Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered  (Read 2898 times)

bcarmic

• http://bobcarmichael.com
Tethered
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:39:54 pm »

Is Adobe going to allow tethered shooting while using LR?  I'm facing moving to Capture One to accomplish this but really don't want to.  Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks

michael

Tethered
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:53:32 pm »

I have no idea of Adobe is planning on this or not, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Try this though...

Set up a Watched folder in Lightroom and then set this same folder as your Capture folder in C1. Shoot tethered to C1 and the images will automatically show up as well in LR.

Michael

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
Tethered
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:11:58 am »

I stopped holding my breath long ago.  I figure if Adobe wanted to add tethering they would have done so by now.  I can't figure why anyone ever suggests the LR watched folder work-around.  It's slow and it moves you file from one folder to another so you can no longer see it in your capture program.  Kudos to this guy who came up with a LR plugin called  Studio-Lightroom Tether.  Although I could never get it to work but other people apparently have.   Their stand alone app does work for me but defeats the purpose of working with LR for us.  I does go to show that it can be done.  Why Adobe won't do it is beyond me.
I switched to Aperture instead and hardly use LR as a result.  Tethered works flawlessly.

rcannonp

Tethered
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:06:22 pm »

Jeffrey Friedl wrote a folder watching plugin that doesn't require the files to be moved. Jeffrey’s “Folder Watch” Lightroom Plugin
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Tethered
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

Quote from: michael
Set up a Watched folder in Lightroom and then set this same folder as your Capture folder in C1. Shoot tethered to C1 and the images will automatically show up as well in LR.
Unfortunately LR is pretty slow watching that folder, wether its C1, EOS Utility or Nikon Capture bringing in the files. While C1, DPP and Capture all show the files as soon as they are downloaded, LR often pauses and later 3-6 images suddenly pop up. While this kind of lag may not be a problem for patient tabletop photographers, fashion shooting with demanding onsite art directors won't put it with it. Hopefully Adobe will improve this in LR3.

bcarmic, what camera are you using? If it's a Canon DSLR, you might consider Canon's supplied Digital Photo Professional (DPP), a surprisingly capable and often overlooked free alternative.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Tethered
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:53:32 pm »

I used the watched folder and have Canon EOS Utility bring the images in.
It's not as fast as I'd like but I don't care that much either. I shoot at least 2 frames per second and the Canon 5DII is pushing big files at light Room. Supposedly the Apple USB kext thing was fixed but no one has tried it where Apple sped up the transfer but crashed after going through 100> image on all USB tethered cameras.

I wasn't able to get any plug in to work for tethering. Capture One is very good at this, but my workflow is 100% LightRoom. You need a fast processor, lots of memory and it is pretty good. The girls often look at the images coming in to know if they are doing well on a large flat screen HD Sony.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Tethered
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »

I have found the Canon EOS Utility to be a little finicky on Macs - it will occasionally loose the connection forcing the photographer to re-establish it. Capture One never looses the connection and is far more reliable on Macs in my and my clients experience. Too bad - I'd like to see more people tethering to a Lightroom-centric workflow. Keeping fingers crossed on this and for CMYK export and soft proofing which C1 has had for years.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Pete Ferling

Tethered
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »

In regards to workflow, I can put up with eos utility to watch folders for now.  Part of my workflow involves using a new LRCat for each project, which keeps it small, fast and efficient.  I also use "minimal" previews, and capture to a disk array.  However, a direct LR teathered feature would help to pry my wallet open.
Pages: [1]   Go Up