Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gradient tool so slow???  (Read 2934 times)

andyptak

Gradient tool so slow???
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »

The Gradient tool in LR on my desktop is so slow that it's almost unusable. Fine on my laptop though - go figure.

It takes several seconds to paste in and then does so very, very slowly. I try not to go too fast so it can keep up but it seems to make no difference. If I go to make any adjustments for exposure, saturation, angle etc., I could go get a cup of coffee while I wait for it to take effect. In short, the time lag is so bad, it's virtually unusable. If I go back in History to have a look see, it takes about a minute for me to see the change. The Brush is a little slow, but nowhere near this bad. All other functions are fine.

I'm running XP with 4 gigs of RAM and a Dual Core Pentium, and have an empty external HD for a scratch disk. I've defragged, run checkdisk, clerared out all unecessary crap, optimized LR etc., all to no avail. I uninstalled LR and then reinstalled and it's still the same. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Gradient tool so slow???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:49:10 pm »

Sounds odd, but it must be something in your setup. I use the gradient tool and it is instantaneous. (Similar setup to yours, except I am running Vista-64.)

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
Gradient tool so slow???
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:08 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
I'm running XP with 4 gigs of RAM and a Dual Core Pentium, and have an empty external HD for a scratch disk. I've defragged, run checkdisk, clerared out all unecessary crap, optimized LR etc., all to no avail. I uninstalled LR and then reinstalled and it's still the same. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

My old desktop was the same way, my new desktop and old laptop, less so.  I never nailed down what the problem was precisely, but my system config was similar to yours (XP, 2gig RAM, Pentium 4).  

My best guess was that the limiting factor was either the video card, or perhaps the processor itself.

Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

joedecker

Gradient tool so slow???
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:35:36 am »

Joe Decker

andyptak

Gradient tool so slow???
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:22 am »

Joe - thanks for the tip and link. I'm on the road for a few days so I can't try it out, but it sure looks promising. got my fingers crossed!

andyptak

Gradient tool so slow???
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:07:09 pm »

Joe- You were on the right track with that link. My video card doesn't have the same option settings as mentioned in the link, but I changed it to "performance" rather than "quality" settings. The damn thing sped up! Still not quite right, but at least you put me on the right track. Maybe a new video card? Thanks for the help.

joedecker

Gradient tool so slow???
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:29:44 am »

Quote from: andyptak
Joe- You were on the right track with that link. My video card doesn't have the same option settings as mentioned in the link, but I changed it to "performance" rather than "quality" settings. The damn thing sped up! Still not quite right, but at least you put me on the right track. Maybe a new video card? Thanks for the help.

My pleasure.  As to what to do next, hard to say, both graphics card and pure processor speed could be factors I'd guess, and I've never seen there not be some lag even on very fast machines.   If you've got a much older, or internal video card you can probably upgrade it a lot cheaper than the processor, even the middlin'-fast-video card in my new desktop (where LR runs quite well indeed) was about $150 (GTS 250).  One mistake I made--the board I got is probably just under what PS/CS4 needs for it's own use of graphics card effects, Adobe has on it's web site somewhere a list of video cards that can take advantage of video cards for CS4, if you use PS as well and you're upgrading your video card that's probably worth digging up.

Cheers!

--Joe
Joe Decker
Pages: [1]   Go Up