Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync hard drives?  (Read 3545 times)

matt4626

Sync hard drives?
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:10:05 pm »

I have several hard drives that I use for backup. At the moment many of the same files are on three four different drives. I'm looking for software that can identify dups and delete if necessary. Windows XP.  

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Sync hard drives?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:25:56 pm »

I wrote a utility "Smart Disk Catalogue" for creating a comprehensively searchable catalog of on-line and off-line disks (backup DVD-s, etc).

It was written because I needed its functionality in my own workflow of cataloguing backups.

One of the features i found useful for myself is a search of duplicate filenames across all disks.

Utility can be downloaded from my website at http://www.michaelezra.com, "downloads".

The setup program itself a bit old and not too flashy, but this is all I have at my current disposal.

Latest changes:
Version 1.1.0 (2009/01/26)
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

matt4626

Sync hard drives?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:39:55 am »

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Jon Meddings

Sync hard drives?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:29 am »

Quote from: matt4626
Thanks I'll give it a try.

I use SyncBack for this sort of thing. The unlimited 'free' version does pretty much all it seems you want but the minimal amount to purchase the SE version made a lot of sense to me - it can recognize a certain drive being plugged in on a USB or eSATA port and start a specific synchronization profile for instance.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Sync hard drives?
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:04:58 pm »

I have several hard drives that I use for backup. At the moment many of the same files are on three four different drives. I'm looking for software that can identify dups and delete if necessary. Windows XP.

But isn't that the point of using multiple drives for backup? If one goes bad, or even 2, you still have your files.

Peter

AndyF

Sync hard drives?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »

Duplic8 works well; http://www.kewlit.com/duplic8/

Andy

b2martin

Sync hard drives?
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:26:00 am »

Look at Sync Toy on the Microsoft website.  I use it all the time to keep multiple hard drives in sync, and it's free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up