Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web targeted color space  (Read 12752 times)

Snook

Web targeted color space
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 10:52:38 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
The bottom line is you can't, and it is pointless and stupid to even bother to try. sRGB is the closest thing out there to a rough average of the colors a given uncalibrated/unprofiled monitor might display; that is what it was designed to do. Educating the client(s) about the futility of trying to critically judge colors on uncalibrated/unprofiled monitors is a far better investment in one's time than trying to come up with some BS kludge that is only going to work properly on one particular monitor and make things worse everywhere else.

Export your web images to sRGB, and when people complain about the color, educate them about the importance of properly calibrating and profiling their monitors and controlling ambient lighting around the monitor. It's all you can do.

And tell them with all the money THEY have saved by US shooting Digital to go buy a decent monitor for Christ sake!!!!

Snook

csp

Web targeted color space
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 12:00:42 pm »

Quote from: Snook
And tell them with all the money THEY have saved by US shooting Digital to go buy a decent monitor for Christ sake!!!!

Snook

this would only solves one part of a problem.  for the average user color management is still to difficult and to expensive,  even for some photographers ;-) .  we need a one button setup solution
and all works together  the os, the  software and all connected hardware... i know i'm dreaming.... considering that color management is around since this late 80`we did not come that far.

Dansk

Web targeted color space
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 10:46:24 am »

Insightful comments gents thanks. I really took to heart the Pet Shop boys cheap radio sound check comment so i bought a cheap Dell PC craptop with a bogus display that I will also be proofing on. I have no idea what the settings or profiles are other than the fact that it is bone stock as sold so i figured its probably close to what the clients are looking at. I'm certainly not going to waiver from my typical process and will be providing a batch of web ONLY files as well as backing up the final print ready ones and some of my clients still spec contact sheets and even these guys dont they are getting them this time too haha. Simple trick that should calm any further comments on this particular gig but it still doesn't really solve the destination viewing issue so I'll do my best with said radio analogy proofing what else can I do? Cant control the market place hardware so tied hands there. Speaking of hardware...

Makes me start to wonder... With the ever growing online market and the beginnings of this as a "new standard" launch point its high time for the hardware manufacturers to start to consider standardized formatting/settings/canned profiles/etc. that set a solid target for us allowing consistency and top quality. Otherwise they are missing out and so are their customers.

Seems by the replies considering the educated sounding board here that we are all somewhat flying blind making best guess choices for now. Kind of reminds me of the mid 90's when digital photography was getting off the ground somewhat save for the fact that the info available was sparse  and mainly from vendors or manufacturers. We worked through that so we'll work through this.

With a few more uuffffs along the way though  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up