Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge - Using the preview window....  (Read 1426 times)

Dinarius

Bridge - Using the preview window....
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:07:41 am »

PC/Vista x64/8Gb RAM/CS4.

I occasionally use Adobe Camera Raw to make final changes to already processed medium format digital files.

The files are about 220Mb in size.

When I point Bridge to a folder of files it takes a while to cache them. That's OK. But, when I then begin to make changes to the files, I occasionally run out of memory. The usually happens when I am saving the edited files out of Camera Raw.

Any tips for handling folders of images in Bridge/ACR, other than sub-dividing the folders into smaller groups of images?

How do other handle Bridge cache, for example?

Basically, I'm just looking for tips on good Bridge/ACR house-keeping!

Thanks.

D.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:12:45 am by Dinarius »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:36 pm »

I place Br + ACR [+ LR] Cache on HDs with a lot of free space and certainly not on the C drive/Mac HD.  Any drives that are getting a bit full will also slow your system down.

What do you mean exactly when you say  that you are using ACR to process already developed files? ACR or any other RAW processor is best used on the RAW file not say  a rendered TIFF, if that's what you mean.

File folders by what makes sense from a filing point of view, not just to speed up caching of individual folders, as that will be much slower in long term.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:13:41 am »

Quote from: jjj
I place Br + ACR [+ LR] Cache on HDs with a lot of free space and certainly not on the C drive/Mac HD.  Any drives that are getting a bit full will also slow your system down.

Just done that. I had requested a separate 50Gb partition when I bought the computer and I have now pointed both Bridge and ACR at it. The difference is incredible! Thanks.

What do you mean exactly when you say  that you are using ACR to process already developed files? ACR or any other RAW processor is best used on the RAW file not say  a rendered TIFF, if that's what you mean.

Usually I use ACR for cleaning Hasselblad files, when necessary. Flexcolor doesn't have a cleaning tool.

One last question..................

After resetting the cache locations I rebooted and opened task manager. Total Physical Memory was listed as 8Gb (correct) and underneath this Cached was listed as 627Mb. But, it gradually rose to 7Gb in a few minutes. Why is this? What was it caching? There were no folders or applications open. The Memory usage says that only 1.2gb is being used and CPU usage is at 0%

Does this mean I now only have 1Gb left to play with?

I do have some external HDs connected and running all the time. I use them for copying raw and edited files. Could this be what's being cached?

Thanks.

D.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:14:58 am by Dinarius »
Pages: [1]   Go Up