Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 : Off Centered Printable Area  (Read 7905 times)

Guigui

• http://
Epson 7900 : Off Centered Printable Area
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »

Hello,

I know this topic has been discussed about the HP Z3100 a few days ago, but my question is specific about the Epson Printer Driver that comes along with the 7900 model.

The fact is, I never seem to be able to get a centered image, whatever which paper type/size I use. Why am I unable to get a really centered print on a standard Super A3 cutsheet (for example), even when I specifically told the printer to center the printable area ?

In the "print preview" window, when I toggle "printable area" on, a dotted frame appears which is never really centered, and it's even worse in landscape mode. For some reason, there always seems to be a few extra millimeters on the right side of the sheet. The print is therefore always a few millimeters off.

I noticed that when I don't check the "Center Image" option in the Photoshop dialog box and manually change the position I finally end up with something that looks right. Is it really the only way to do this ?

Thanks,
Guillaume.

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:57:41 pm »

Quote from: Guigui
Hello,

I know this topic has been discussed about the HP Z3100 a few days ago, but my question is specific about the Epson Printer Driver that comes along with the 7900 model.

The fact is, I never seem to be able to get a centered image, whatever which paper type/size I use. Why am I unable to get a really centered print on a standard Super A3 cutsheet (for example), even when I specifically told the printer to center the printable area ?

In the "print preview" window, when I toggle "printable area" on, a dotted frame appears which is never really centered, and it's even worse in landscape mode. For some reason, there always seems to be a few extra millimeters on the right side of the sheet. The print is therefore always a few millimeters off.

I noticed that when I don't check the "Center Image" option in the Photoshop dialog box and manually change the position I finally end up with something that looks right. Is it really the only way to do this ?

Thanks,
Guillaume.
In the print driver settings dialog, there's Printable area button, where you can select to center printable area (for sheets). Note that I don't use Photoshop to print, so it might be different there (I use Qimage)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:58:58 pm by Mulis Pictus »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:18:01 pm »

Are you on Mac or Windows?
Eric Chan

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:44:48 pm »

My guess is Mac, as I've heard this can be an issue on Macs. Can you make the image "borderless" with your white space as part of the image? a PITA but it may be a workaround.
Randy Carone

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:38:11 pm »

I am on Windoes and notice my sheet prints are also off by a few mm despite the fact that I check center in the printable area of the driver.  Not terrible, and much better than my 7600 (was using ImagePrint for that) but still a few mm off.

Howard

Guigui

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:01:48 pm »

In the print driver settings dialog, there's Printable area button, where you can select to center printable area (for sheets). Note that I don't use Photoshop to print, so it might be different there (I use Qimage)

Yes I do select to center the printable area. But still, the printable area isn't exactly centered. It's only a few millimeters but it sometimes really shows, especially on small prints. I think I should consider using Qimage or other similar programs. I'm going to look for more information about RIPs.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Windows Xp.

I am on Windoes and notice my sheet prints are also off by a few mm despite the fact that I check center in the printable area of the driver. Not terrible, and much better than my 7600 (was using ImagePrint for that) but still a few mm off.

I see I'm not the only one facing this problem. I think I'm going to ask Epson about it next time I get someone from tech support on the phone.

Thanks for answering.
G.

Randy Carone

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:17:42 pm »

Have you ever measured the sheet to make certain that it is exactly the dimensions stated on the label?
Randy Carone

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
Have you ever measured the sheet to make certain that it is exactly the dimensions stated on the label?

Just measured a sheet of Harmon Gloss FB AL and it seems exactly 8.5 x 11 inches.  The centering of the image seems essentially perfect along the long side but is off by 1.5-2mm along the short sides.  Not really a huge deal, but able to be discerned visually without a ruler.

Howard

Guigui

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 06:50:46 am »

Quote from: HowardG
Just measured a sheet of Harmon Gloss FB AL and it seems exactly 8.5 x 11 inches.  The centering of the image seems essentially perfect along the long side but is off by 1.5-2mm along the short sides.  Not really a huge deal, but able to be discerned visually without a ruler.

Howard

I confirm that my sheets are also the exact size as stated on the package.
Like Howard said, the difference is subtle but noticeable, and it's a lot worse when printing in landscape mode.

Here's a screenshot of the print preview dialog :

Details :
Sheet Size : A2 (59,4 x 42 cm)
Image Size : 44x5 x 31x5 cm (no auto resize)
Settings in Photoshop : Center Image.
Settings in Printer driver : Printable Area Centered.

I've been very confused about this. When I want to print something in landscape, I simply rotate the canvas by 90° and print in protrait mode to get something that looks centered.

It looks like Photoshop and the Printer Driver disagree with what the center of the sheet is.
Are there any other Epson 7900 users out there that have noticed the same problem ?

pcmurray

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:12 am »

....It looks like Photoshop and the Printer Driver disagree with what the center of the sheet is.
Are there any other Epson 7900 users out there that have noticed the same problem ?
[/quote]

I have the same problem using my Epson 7900 and Photoshop CS4 (both with all updates included). Have even set up custom page settings and lined up the paper very carefully to make sure it isn't user error. Still, there is a difference in left/right border widths when I set parameters to center image in Photoshop. Would love to have this problem corrected either by Epson or Photoshop.

By the way, I get better results when printing from Lightroom.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 04:58:05 pm »

I just tested this yesterday, and my 7900 prints about 3/16" off centered horizontally when using sheet paper and any custom paper size ... this is from CS4 and OS X 10.5.6.

I never noticed it before since most prints are printed 22"x17" with at least a 1.5" white border on each side.  Visually it isn't apparent,  but noticed it yesterday when trying to get even borders on 8.5x11 paper so I measured some of the larger prints.

Will test this on the 11880 to see if it is printer specific to the 7900.

pknouf

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I just tested this yesterday, and my 7900 prints about 3/16" off centered horizontally when using sheet paper and any custom paper size ... this is from CS4 and OS X 10.5.6.

I never noticed it before since most prints are printed 22"x17" with at least a 1.5" white border on each side.  Visually it isn't apparent,  but noticed it yesterday when trying to get even borders on 8.5x11 paper so I measured some of the larger prints.

Will test this on the 11880 to see if it is printer specific to the 7900.

Wayne,

I have the same centering problem with my 7900.  How did your test come out on the 11880?  I've yet to contact my OEM but will after the holiday.  It is indeed frustrating to have this.  I am attempting to standardize on my print, mount board and matt sizes to take a lot of the busy work out of my processes.

Phil

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 05:41:29 pm »

Quote from: pknouf
Wayne,

I have the same centering problem with my 7900.  How did your test come out on the 11880?  I've yet to contact my OEM but will after the holiday.  It is indeed frustrating to have this.  I am attempting to standardize on my print, mount board and matt sizes to take a lot of the busy work out of my processes.

Phil

My clogging problems became worse again, so Epson sent the tech to basically rebuild the printer.  I asked him about the off centered prints.  He asked how I made the prints, which is by using a custom paper size with 0.0 borders, which he called and confirmed should yield centered prints.  He made some adjustment in the service menu that has it a little closer, and said from what he can see it is adjustable down to 1/10th of a mm.  It appears this may be related to a factory setting and is adjustable.  The printer is very consistent in it's behavior, doesn't matter if I'm printing 19" x 15" on a 22"x17" page, or 7"x9" on an 8.5x11 inch page, the amount off centered is exactly the same.  Right side border is always smaller.   On a larger print with 1.5" borders it isn't as obvious visually.

I just tested my 3800, and it's off by 1/8 of an inch.  Still haven't fired up the 11880 to check it yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up