Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 50D -- Grid Screens & Rule of Thirds  (Read 2453 times)

Shamrock

Canon EOS 50D -- Grid Screens & Rule of Thirds
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:22:03 pm »

Canon EOS 50D – Grid Screens & Rule of Thirds :

I just acquired a Canon EOS 50D plus an Ef-D grid-focusing screen.  Nice effect for outdoor alignment purposes, except it doesn’t match the “rule of thirds” grid for optimum composition.  How have other Ef-D users coped with this?

I also read that Live View has a Grid Display (Off, Grid 1, Grid 2) function  that features a “rule of thirds grid.”

At this early stage, I haven’t mastered Live View -- and its stated  limitations -- so I’m wondering what are the pros and cons of going grid-wise – non-Live View or Live View.

Thanks.

shamrock838

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Canon EOS 50D -- Grid Screens & Rule of Thirds
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:07:27 pm »

Quote from: Shamrock
Canon EOS 50D – Grid Screens & Rule of Thirds :

I just acquired a Canon EOS 50D plus an Ef-D grid-focusing screen.  Nice effect for outdoor alignment purposes, except it doesn’t match the “rule of thirds” grid for optimum composition.  How have other Ef-D users coped with this?

I also read that Live View has a Grid Display (Off, Grid 1, Grid 2) function  that features a “rule of thirds grid.”

At this early stage, I haven’t mastered Live View -- and its stated  limitations -- so I’m wondering what are the pros and cons of going grid-wise – non-Live View or Live View.

Thanks.

shamrock838

Rules are meant to be broken. Rule of thirds is one of them. It's a good guideline, but there's no point in slavishly following it to a millimeter - and it is worthwhile to throw out the window for many photos. So I wouldn't worry about it, just eyeball it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up