Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Resolution  (Read 1365 times)

KeithR

Printing Resolution
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:44:14 pm »

I'm sure this topic has been been discussed in various ways, but I still am trying to get my head around it. I have the Camera to Print tutorial and just went over the part on resolution a couple of times. I generally print at the native resolution(recommended in the tutorial)being anywhere between 180 and 480 ppi depending on the print size I choose. But in the tutorial, Michael and Jeff talk about up-rezing. My question is when/why would you choose to up-rez if your printing with native resolution? An example. I recently won a national award for an image I took during this past NFL season. I have been getting requests for some prints and I have the option of going up the max on my 4800, having settled on 3 sizes. All fall within the native resolution criteria, with the largest coming in at 181.8 ppi. for a 14.75x20.9 image size. What(and why) would up-rezing do in this situation? And yes, I intend to go back and re-read Jeff's article on up-rezing(it's in a "Favorites" page).
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

KeithR

Printing Resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:49:29 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
I'm sure this topic has been been discussed in various ways, but I still am trying to get my head around it. I have the Camera to Print tutorial and just went over the part on resolution a couple of times. I generally print at the native resolution(recommended in the tutorial)being anywhere between 180 and 480 ppi depending on the print size I choose. But in the tutorial, Michael and Jeff talk about up-rezing. My question is when/why would you choose to up-rez if your printing with native resolution? An example. I recently won a national award for an image I took during this past NFL season. I have been getting requests for some prints and I have the option of going up the max on my 4800, having settled on 3 sizes. All fall within the native resolution criteria, with the largest coming in at 181.8 ppi. for a 14.75x20.9 image size. What(and why) would up-rezing do in this situation? And yes, I intend to go back and re-read Jeff's article on up-rezing(it's in a "Favorites" page).

I meant to put this in the "Digital Image Processing" so if the mods what to move it, I'd understand.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Printing Resolution
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:53:27 pm »

I only upres when I need to get the final dpi to at least 180, and I usually upres in 100% intervals.  It's rare that I do expect for very large prints.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:53:38 pm by kaelaria »
Pages: [1]   Go Up