Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: INKJET PRINTING AND HUMIDITY  (Read 15495 times)

Gemmtech

INKJET PRINTING AND HUMIDITY
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 10:28:57 am »

Quote from: MHMG
The freezing point of water is zero degrees centigrade. A subzero temperature is below zero. I don't think that's inconsistent with my statements, but obviously you prefer your measurements stated in fahrenheit. In the ten years I was at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC, I listened as experts on building construction and contractor after contractor debated how easy it is to maintain moderate relative humidity indoors during cold wintertime conditions. I even listened as experts who wanted lucrative museum consulting contracts claimed they could flatline a building to 21C (oops, 70 degrees F) and 50%RH plus or minus 2% and yet still keep energy costs the same as when the building is allowed to seasonally cycle in temperature and humidity with temperature setbacks on nights and weekends. That logic defies the laws of thermodynamics, but there were experts out there that fiercely defended this position.  Let's just say that I did come to realize that many experts do share your opinion.  However, many don't, so let's agree to disagree. I will meet you in Antarctica sometime for a frozen cup of coffee.

Actually I prefer the metric system for everything, but "When in Rome......"       Subzero F is colder than SZ C correct? I was referring to SZ using the F scale and maintaining 35% RH at 0 F is not a problem either.  No expert would disagree with me, it's rather simplistic and there are many ways you can tell if the RH is OK in your home, one of the best barometers is your own body; is your throat dry?  Are your nasal passages dry and does it feel like razor blades entering your nose as you breathe?  Are your hands dried out and look like they are 80 years old even though you are 30?  These are all signs that your humidity might not be at it's optimum level, too low.  If you are covered in sweat and you have been sitting on your ass all day it probably means there's a lot of moisture in the air, RH too high. Your house will also show many signs, both if the RH is too low or too high.  As I stated above, it's bad in both extremes, don't just worry about too high humidity, too low is equally bad.  Commercial buildings are different and what's inside them makes a difference, so for this discussion how the Smithsonian is designed is irrelevant for the typical American home or even office building.  The best analogy I could give you is footers, the footers being installed at the WTC have nothing in common with a footer for a home and here's something most people don't know, a footer is NOT necessary for a house.  Put a house over an old coal mine and we will be discussing grouting, pillars and reinforced box footers.  I will agree that different techniques are used from climate to climate.  You wouldn't normally install a full basement in a home built in Houston Texas, but installing a full basement in PA is normal.  Most people don't use Geo-Thermal for heating and cooling, but it's a wonderful product in the north.  I haven't seen many heated driveways in Florida, but I do a lot of them here in PA.  The bottom line is that your body and your house will generally tell you if your RH is ok and you can generally solve the problems before having too high or too low RH starts harming your home.  Our printers are only one item in the house we need to worry about, if you have some expensive wood furniture you will be worried if the RH is too low and if you have beautiful custom finished solid 6" wide teak flooring, well you get the picture, too low RH and it shrinks, the filler and clear coat will all crack making a mess, make the RH too high and the boards might start to cup, they'll expand and press against each other, however if the RH is too high to begin with and you get it set to its' optimum setting the floors will generally lose the cupping, go the other way and your cracks will still be there.

Humidity 101 lesson over  

A cup of coffee sounds good  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:29:52 am by Gemmtech »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up