Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colbies Cove, TN Smokey Mountains in mid-July  (Read 4858 times)

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
Colbies Cove, TN Smokey Mountains in mid-July
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »

I am going on a week trip to Tennessee where we will be staying a hop skip and a jump from the Smokey Mountains...

For those who have there, care to share some pics or information on what you did, what you saw and what you would do next time? Also, any information on what to bring, what to expect, activities around the area, and hiking conditions and all that good stuff.

Len's considerations and wildlife to expect as well!

dalethorn

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:13 pm »

It's going to be hot and humid.  It's a very green area, and tends to have a constant haze (not the same as the smoky stuff) in the air. If you can get higher up for some scenic views, particularly very soon after a rain shower, you could get some good shots that way. I always liked to go into the tourist towns like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. They're smaller and cleaner than most tourist towns.

bhowdy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:03:11 pm »

You will be coming to my backyard .... I live 10 minutes from the Townsend entrance to GSMNP.
As previously mentioned, it will be hot in July but there are so many shaded areas that you will not find it unbearable.

Let's see, where to start?

Your trip timing should be perfect for the Rhododendron bloom, usually mid July or so, some earlier, some later. These gorgeous white flowers will be everywhere.
In no particular order:
The vistas from Clingman's Dome (great sunrises)
Newfound Gap Road
The Sinks
Cades Cove (wildlife, song birds, woodpeckers (5 species) turkey, black bear, coyote, deer) primitive structures (homes, churches, grist mill, etc.) wildflowers
Tremont - Often missed spot (by tourists) Go to the end of the road and park. Grab your camera and hike up the Middle Prong trail (easy hike) You will have the Little River on your left with too many water falls and water features to photograph them all.

Hiking conditions and opportunities are numerous, from easy to strenuous. I would suggest stopping at the Visitor's Center at Sugarlands and asking for current recommendations. While at Sugarlands ask for directions to the Laurel Falls hike.

What to bring (camera gear)
Wide angle lens (for sunrises and vistas, also waterfalls)
70-200 for waterfalls and general use
Macro capable lens for flowers
Polarizer for the water photos ... it will help with all the "green" as well
GND's for sunrises (if you have them)
I use a 500mm for some wildlife, but since you are traveling a long lens may not be practical

Gatlinburg is nice, as mentioned a small tourist area ... Pigeon Forge is a true tourist area (Dollywood, outlet stores, miniature golf, go-carts, etc.)
I suggest "The Peddler" in Gatlinburg for a great meal

Excellent Photographer Reference
The Smoky Mountains Photographer's Guide
Amazon Link

Hope this has been some help .... Have a great trip!

chrisn

• http://www.NicholsonPrints.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:12:48 pm »

Michael,

Bhowdy sounds like your go-to resource, as he lives in the area. But I might be able to help out as well. After shooting in the Smokies a few times, I wrote up three reports based on my experiences and observations in the park. Perhaps they'll be of help as well:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Cades Cove
Cataloochee Valley

Personally, Cades Cove is my favorite place to shoot in the Smokies. But you really can't go wrong anywhere. It's a beautiful place to work.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck on your trip.

--
Chris Nicholson
NicholsonPrints.com, NicholsonSports.com
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:13:08 pm by chrisn »
Chris Nicholson
[url=http://www.Nicholso

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:03:47 pm »

I will second Chris' recommendation for Cades Cove. We have made many trips to the Smokies in the past 45 years. The last time I photographed it was in 1970 and the images are still etched in my mind. The cove is a remote ride of 25  or 30 miles west off of 441 between Cherokee and Gatlainburg. Be sure to go there! You will see why settlers moved to such a remote place.
Jack Varney

Denis K

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:23:08 pm »

Let me give you three that most folks don't usually point out that should be high on the list.

1) Greenbrier Cove - Very accessable from the auto and perhaps one of the most senic creeks in the park.

2) Cataloochee Valley - On the north side of the park and off the beaten path but has all of the natural beauty of Cades Cove without all the people.  If you drive to the very end of Cataloochee Valley around days end there is a spot that many locals go to attempt to spot Elk, which the park is trying to reintroduce into the area.  Even if you don't see a elk it is a social affair now that you can enjoy.

3) North of the Smokey's Park in the Cherokee National Park is "Max Patch", which is being maintained as a bald (think grass field on top of a mountain).  Max Patch and it's environ's is quite attractive and unlike the balds in the southern Smoky's Park, you can get close in your car while still allowing you to walk up the last half mile over the grassy bald.  The only problem is you will need a good map and the road is mostly gravel.  Most people go up to Max Patch by turning off of I-40 into the Harmon Den Area.  As I remember this is around milepoint 7 off of I-40 in North Carolina.

JohnR84740

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

bhowdy's got it!  For finding great locations on my first visit, I found Robert Hitchman's (Photograph America) guide and Bill Campbell's "the Smokey Mountains - Photographer's guide" to be very helpful.  

For Cade's Cove, remember that the road is closed to vehicle traffic on Weds & Sat mornings.  Great time to get out early on a bike!

I'm heading back in a couple weeks myself and hope to see some newborn Elk as well as Black Bears.

[attachment=14287:GSMNP__1..._cropped.jpg]

ebowles

• http://www.bowlesimages.zenfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:37:07 pm »

I visit the Smokes regularly - 14 days so far this year alone.  

Cades Cove is my favorite shooting area for the summer, but it can be crowded.  July is the busiest month of the year.  Traffic can be very bad - as much as 2 1/2 hours to make the 11 mile loop around Cades Cove.  Use the cross roads to get away from the crowds.  There are good sunrise and sunset location on the cross roads - Sparks Lane and Hyatt Lane.  

Better still are the days when there is fog in the valley.  Get there early in the morning and shoot from Sparks or Hyatt Lane, or one of the overlooks.  There are a handful of good opportunities for single tree images - just pick the background you like.

The other attraction in July and August will be black bears - often with cubs.  The bears are commonly seen in Cades Cove - and typically the cause of traffic jams.  If you see a big traffic jam, pull over to the side, get out and walk ahead to see the bear.  Some drivers are far less courteous and sit in the car blocking traffic while trying to take a bear picture with their cell phone or point and shoot.

Deer will be plentiful and should have antlers in velvet.  Try to frame the images for good backgrounds and context.  In late July and August the bears will be found in the wild cherry trees throughout Cades Cove.  You can get quite close but good images are tough.

There should be a lot of opportunities for wildflower images.  The best place is off Hyatt Lane.

For landscape images, consider using a longer lens like a 70-200 to isolate elements of the landscape like trees in fog, interesting colors, and cloud patterns.  

If you are interested in IR photography, Cades Cove is great because of the old buildings.

One more resource - a DVD - Tony Sweet - Visual Literacy Photography Workshop.  On the first DVD and the supplemental material, Tony takes you into Cades Cove on a Spring shoot and walks you thorugh the classic images.  He also covers several other areas of the Smokies.  Well worth it - Sweet conducts workshops in the SMokies every year and knows the park very well.
http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Sweets-Visual-L...tion/B001878RY0

Here is a link ot a few landscape images in my gallery.  
http://bowlesimages.zenfolio.com/p726397745
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:42:41 pm by ebowles »
Eric Bowles
Bowles Images [url=http://bo
Pages: [1]   Go Up