Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon drivers and plug ins  (Read 1109 times)

Clearair

Canon drivers and plug ins
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:35:41 am »

I own a canon Pro9500 mk1 and a very recent iPF6100.

I could never understand the logic of the Pro9500 locking a border when using art media.
Slap one.

Imagine my surprise when I found that the PS plugin for the iPF6100 does not include the option of printing out colour and contrast pattern prints for those days when all else fails.
Slap two.

Why is the native input resolution of a usable 300 ppi not available when the art heavy weight papers are selected?
Try up sizing everything to 600 ppi!!
slap three.

Yes I know the printer can handle this but I always thought that the maximum quality comes from sending the file sized to the native input of said printer?

I did send a file to the iPF600 at screen resolution of 72 ppi (yes it's a Mac) and the print was surprisingly good.

I have passed all these issues on to Canon through my retailers and the reasons given were strange.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:50:58 am »

Quote from: Clearair
Imagine my surprise when I found that the PS plugin for the iPF6100 does not include the option of printing out colour and contrast pattern prints for those days when all else fails.

I am not clear why you would want this.  Haven't ever needed it for my iPF5000.

Why is the native input resolution of a usable 300 ppi not available when the art heavy weight papers are selected?
Try up sizing everything to 600 ppi!!

Since plugin can resize, this is a non-issue for me, especially now that the plugin supports bicubic interpolation.

There are a few things to complain about on the iPF printers (locked media types, expensive printheads with limited warranty, lack of 32 pass printing for the Special Media types), but the items on your list don't make the cut in my book.

--John

Clearair

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:56:42 pm »

Quote from: John Hollenberg
I am not clear why you would want this.  Haven't ever needed it for my iPF5000.

Since plugin can resize, this is a non-issue for me, especially now that the plugin supports bicubic interpolation.

There are a few things to complain about on the iPF printers (locked media types, expensive printheads with limited warranty, lack of 32 pass printing for the Special Media types), but the items on your list don't make the cut in my book.

--John

The printer is fantastic.
I'm talking about the software it comes with. This is an easy place to improve all sorts of things for your customers.
The pattern print option can be useful as an easy guide to how the print will look with different colour settings. Why have the option to change them at all in the plugin??
I agree with you on the re sizing, the plugin seems to do do a good job, but are you saying we need 600 ppi for all our prints?I know I don't.
When a Canon rep first showed a canvas printed for me on a iPF5000 he made a point of indicating a lower quality setting to save ink. As canvas does not need ultimate resolution.
just an example.

Pages: [1]   Go Up