Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eee PC 1000HE  (Read 5284 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Eee PC 1000HE
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:21:22 am »

I commute to work (2500 mile commute) and spend a lot of time on planes. When at my place of work I need the ability to backup my files, transfer those files to an external HD and sort my photos as well as having something to keep me amused on the plane trips of approx 7 hours. I don't edit due to the lack of a decent calibrated screen, etc. Until now I've been using my powerful Toshiba laptop which although plenty powerful enough to do the editing as well, weighs 3 kilo and has heavy batteries that only last 1.5 hours each. I brought my neighbour a Toshiba netbook over from the UK a few months  back and was extremely impressed with it to be honest. Doing my research now I see that the netbook with the best battery life is the Eee PC 1000HE, the built in webcam and mike are very welcome additions (saves me schlepping a webcam along so I can talk to my wife) as is the cheap ability to up the RAM to 2GB. The price is also pretty good at present in the UK with a very reliable dealer (ebuyer) selling for £305 inc postage. I have experience with them and if there are problems they deal with the returns and the manufacturer.

Couple of questions to anyone who has one. Firstly, Lightroom 2.3. I know you need a 1048x768 screen to LR but the netbook has a 1048x768 screen emulator. Is the 1000HE powerful enough to run previews of 5D RAW files for culling? Would I be able to use it for applying crops? Would I be able to load up photoshop just to use Bridge for doing the sorting and culling (my preferred method)?

Does it ship with a whole lot of bloatware and is it easy to get rid of?

How easy is it to get hold of spare batteries? I see ebay equivelents but they are generic eee pc 1000 series compatible and not the extra long life battery of the 1000HE. Other than that I can't seem to find spares anywhere.

Any thumbs up or down in general?

Many thanks.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:10:41 pm »

I've looked into the so-called Netbooks as well. They truly are a great solution for those who travel a lot. Sadly, from the reviews I've read though, they just don't have the power for serious digital imaging. It would probably work fairly well with something sleek like BreezeBrowser, but Bridge and Lightroom would make the netbook stumble. There are times those programs make my quad-core PC almost grind to a halt, so I think it's safe to say that they would trash the Eee PC and the like.

Here are a few links to reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-p...7-33522069.html
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/asus-ee...review-roundup/

JPrimgaard

Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:34:09 pm »

Ben,

Are you still looking for input?  I have the 1000HE and use it for just what you are asking about.  

Jake

Ben Rubinstein

Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:43:04 am »

I actually did just buy it though I'm not back in the UK for another two weeks. Any specific tips for running LR or PS much appreciated!

Dennishh

Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:59:50 am »

I've been using a new Asus 1000HE with 2gigs of ram all week in France for storing raw images and transfer to an external for backup. Originally I was going to use a dedicated hard drive card reader but thought the costs were way out of line for what you get. The net book is so much more useful with its internet capabilities for doing e-mail, music, books and skype. AT&T wanted a huge amount to call back to the US, with skype it's free and works very well. I had no hope of using lightroom 2.3 but was very surprised to find out I could catalog, edit and do some modifications to files. I have about 2000 images all ready to transfer to my studio workstation with all crops, catalogs and ratings done. Not only does it work with lightroom but I've used it for shooting tethered to my 5DMk2 with live view. Canon EOS capture works great as does DSLR remote Pro. It fits in the outside pocket of my backpack and works for free in most hotels and restaurants in Paris without a hitch. Battery life is over 6 hours.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:31:46 pm »

Although I haven't got the exact same Asus eee, I use a similarly spec'd netbook the Advent 4211 (aka MSI Wind).
Once the memory has been upgraded to 2gb it will pretty much run anything, if not always lightening fast. The only thumb twiddling wait is for the desktop and some bigger programs to load, once they're in memory it all runs pretty smoothly. It's worth remembering that Intel Quad cores drop down to similar clock speed to save energy when not being fully utilised, so performance seems better than many expect. A faster HDD might help load times, but it's no real worry to me at the moment.
InDesign, PS CS4 & LR2.3 and all the utilities I use have all installed OK and are quite usable. The installations might mention the lack of preferred screen resolution, but installation still happens and they run fine, the smaller (1024x600) screen is workable for most programs. I wouldn't rely on the screen for really accurate colour work, but that's not why I bought it.
For importing, checking, embedding GPS data and keywording away from home it's just great. I've been pleasantly surprised at just how competent it is at dealing with the large RAW files from my 1DsII.
For £250 it's an absolute bargain, but battery life is not as good as the Asus and some other more recent netbooks. If I(you?) want greater battery life there are plenty of non-OEM alternatives available. There's probably a web forum somewhere dedicated to your machine that will advice on exactly which particular brands/vendors are the most reliable.

HTH

Paul

Ben Rubinstein

Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 07:33:22 am »

I did of course buy the 2GB RAM and also a 320GB 7200rpm HD which is faster than the included 160GB 5400rpm (£5 enclosure and that's now a neat little external drive!).  I bought an even higher spec'd after market battery which should be great given that the stock battery has a 7-8 hour life with real world use.

jljonathan

Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:57 pm »

Pom
It sounds like you bought the window xp version. I use an imac with leopard at home and was thinking of an asus eee pc 1000he to use for travel, downloading from cards with ImageIngester and rating etc with either Canon utility or something else. Once home, would it be easy to download from the HD to my mac, would I use usb? Any other thoughts on using the 1000he in my case? Also, what HD did you buy to replace the 160?
Thanks
Jonathan
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:57:12 pm by jljonathan »

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:18 am »

I took one to Italy to store images.  I also put 2Gb of ram in it and I found it to be fairly functional.  Like a previous poster said, you can use it for tethered work, I have done it with a D90.  The shortcoming is the screen resolution of 1024X600 as camera raw and lightroom like at least 1024X768; there is a workaround but a bit cludgy.  I also have not bothered to calibrate the monitor on it; I wouldn't trust it for critical use the way it is, but when you compare it to other image storage devices, you get a lot more for your money than other data storage.  Coupled with an external hard drive, you are good to go. It is a good deal for $450 CAD.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 04:29:08 am »

Yesterday we bought a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Mobile U9200 for 450 Euro on Ebay as a sellout. It includes also a DVD writer, weight is around 1,9 kg:
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49293456,00.htm

mmurph

• http://
Eee PC 1000HE
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 12:09:25 am »

I have an Acer netbook.

Rather than struggle with RAW and processing, I am going back to a workflow I used 5+ years ago.

I always shoot RAW + JPEG on my Canon.  I usually use the JPEG for quick web postings, etc.

Now I am going to go back to using Breezebrowser for reviewing and ranking images. I select all images and use a Breezebrowser slide show at about 4-5 seconds per image to review all of the images. Slideshow presents the imkge in full screen mode witha bl;ack background and no menu controls, etc. (use forward and back, + to flag, etc.) I flag all of images I wanted to see again, maybe about 1/2 or so.

On the next pass through slideshow, I select only the flagged images from step #1. Then I rank the images from 1 to 5.  

After all of the images have been ranked, I select only the Rank 1 images. Then I go back and carefully review all of the Rank 1 images in slideshow again. I might bump a few down to 2, etc.

Then I go through and review all of the rank 2 images. Finally, I do a quick scroll through the Rank 3 images, just to see if there were any that I missed.  I don't usually bother with the Rank 4&5 images. It is a fairly quick process!  AQfter going throuigh the images a few tines in slide show, I think I have spent an average of 10-15 seconds per image to finsih my edit (some only get 1 look, etc.)

To use thre rankings with Lightrom, I copy the Rank 1 files to one directory, then the Rank 2 to another, Do your import and flag them with the rank, etc. and add metadata  as they coime in. You could do that for just the rank 1 & 2 files, or for all of the files.

An alternative would be to update the EXIF or other metadata with your rankings in Breezebrowser, then read that as you import to Ligtroom. That would automate the handlinmg of all of the files.

With ranking in Breezebrowser, which is a very fast orogram, I  have reduced the number of files I work with in Lightroomn by about 85% to 90%!  

Now you can start more detailed Lightroom work. I like to do "copntacty sheey"-like proofs on 20"x24" sheets of paper on my Epson 7600.

Breezebrowser is very fast when reviewing images in a slideshow. I find that an excellent way to work.

Set your Canon JPEG color space to AdobeRGB, or whatever most closely reflects the final look you are after. I think you will be quite happy!  

I can't really tell the difference between my Atom netbook and my photo processing desktop in slideshow in Breezebrowser, because the determining factor ion speed is my "pondering" the images to rank them. Just like real life!      

Let me know if you try it and what you think. 30 day free trial. There is also a nice program for shhooting tethered on Canon.

Best,
Michael
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:17:33 am by mmurph »
Pages: [1]   Go Up