Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock 35HR Sharpness issues  (Read 1216 times)

NROCH

• http://www.rochowski.net
Rodenstock 35HR Sharpness issues
« on: May 08, 2009, 06:53:49 pm »

hello,

this is a pretty in depth topic, so I'm not going to go all the way into the details. Joseph Holmes has done a couple of very in-depth essays on this which can be accessed through the luminous landscape news home page.

On a number of jobs shooting verified city landscapes I found my Rodenstock 35mm HR to be under performing. I am currently about to start a series of specific tests to really try and get to the bottom of this before I take the lens to Team Work Photo. They have been very helpful in offering assistance.

basically, when focusing to infinity wide open (on my arca swiss 69f-line micro metric orbix) with this lens, there is very noticeable fall off in sharpness to the right side of the image. The thing is that sometimes I seem to get a fairly acceptable image and its harder to notice the issue, but in these cases the lens may not be at optimum performance . On the whole though, if I focus the centre...the right hand side is no good.

When I tested the lens inside a 20x20' room, shooting a flat textured wall, wide open, there was no issue across the image.

Can it be that the lens's plane of focus can be fine at 20' but failing at infinity (for a subject that is 150' minimum)

Pages: [1]   Go Up