Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympic National Park and North Cascades National  (Read 7088 times)

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
Olympic National Park and North Cascades National
« on: January 21, 2005, 01:49:29 am »

> and as I want to shoot a lot, I will only do 1 day trails.

The problem with this in the Olympics (and I suspect to some degree in the N Cascades also) is that most of the trail heads are in low river valleys and a day's hike is unlikely to you get out of the rain forest. For instance, the Hoh River Trail is spectacular but the first 13 miles are all similar then you start climbing and get a change of scenery and more vistas. Hurricane Ridge is obviously an exception but it is already very much photographed.

Don't get me wrong, the river valleys and rainforest are great for photography but some of the grandest mountain scenes will only be reached with overnight hiking. I spent six weeks in the Olympics way back in '67 and finally got around to scanning a few slides and negs.Half dozen in this gallery are from the Olympics and I'll add more as I get time.

If you're into backpacking at all I'd suggest planning at least one over-nighter or multi-day trip. There are frequent shelters so you can get by without a tent if need be, but I don't know how crowded things are in early September.

- DL

sieracki

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:56:57 pm »

Great choice for a nice shoot. I've been to North Cascades three times over the last couple of years. There's a great deal to shoot and the crowds are never too bad. The best place is at Washington Pass. It's quite a ways into the park on Hwy 20. I recommend stopping at the Washington Pass overlook in a picnic area just before getting to the pass. After a small hike there is a nice overlook.

I'd also recommend the Mt Baker Hwy just north of the North Cascades NP. I wouldn't recommend going into BC, really. Southern BC has a great deal of fire damage and some really bad damage to forests. I went to Manning Prov. Park in BC in 2003 and it was quite damaged by fire. Trees were black in many places. Washington is OK.

I wouldn't go too far east past Winthrop on Hwy 20 either. When you arrive at Winthrop you'll notice that you are in a desert. If you go on there are some pretty desolate looking areas, especially near Omak and north on 97 up to BC.

You can do a pretty nice loop using hwy 20. East it goes to the N Cascades and west it hits Anacortes and the ferry terminal to the San Juan Islands. Worth a stop there. Then you can go to Sydney BC and take the ferrry from Victoria to Port Angeles and you can hit the Olympic NP starting there. The 'heart of the hills' road is pretty nice and it ends at Hurricane Ridge. Taking photos of this area at dawn or sunset is a treat!

I'm planning a trip there myself again this year. I hope to work in Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens and Mt Adams in there too...

howard smith

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 06:59:41 pm »

Wild life does not need to be a "head shot" portrait.  You should be able to do some good images with an 85mm or less.  I find I use what I take (easy choice) and try not to worry about what I need or left at home.  Even when I forget something I think I need, I try to work around it rather than fret.  If all you have is an 85mm, but need a 300mm, use this as a learning experience to get a great image with an 85mm.  If you really want to, note the experience and return with a 300mm.

nicroll

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 12:28:18 pm »

In September 2005, I will spend 3 weeks in the area of Seattle. I plan to shoot the first week in the Olympic National Park, 2nd week in the North Cascades National Park and the 3rd week will be in seatlle. I plan to camp inside each park, and as I want to shoot a lot, I will only do 1 day trails.

I have books for each park, but if somebody can give me advise for shooting in these 3 area, I will appreciate.

This will be my first photographic travel, I want to maximise my chance of getting nice pictures  :: and to be able to do something with these pictures (I mean selling them if possible   ??? )

thanks in advice.
Nicolas
Nicolas Rolland
Eos 20D, Eos 3, Eos 5

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 03:24:58 pm »

I am sure you will get much help from others, but here is a few things from me.

I usually stay in Port Angelos   at the Best Western (several others available)

Areas that were my favorites (but at end of June)
Sol Duc Falls (and a mossy stream down trail from Sol Duc)
Olympic Mtns, including Hurricane Ridge (welcome center area) early morning sunrise and Hurricane Hill.
Quinalt forest  (really nice and lost of ferns).
Ho Rain Forest
Rialto Beach  (sunset)

www.inspirationalnature.com   some images of the above
go to  Northwestern gallery
Have a good trip.  very special place

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:16:59 am »

I've been to Olympic, and have two comments to make.  First, be prepared for rain; you might be lucky and have nice weather, but it does rain a great deal there (hence the rain forests  :)   ), so be prepared to go out in it, and be in a mind set where you are able to look for good photos in rainy or misty conditions rather than impatiently waiting for clear weather which may never materialize.  Second, be prepared to do a lot of driving if you want to see more than one part of Olympic; you have to drive a loooong way around the park to get from one region to another.  The Hoh rain forest is wonderful, the beaches with driftwood and sea stacks are wonderful in a different way, and the mountains (Hurricane Ridge etc.) are wonderful in yet a different way, but they are very far apart from each other by road.  So, check maps and driving times before you plan what you're going to do.

That said, it's a beautiful park.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

DonH

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 02:20:44 pm »

I've been to the beaches many times and my 2 favorite beaches in Olympic NP are Ruby (very short trail from the road) and 2nd Beach (Note: not Beach 2). Second Beach requires only about a 2/3 mile hike on an easy trail. Photo Ops are maximized if you can time your visit for a low tide around sunset.

For camping, there is a campground at Rialto Beach which is near Forks and also near Second Beach.

nicroll

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:34:14 pm »

thank you for your tips... I'm sure it will be usefull for me... Now it's time for me to find the cheapest plane tickets and to decide what gear to bring in my bag... 6 months to decide...
Nicolas Rolland
Eos 20D, Eos 3, Eos 5

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 03:28:18 pm »

thank you for your tips... I'm sure it will be usefull for me... Now it's time for me to find the cheapest plane tickets and to decide what gear to bring in my bag... 6 months to decide...
Might I suggest:

Eos 20D
70-200 mm f2.8L IS
300 mm f4L IS
17-40 mm f4L
Close-up lenses 500D
Gitzo G1340
Lowepro Nature AWII
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 06:42:18 pm »

> Could I reasonably get by without one?

Yes, unless you're shooting wildlife you'll find the WA much more useful.

- DL

manrico Scremin

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 12:17:33 am »

I would highly recommend Hart's Pass in the North Cascades Park.  You can drive on easy gravel road to over 6,000 ft. as I recall and camp right in the pass.  There are several day hikes possible, all above tree line with great views.

This is a very good option if the weather is bad on the coast.  Hart's Pass is on the dry side of the mountains and that makes a big difference.  In September you will be getting fall colours in the meadows; very nice.

Hank

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 12:57:01 pm »

In addition to any feedback you get here, you might also go here and read some of the threads, and perhaps even post your questions, too.  There are a lot of goodphotographers in that area, and many of them congregate at that site:

http://forums.naturephotographers.net/6....6073092

Image Northwest

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 12:22:50 pm »

If your looking for a one-day hike that gets up into the alpine area, I would recommend the Putvin Trail along the headwaters of the Hamma Hamma.  It's only about 3.5 miles in, but it's steep, very steep, and you should be in good condition to do this one.  The trail goes up to Lake of the Angels, which is one of the prettiest lakes in the Olympics, and late September, when the huckleberries turn red, it's a magnificant scene.  I've taken several groups of people of there in the last few years, and after they stop remarking about the severity of the climb, and get to the final terrace, they are happy campers indeed.      

You should be able to locate this trail in any of the hiking books about the Olympics.

Bruce

DaveLon

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 05:51:15 pm »

I too am managing a visit to Olympic National Park in June but since my primary reason for being in the area is not photographic, I need to limit what equipment I take.

Travel weight is very much an issue so the less extra photographic weight I have to carry the better.

?? D20 (or Rebel) and 17-85mm IS lens? Would this give me a reasonably good chance? I notice several people memtion telephotos? Could I reasonably get by without one? I could also use a Dinage A2 but I worry about needing higher ISO.

Thanks
Dave S
Pages: [1]   Go Up