Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 4 Backup  (Read 1921 times)

CBarrett

C1 4 Backup
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »

I only ever shoot tethered, but I just discovered that when importing into a session (ie via cf card) you can select a Backup destination to create redundant files.  Is this only possible for importing?  I'm not aware of anyway to create a Session Clone on another drive or folder as you're shooting...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
C1 4 Backup
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:44:36 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I only ever shoot tethered, but I just discovered that when importing into a session (ie via cf card) you can select a Backup destination to create redundant files.  Is this only possible for importing?  I'm not aware of anyway to create a Session Clone on another drive or folder as you're shooting...

Our Article on Backing up Before/After the shoot.

These sorts of functionalities will always be best implemented with 3rd party software and your awareness/workflow is much more important than which tool you use. The backup in C1 is only available when importing a card.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Snook

C1 4 Backup
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:50:17 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Our Article on Backing up Before/After the shoot.

These sorts of functionalities will always be best implemented with 3rd party software and your awareness/workflow is much more important than which tool you use. The backup in C1 is only available when importing a card.

Doug

Hey Doug, how are you?
Doug I was just wondering is it impossible or not feesable to have this done when shooting tethered? Seems like it would be just as important or handy. I for one sure would like it?
Just not sure of the complexity involved.
The one day I tried using a "sync" folders program was the day I shot with C-1 4.5 where it corrupted all the Cr2 canon files and for a second I thought it was the Sync programs fault and since then never gave it another shot as I like to do things manually so I "know" that i got it copied right.

Thanks for any info.
Snook

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
C1 4 Backup
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:03:09 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Hey Doug, how are you?
Doug I was just wondering is it impossible or not feesable to have this done when shooting tethered? Seems like it would be just as important or handy. I for one sure would like it?
The one day I tried using a "sync" folders program was the day I shot with C-1 4.5 where it corrupted all the Cr2 canon files and for a second I thought it was the Sync programs fault and since then never gave it another shot as I like to do things manually so I "know" that i got it copied right.

Thanks for any info.
Snook

Doing backups in real time, other than by hardware RAID (which is not really a backup) requires disk read/write time and CPU time. As it is a computer is pushed to the max shooting a digital back quickly (handling the FW connection, recording the data, and generating preview files all at the same time).

That's why the article I wrote and linked to above suggests sync programs which allow you to wait for a momentary pause in the action and then push a button to sync any captures since the last time you synced. That way when you're shooting at max speed, checking focus, making adjustments etc you get the best performance while still being sure you're backed up when you have a moment of downtime.

ziocan

C1 4 Backup
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Hey Doug, how are you?

Thanks for any info.
Snook
For example, Lightroom has this option while shooting tethered, but it slows down the process a lot. It may be usable for still life photographers, but for fashion, beauty and portrait is a no, no.

I normally use a RAID setting as destination when I shoot tethered. Either internal or external if I'm using my laptop, but as Doug pointed out it is not exactly a back up and it will not prevent accidental erasing or overwriting. Though is way better than writing to a single disk. In any case the best solution is having an assistant just manually backing up as often as is possible.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:20:53 pm by ziocan »

ziocan

C1 4 Backup
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »

zzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:21:12 pm by ziocan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up