Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall Colors  (Read 1876 times)

Jeremy Payne

Fall Colors
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:19:10 am »

My new wide gamut monitor has me reviewing lots of stuff from the last year ... here's a colorful shot - the colors are great .... how's the composition?

John R

Fall Colors
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:43:24 am »

It looks great to me. Many shots like this don't quite make it, but yours is very good. Could be you filled in the areas where the sky would be. Everything is balanced nicely, the colours, the branches and the distribution of open sky areas.

JMR

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Fall Colors
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:37 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
My new wide gamut monitor has me reviewing lots of stuff from the last year ... here's a colorful shot - the colors are great .... how's the composition?

Hi Jeremy,

Congratulations with your new "vision"  The image is very nice and I like the composition. It's almost like an abstract color painting.

I assume you have calibrated your monitor and only use color managed applications for your image editing and browsing.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Fall Colors
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:51 am »

The composition works for me too.  Beautiful mix of color and dark branches.  Nicely done.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Fall Colors
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:37:12 pm »

Fabulous shot. Have you printed it?

Jeremy Payne

Fall Colors
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 04:42:28 pm »

Thanks, all!  There were two other shots from this hike that seemed to grab me at the time and this one went unloved for months.  I was looking for colorful images to test my calibration across two very different monitors and two different printers ... and this one caught my eye.  I rarely use the "Landscape" color profile in LR, but for once it really worked well.

@Justan - Yes ... I did print a few different takes at 8.5 x 11 last night on my HP 6-color printer - they look terrific.  I think I overdid the "burnt edges" after seeing the prints.  I have an Epson 2200 coming soon and will probably do a 13 x 19 when that gets here.  

@Hans - I have calibrated the new monitor ... like 20 times and am still having a bit of trouble.  I have a Spyder 3 Pro and the Colorvision software.  My laptop has a nice monitor for a laptop, but it still only has about 42% coverage of adobeRGB.  That said, it seems more accurate after simple profiling in its default/native state than anything I have yet achieved with the new LED, wide gamut monitor.

I'm using the wide gamut display over the analog input ... I don't have a way to use the real DVI and write to the internal LUT - yet.  Hopefully soon, but for now I am stuck tweaking the OSD to get close to target prior to profiling.  The profile seems decent, but the profile on my laptop actually seems better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up