Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printer review  (Read 6837 times)

framah

printer review
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:04:43 am »

I just set up my new 9990 a couple of weeks ago and still have my old 9600 hooked to my G4 so I sent the same file to each printer and was amazed at the visible difference in the prints from them. I'm really glad i finally upgraded to the 9990.

It really is faster and quieter and is giving me great prints... well worth the cost.

Also good to  see the new machines can handle the larger color range of  Prophoto RGB.

Still haven't printed my Antarctica images on the 9990 yet but as soon as I stop printing for my customers, i'll definitely get on them!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Jeff Kott

printer review
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:15:53 pm »

Does anyone know if or when Epson will deliver a printer with the same technology as the 7900/9900 in a 17 inch size (i.e., the 4900)?

framah

printer review
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:21:50 pm »

By the way... I seemed to have hit the 9 key once too many times.Of course, i meant the 9900. My bad.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

michael

printer review
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:58:50 pm »

Just a guess on my part, but given the head technology (size, weight, etc) of the 79/9900 head mechanism I doubt that we'll see a 4000 series version. This also has to do with the fact that this printer seems primarily aimed at the proofing trade, with photographers secondary, and proofing needs the larger sizes.

Michael

KeithR

printer review
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »

Quote from: michael
Just a guess on my part, but given the head technology (size, weight, etc) of the 79/9900 head mechanism I doubt that we'll see a 4000 series version. This also has to do with the fact that this printer seems primarily aimed at the proofing trade, with photographers secondary, and proofing needs the larger sizes.

Michael

Thank you for the review Michael! But I hope you're wrong about a 4K series. I understand and don't doubt what you stated, I'm just hoping they do come out with a 17" version though and I'm sure I'm not alone.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Jeff Kott

printer review
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
..... I'm just hoping they do come out with a 17" version though and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I can confirm you are not alone.  

Bruce MacNeil

printer review
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 05:35:51 pm »

The review of the printers was a nicely written piece. Excellent.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
printer review
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:56:06 pm »

Yes, another great review!

One question I do have though and it's in relation to the video. The ability to run the ink to empty while printing and then replace the ink mid way through printing an image without affecting the image printing quality. Does this only apply to the 9900 ?? or could I do this with my 3800 ?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
printer review
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 09:37:08 pm »

Quote from: DaveDn
One question I do have though and it's in relation to the video. The ability to run the ink to empty while printing and then replace the ink mid way through printing an image without affecting the image printing quality. Does this only apply to the 9900 ?? or could I do this with my 3800 ?
It worked flawlessly even on my old 2200. I haven't run out of any cartridge on my 3800 yet, but I expect it to work just fine there, too.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
printer review
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »

Thanks Eric

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
printer review
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 03:11:47 pm »

Quote from: DaveDn
Yes, another great review!

I've never tried it. While it may work fine,  it is not listed as a feature for the 3800.  It is specifically mentioned for the 48/78/98/11880 models as well as the 79/9900.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
printer review
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 06:15:17 pm »

Works fine on the 7600 and R1800, both older models...

laughingbear

printer review
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 03:27:49 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I've never tried it. While it may work fine,  it is not listed as a feature for the 3800.  It is specifically mentioned for the 48/78/98/11880 models as well as the 79/9900.

Interesting, I knew Michael was doing that, but I had no idea it is specifically mentioned for the 11880. My bad.... manuals.... LOL, the lights on certain colors are flashing since many days, and the pipelines are still all filled. What intrigued me in Michaels review are the new rotary trimmers, this seems to be a very fine improvement.

At first I was a little worried about the new Inks, but it seems I am not loosing out too much with my 11880, and I do not do proofing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:33:39 am by laughingbear »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
printer review
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:43:21 pm »

Quote from: michael

Michael

What I've heard about this - and it relates to what you say about the head - is that a substantial amount of redesign/re-engineering is needed to bring the 7900 technology into a 17" desktop format. Doing all this is costly, so there may be a question about whether such a product could be priced and marketed successfully to the target customer groups. That much said, it's not inconceivable that such a model will be produced, but not clear whether or when.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jeff Kott

Re: printer review
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

Michael

I just ordered my 4900 and am really glad your guess was wrong this time.   :)

Thanks for the great review of the 7900, it really helped me with my decision on the 4900.

BTW, your comment about the increased weight of the new head was right on. My 4800 weighs 88 lbs. and the 4900 weighs 115 lbs.

Jeff

rothberg

Re: printer review
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 06:45:29 am »

I became aware of this printer on this site

Here's the information:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesStylusPro4900/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes
Pages: [1]   Go Up