Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All my cameras were stolen ...  (Read 3480 times)

tonysmith

All my cameras were stolen ...
« on: May 03, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »

My house was burglarized on Friday while I was on a business trip, and all my cameras are gone. I had a Sony DSC R1, a Canon S3 IS, an old Canon S500, and a new Panasonic Lumix LX3.

Hopefully, my insurance will pay for at least one and hopefully two (one large, one small) good camera(s) and I would appreciate advice on what you think I should buy.

I usually print around 8 x 12, and never more than 13 x 19, so I figure 10 - 14 megapixels is enough. I like wide angle and medium zoom always, and long zoom only sometimes, and I want a very good quality lens.

I do a mix of photography - landscapes, cityscapes, streets, people, family snaps, and I want to experiment more with macro. I am a hobbyist, not a professional. I like to travel light and am impatient with tripods, filters, and other things that have to be carried around. I am not accustomed to interchanging lenses.

I have grown accustomed to EVF and Live View and have begun to think this is the future. Therefore, I am tempted by Panasonic's new GH1 but my only SLR was prior to digital and autofocus so I am a bit ignorant of modern DSLRs and wonder if I should take that direction.

I use Lighroom and prefer to work in RAW.

All advice welcomed.

BTW Put a lock on your garden gate, make sure your back door can resist several stout kicks, and realize that burglars do know all the usual places where women hide their jewellery!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:06:08 pm by tonysmith »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:17:05 pm »

The G1 or GH1 would seem like a plan.

dalethorn

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:55:20 pm »

As Michael reported on the main site here, a great all-around pocket camera would be the Pana ZS3.  The LX3 would be great for indoor shooting in low light when a larger camera isn't available, and the GH1 would be ideal for high quality images.  I intend to buy the GH1, but my gripe about it, based on early ads by Panasonic, is the price of $1500 or more and having to pay for the 14-140 lens out of that $1500.  I would much rather get a 45-200 and the wide lens and skip the 14-140.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:23 am »

Just a reminder that if you have had a robbery, thieves will wait a couple of months and then visit again to get the new equipment that replaced the old stuff.

I had my camera, stereo and computer gear stolen years ago and sure enough about four months later they came back and stole the replacement computer gear. I wasn't insured the first time but got insured before I bought my replacement gear.

Best of luck with the insurance claim.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

dalethorn

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »

Quote from: tom  b
Just a reminder that if you have had a robbery, thieves will wait a couple of months and then visit again to get the new equipment that replaced the old stuff.
I had my camera, stereo and computer gear stolen years ago and sure enough about four months later they came back and stole the replacement computer gear. I wasn't insured the first time but got insured before I bought my replacement gear.
Best of luck with the insurance claim.
Cheers,

Today it's possible for the average person to afford a surveillance camera that's motion-activated, that will immediately send video to the Internet, and notify you of the intrusion.  Unless you move, it may be your only hope.  I was amused once while monitoring security company traffic to hear the drivers say things like "470 Elm St. is on vacation for another week...."  Think about who else might be listening.

Two other tips about security worth mentioning: One, the #1 rule is never let anyone know what you have or where you're going. And keep the drapes pulled all of the time, or at least never allow a view from outside to see anything of value - even pricy-looking photos or paintings on the walls. The second good tip is to take the most valuable things with you. Probably 80 percent of the hardware value I own fits into my carry-on suitcase with the clothing. Small and miniature equipment tends to be expensive, but worth the peace of mind.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 05:21:25 am »

My London Flat was emptied a few years ago. they stole my whole camera collection, some jewellery, some watches and my laptop WITH backup drive which had my dissertation on it, no other back-up, 6 week before hand in, I was faster the Second time.

that was like 6 Cameras, 15 lenses and lots of little goodies.

lucky me that was my first ever insurance claim and the insurance paid like 85% of market value and about 65 of the laptop. I had Fotos and serial numbers of all my gear, but nearly no receipts, but still thy paid. I think it pays to only claim insurance, when you really have a rightful claim.

was a good time to turn digital....

in the first few week i was totally paranoid, hiding my sole remaining camera in the knicker drawer and closing curtains and so on. then I realised it is just things, replaceable and not worth agonizing. I topped up my insurance and installed an alarm. A couple of weeks later the flat underneath us, that was burgled the same night as ours was broken into again, and they stole the huge new TV they just bough a few days ago. I guess they just couldn't carry any more, so they didn't pay us a visit.

so my tip is: get a proper insurance, ask the insurance what saftey measures they require and stop bothering. those people who break into other peoples life are not worth your thoughts and they will pay, one way or the other, I am sure about that.

-------------------------
[url=http://ww

francois

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:08:20 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
The G1 or GH1 would seem like a plan.
I found an article on the GH1, sounds good so far: http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/04/30/panaso...-first-footage/
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up