Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving HD movie files  (Read 1767 times)

NigelC

Saving HD movie files
« on: May 09, 2009, 03:56:45 am »

Sorry this is a very basic question. I can record HD movies on my LX3 and play them back on HD TV through the component cable. But if I save the files onto the computer, obviously I cannot do this. What options are there for saving movie files that I can then play back at HD quality - save to DVD? Do I need editing software to do this?

dalethorn

Saving HD movie files
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:30:34 am »

Quote from: NigelC
Sorry this is a very basic question. I can record HD movies on my LX3 and play them back on HD TV through the component cable. But if I save the files onto the computer, obviously I cannot do this. What options are there for saving movie files that I can then play back at HD quality - save to DVD? Do I need editing software to do this?

The '.MOV' file types can be played on the computer with QuickTime or iTunes, both free. But if you mean to play from computer to TV, you would need a HD video output on the computer, which might require some research.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Saving HD movie files
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:03:46 am »

Quote from: NigelC

If you make a DVD of the footage (one that can be played in a DVD player as opposed to a data DVD), it will be downsampled to 720x480 and will no longer be HD. iTunes is a good option for computer playback. For best playback quality, get a video card with HDMI output so you have a direct digital connection between the computer and the TV, or get a DDI-to-HDMI adapter (same image quality, but video only, no sound).

If you want to do anything but view the clips exactly as shot in the camera, you'll need editing software.

This really belongs in the Videography section.
Pages: [1]   Go Up