Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 Clogs?  (Read 1793 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Epson 7900 Clogs?
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:30:40 pm »

When I got this printer back in late December I experienced what seems to be the same "clogging" issues that several others on this forum experienced. I was busy and delayed getting Epson to come out to look at it, and the problem vanished. I have auto clog detection turned off (though it seems to work perfectly), and simply printed a nozzle check before each use of the printer so I would know what was happening. I did not experience a single clog, or do a single cleaning cycle for more than 2 months. During those two months the printer sat unused and powered off for two 2 week periods. A couple days ago, even though the printer is used daily, I did the usual nozzle check and found about 90% of the cyan nozzles missing from the check pattern. No other colors had any clogged nozzles, and not a single cyan nozzle has ever clogged on this printer before, even when I was having the initial problems. A "color pair" cleaning cycle fixed this, but the next day a couple cyan nozzles showed missing again. A cleaning cycle fixed that too, and it hasn't recurred.

Given that I know the printer can go months without a single clogged nozzle, and the fact that no cyan nozzle has EVER had a clog, I'm doubting more and more that these are clogs at all. It just doesn't make sense that there are fits of clogging, especially with 90% of all nozzles for just one color missing, with months of clog free performance in between. I'm thinking there is air entrapped somehow, sometimes, perhaps caused by temperature changes, or something. That's only a wild guess, but it makes a little sense.

I don't consider this anything more than a nuisance since a couple cleaning cycles in 2 months isn't exactly bad performance. But I did wonder if others are experiencing the same thing. Sometime later in the year (but before the warranty is gone) when things are less busy I may have Epson check it out. If so I'll post the results here.
- Dean

datro

Epson 7900 Clogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »

Dean,

I installed my 7900 mid-December.  Initially I had a few occasions where the printer would do the auto nozzle check and then initiate the auto cleaning. At the time I was still getting to know the machine and its behavior so I decided to wait things out to see what would happen over the next month or so.   I'm happy to say that since early January I have seen only two auto nozzle checks result in an auto clean being initiated.  Unlike most 7900 owners here on the board, I've left my "Auto Nozzle Check" set to"ON: Periodically", which means that every now and then the printer will do the Auto Nozzle Check and then depending on the results of this may initiate an Auto Cleaning.  So far, I haven't been compelled to completely turn off the Auto Nozzle Check, since it is now pretty rare that it finds any problems.  So like you I've wondered if the issues people are seeing may in fact be related to something other than clogged nozzles, e.g. air entrapment or whatever.

Like most everyone else, I do run a manual Nozzle Test Print each time I power up and before any major printing sessions.  It's been a long time since any of these nozzle test prints have revealed any issues.  (By the way, I've discovered that the lighted Sensor Loupe made by Visible Dust makes an excellent tool for inspecting the nozzle print patterns which can be a bit difficult to see, especially the yellow!).  

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up