Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LF travel tripod recommendation  (Read 2499 times)

professorgb

LF travel tripod recommendation
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:09:31 am »

I have a buddy who shoots landscapes and portraits with a 4x5. He's looking to replace his (very flimsy) current travel tripod. I was thinking of recommending one of the Bogen CF 3-segment tripods and an Acratech ballhead. However, he thinks he'd prefer a pan head for LF and isn't sure about what pod to get.

Any recommendations?

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:01:21 pm »

Quote from: professorgb
I have a buddy who shoots landscapes and portraits with a 4x5. He's looking to replace his (very flimsy) current travel tripod. I was thinking of recommending one of the Bogen CF 3-segment tripods and an Acratech ballhead. However, he thinks he'd prefer a pan head for LF and isn't sure about what pod to get.

Any recommendations?

When traveling, I use a Gitzo 1227 (not sure of current nomenclature, it's series 2, 3 sections) and have found it adequate for my 5x7. I used the first Acratech ballhead for more than a year. With the large format camera, it slipped all the time, unless tightened with excessive torque. I don't recommend it.  See this survey of tripod heads from the point of view of the large format photographer
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

MarkL

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:46:25 am »

Quote from: luong
When traveling, I use a Gitzo 1227 (not sure of current nomenclature, it's series 2, 3 sections) and have found it adequate for my 5x7. I used the first Acratech ballhead for more than a year. With the large format camera, it slipped all the time, unless tightened with excessive torque. I don't recommend it.  See this survey of tripod heads from the point of view of the large format photographer

I've used the gitzo 1228 (same as 1227 but extra sections) with Acratech (v2) ballhead with my ebony. Legs wise, this setup coped but I would not want to use it in any wind or extend the bottom leg sections. The Acratech head is totally solid and was even with my rb67 which is much heavier than my ebony. The designer even states that he wanted a head to deal with cameras including 4x5 - perhaps you got a bad copy? I have never had to tighten it very hard.

I have no issue with ballheads for LF, pan and tilt heads are far to heavy to travel with.

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:28:36 am »

to travel I have a Benro Travel Angel

stever

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:13:50 pm »

i use a feisol ct-3441-s which is pretty sturdy, but i'm not sure it's 4x5 sturdy (depending upon weight and extension of the 4x5).

professorgb

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:56:14 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  He went with the Bogen 190CXV3.  It's relatively light and short when folded up, carbon fiber, and affordable.  He went with a Bogen panning head, although I was suggesting a decent ball head like RRS or something similar.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:56:33 pm by professorgb »
Pages: [1]   Go Up