Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS 10.5.6 and Z3200PS printer  (Read 3187 times)

felix5616

OS 10.5.6 and Z3200PS printer
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:28:13 pm »

If there is anyone using MAC OS 10.5.6 with an HP Z3200PS printer i would like to know if there have been any problems/conflicts with the operating system and printer.

davewolfs

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »

Quote from: felix5616
If there is anyone using MAC OS 10.5.6 with an HP Z3200PS printer i would like to know if there have been any problems/conflicts with the operating system and printer.

Haven't used it, but there is a technical doc on HP's Z3200 download site that states paper presets cannot be selected from the driver in OS X and have to be selected via the printer panel.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:49:29 pm »

Using the standard Z3200 driver on MacOSX 10.5.6 I have found Photoshop CS4 colour management failings yet again.
MacOSX 10.5.6 and Photoshop CS1 is fine. Windows XP and Photoshop CS2 is fine.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=34518
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:56:44 pm by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

garyfcampbell

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:12:48 pm »

Hi,

I have Mac OSX 10.5.6, CS4, and a Z3200 and I don't have any issues between them.  Everything works fine, color management is fine, I have CS4 do the color managment from the profiles that the Z3200 generates.

Gary Campbell

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 06:53:11 pm »

Quote from: davewolfs
Haven't used it, but there is a technical doc on HP's Z3200 download site that states paper presets cannot be selected from the driver in OS X and have to be selected via the printer panel.
Are you speaking of printer vs. application managed color?  I'm running 10.5.6, and CS3 with a Z3100ps GP and have no conflicts or color management issues with this combination.  The only time I would give up control for color management to the printer is when I want absolute black and white printing.  If you are speaking about loading new paper presets to the printer, that also works with my combination, and can be done via the Printer Utility or Embedded Web Server.  

My only complaints with the system interaction is that occasionally the printer driver and printer sometimes don't communicate well when I need to recalibrate or have an issue that needs attention.  I address the problem and hit the refresh button in the driver and it does not acknowledge my actions.  I print anyway and have no problems, it's just a minor annoyance.  That's the print driver, not the Printer Utility that has a slight glitch.  The Printer Utility communicates with the printer correctly.  I also build my own APS profiles that I use with Photoshop for soft proofing and output.

I can't speak about the specific combination Gary is asking about, though the link to the LL forum post is a pretty small sampling to base anything off of.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 04:44:48 am »

I have multiple Apple Os X.5.6 printing to a Z3200 non PS without fault from CS3. I ran the trial CS4 without problem too.
APS works everything except saving profiles to the printer, but if I remember right Windows did not correctly save the profiles from APS, so that must be an X-Rite/APS glitch on the 3200.

Do not update your HP drivers from Apple Software Update. Use the HP site to download and install any drivers.

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:28 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
I have multiple Apple Os X.5.6 printing to a Z3200 non PS without fault from CS3. I ran the trial CS4 without problem too.
APS works everything except saving profiles to the printer, but if I remember right Windows did not correctly save the profiles from APS, so that must be an X-Rite/APS glitch on the 3200.

Do not update your HP drivers from Apple Software Update. Use the HP site to download and install any drivers.

Neil, Are your Custom Papers selectable within the print dialog's Media Types, or does it depend upon the application from which you print? In my hands, none of my Custom Papers or Additional Papers are selectable in the driver dialog when printing from Adobe applications (the papers are greyed-out). Printing from OSX native apps like Preview or Text Edit does, on the other hand, offer selection of Custom & Additional papers in the driver dialog. This is a well known issue, I believe, and my discussion with HP reveals that HP blames Adobe stating the Adobe changes the driver dialogs to suit their apps. I select "Any" as the paper type within the driver, and simply make sure I select the appropriate Custom or Additional paper in the hardware panel as a workaround.

Have you any thoughts?

John-
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:42:44 pm by John Caldwell »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 01:59:41 pm »

Quote from: John Caldwell
Neil, Are your Custom Papers selectable within the print dialog's Media Types, or does it depend upon the application from which you print? In my hands, none of my Custom Papers or Additional Papers are selectable in the driver dialog when printing from Adobe applications (the papers are greyed-out). Printing from OSX native apps like Preview or Text Edit does, on the other hand, offer selection of Custom & Additional papers in the driver dialog. This is a well known issue, I believe, and my discussion with HP reveals that HP blames Adobe stating the Adobe changes the driver dialogs to suit their apps. I select "Any" as the paper type within the driver, and simply make sure I select the appropriate Custom or Additional paper in the hardware panel as a workaround.

Have you any thoughts?

John-

This is exactly the reason HP put the any paper roll down in the driver. As different applications were set to pull up different settings, there is know way to know for sure if the print dialogue windows are handing off the right information. There is a lot of good thinking with Adobe and how it hands off the info to the driver intelligently , but with so many configs , the ANY category is still needed. I don't know why they might have modified the selectable options in the print dialogue boxes.
I have not and probably won't test applications though as my workflow is solid with CS3, LR, and Qimage on XP. When I was at the last Paris ICC meeting , in fact the Apple person was sitting beside me. He was well on top of issues with Apple apps and the ICC handling, in as much the driver options with Apple apps. Sounded like all was well, with some good work there.
In all Adobe apps I just set CM to the appropriate media profile and off it goes to the driver. I leave it on any paper and  haven't had any problems there. But you are right the custom papers are greyed out. I suppose it would be a problem if you didn't have the right paper loaded in the front panel.

John Caldwell

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
...the custom papers are greyed out. I suppose it would be a problem if you didn't have the right paper loaded in the front panel.

Yes, my understanding is that nothing is lost by the selection of Any as the media type in that hardware panel selections override any and all choices made in the driver regarding paper handling and CM.

Thanks, Neil.

John-

ValeryAyapov

• http://www.Ayapov.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:16:37 am »

Yes we stuck with color mismatch in our studio printing on Z3100 and Z3200 using OSX 10.5.8 and PS CS4.
We already forced to downgrade from 10.6 to avoid incompatibility with HP APS software 1.4 from X-Rite which is not upgraded yet.
Now collecting information on how to solve the issue with OSX 10.5.8/PS CS4/Z3100/Z3200.
Probably downgrading to OSX 10.4/PS CS3 will resolve everything to old good times when we have no problems at all.

Edit> If you are interested to get the most from your Z3100/Z3200 lets continue to share workflow ideas here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=40876
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:01:14 am by ValeryAyapov »
Pages: [1]   Go Up