Card reader and a FW 800 express card (Lacie) and get fast downloads to my External esata HD and desktop. Well, I could never get my FW 800 to work nor 800 to 400. After trying different FW 800 Card readers and different FW 800 express cards I gave up on the FW 800 idea although on a friends Mac Pro the FW 800 was very fast and proved the Lexar card reader to be working. I guess Firewire being a Mac design, there were to many incompatibilty problems.

Some tests and solution.

I loaded up a 4Gig Sandisk Extreme IV card with 3.77 GB of photos ( maxed the card out). Time to download the card to Toshiba's desktop with a cheapo card reader was 25 minutes 9 seconds (25' 9"0, or 2.5 MB/sec.  Time to transfer 3.77 GB from the Toshiba desktop to the Esata external hard drive a WD 640 black in a Rosewill case, was 1' 30" or 42MB/sec. A bit of Googling showed a new SanDisk ImageMate All-in-one card reader to be fast. It downloaded the 3.77 GB in just over two minutes to my desktop.

I'm happy...And a thanks to B&H for taking the cards and readers back with no hassle.

Just because components can be physically attatched and the manufactures state they are ste up to run on a specific operating system there is no guarantee that they will and a lot of stores will not refund your money or exchange the component for a different mfg model.

Regards, Richard

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:25:32 am »

Keep in mind that the Firewire ExpressCards do not provide power over the bus!! So with a device like a card reader, it will not work without external power. Most have a small jack on the side for to connect a DC power adapter, but in my experience, even that doesn't always work. I have had the same issues with PCCard USB cards as well.

Quote from: oolic
Well I thought I was going to be "Hot Stuff'. I bought a Toshiba laptop, OS Vista, with esata port and a Express card port. I figured I could use a Firewire 800 (1394b) Card reader and a FW 800 express card (Lacie) and get fast downloads to my External esata HD and desktop. Well, I could never get my FW 800 to work nor 800 to 400. After trying different FW 800 Card readers and different FW 800 express cards I gave up on the FW 800 idea although on a friends Mac Pro the FW 800 was very fast and proved the Lexar card reader to be working. I guess Firewire being a Mac design, there were to many incompatibilty problems.

Some tests and solution.

I loaded up a 4Gig Sandisk Extreme IV card with 3.77 GB of photos ( maxed the card out). Time to download the card to Toshiba's desktop with a cheapo card reader was 25 minutes 9 seconds (25' 9"0, or 2.5 MB/sec.  Time to transfer 3.77 GB from the Toshiba desktop to the Esata external hard drive a WD 640 black in a Rosewill case, was 1' 30" or 42MB/sec. A bit of Googling showed a new SanDisk ImageMate All-in-one card reader to be fast. It downloaded the 3.77 GB in just over two minutes to my desktop.

I'm happy...And a thanks to B&H for taking the cards and readers back with no hassle.

Just because components can be physically attatched and the manufactures state they are ste up to run on a specific operating system there is no guarantee that they will and a lot of stores will not refund your money or exchange the component for a different mfg model.

Regards, Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up