Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 10D  (Read 9273 times)

Elliot

Canon 10D
« on: March 18, 2003, 07:33:08 pm »

For anyone interested in the Canon 10D, I have posted a very short article on my website about my new camera.  The weather this weekend was a mixed bag, mostly rain when I had free time and mostly sunny when I didn't.  I have posted a picture from the new camera as well as the same picture from the D60.  You are welcome to examine them and compare them.  There is one photo from each camera.  They were shot in RAW mode, converted using the supplied Canon ZoomBrowser to JPEG.  Then opened and saved in Photoshop as a JPEG of about 350K.  I hope in the near future, to have some more samples from the camera.  So far, I'm very happy.

You can see the photos at: Photos Comparison
Thanks for the pictures.  I am not much of a digital camera user yet.  What are the blocks of color in the sky called?  Can they be smoothed over to make a more natural image, and how difficult is such an operation?

lightstand

Canon 10D
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 08:32:37 am »

How do you feel about using your 10D in the rain or adverse conditions? I am on a waiting list to get it. It will be my first digital. I remember back in college when a shooter got his nikon 8008 wet and fried it. I have used my 1n & A2 in all out rain storms, but I'm nervious about a digital. What are your thoughts? Thanks jeff

BruceK

Canon 10D
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 07:14:42 pm »

Does anyone know if the 10D works with a shutter release cable or is shutter release touch only?
Frederic:

According to the manual the 10D uses the same shutter release cables as the D60, 1V, etc.: the RS-80N3 Remote Switch and the TC-80N3 Timer Remote Controller.

Bruce

how786

Canon 10D
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 01:32:13 am »

Thanks Jon.
 Does Photoshop support 16 bit files? Or do they have to be converted to 8?

Howard

ricwis

• http://www.ricwis.com
Canon 10D
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 11:47:59 pm »

For anyone interested in the Canon 10D, I have posted a very short article on my website about my new camera.  The weather this weekend was a mixed bag, mostly rain when I had free time and mostly sunny when I didn't.  I have posted a picture from the new camera as well as the same picture from the D60.  You are welcome to examine them and compare them.  There is one photo from each camera.  They were shot in RAW mode, converted using the supplied Canon ZoomBrowser to JPEG.  Then opened and saved in Photoshop as a JPEG of about 350K.  I hope in the near future, to have some more samples from the camera.  So far, I'm very happy.

You can see the photos at: Photos Comparison
Rich Wisler
Wildlife and Scenic Photogra

ricwis

Canon 10D
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 09:07:17 am »

The shots were about 30-45 seconds apart, just as long as it took to change the lens and mount the camera on the tripod.  I took several other more boring shots at the same place with the same results.  I suspect the difference has a lot to do with the digi logic processing chip.
Rich Wisler

ricwis

Canon 10D
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 08:51:37 pm »

Elliot,
The blocks are pixelation or jpeg artifacts from the extreme compression of the image.  The original file is an 18 meg Tiff and I have no way of putting something that large on the web site.  Those artifacts are not in the original image.  Unfortunately, going from 18 meg to +- 350K cause a significant quality loss.  There is no noise or pixelation in the original.  What you will notice is more detail in the darker areas such as the thick bushes.

I went with a much smaller size file so it can be viewed without having to wait 30 minutes for it to download.  If anyone has an  idea on how to show the original quality without creating a huge file, I'd be interested.  I really like the quality of the pictures from the 10D.  Is it major over the D60?  I don't think so.  Is it better?  I think it is.  Of course I need more than a few photos to see and compare.
Rich Wisler

Bernd Adam

Canon 10D
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 06:32:55 am »

To show the whole quality you may do a crop of the most important part. I did the same to see differences in the pictures. The 10 D looks brighter and there are more details. May be the sun has coming out for some seconds.

Thank you for the pictures.

Bernd
 ::

Bruce Krobusek

Canon 10D
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 08:56:28 pm »

How do you feel about using your 10D in the rain or adverse conditions?
Jeff:

I don't know about the 10D (I just picked mine up tonight) but I've used my D60 in light rain and have not had a problem. I tried to keep the camera as dry as possible when I was using it, and tried to ceover it when I wasn't, but I wasn't obsessed with it. I expect the 10D to be as good if not better in this regard.

Bruce

ricwis

Canon 10D
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 09:20:10 am »

Jeff,
I try as best as possible to keep the camera dry.  It does not have the weather sealing that say the 1DS does.  I would not want to have the camera get dripping wet.  However, with my D30, I was on a cruise to Alaska and was out on the upper deck when conditions were very foggy. And, on a cruise ship on the ocean, there is the salty air/water spray to be careful of.  My camera got mist on it that I had to keep wiping off and it still functioned fine.  I had one instance of a spot getting on the sensor when I changed the lens under those conditions.  I would be very careful though to keep the camera as dry as possible.  I've heard stories of people dropping their camera in the water and having to send it in for repair.
Rich Wisler

Frederic

Canon 10D
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 07:04:09 pm »

Does anyone know if the 10D works with a shutter release cable or is shutter release touch only? Thanks.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon 10D
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2003, 02:07:44 pm »

I tested in RAW using the Adobe98 setting working,
obviously, in 16bit. As I am a  Mac user I was forced to use
Canons RAW converter. Images converted well,but slow,as
expected and histograms looked good in Photoshop.
The problem,to my way of working,occurs when I try to
perform relatively simple corrections,such as a moderate
curves or levels adjustment,after the fact. The histograms
are now completely fractured or 'combed' as if the corrections
had been applied to an 8bit file.Any thoughts?
It sounds like you have the RAW converter set to output to 8 bit. The "comb" effect is an indication that somewhere in the processing chain, the image data is being converted to 8-bit. If it is not happening in Photoshop, then it is definitely happening somewhere else. If you save the output from the RAW converter as a JPEG, then the image will be forced to 8-bit format. You must save as a 16-bit TIFF in order to keep the 16-bit image data.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon 10D
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 11:27:44 pm »

16 bit TIFF. Tiff is widely readable, and is one of the few common graphic file formats that supports 16-bit per channel color depth.

rich

Canon 10D
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 01:34:25 am »

I just got in 20 more of these 10D's (New, USA) today and I'm selling them at normal MAP price + regular shipping costs. ($20-60 depending on speed and type of shipment and where you are.)

If you buy a 24-70f2.8 with the 10D we have a special package deal.

We offer the 1Ds at a price better than most too. Call to ask about stock on these, it flows in and out quickly.

Feel free to call between 12-8pm EST to order one of these hard to get cameras...

cheers,
Rich & Liz
(646) 613-1107
The Photo Village dot com

Marshal

Canon 10D
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 01:29:59 am »

How far apart in time were the pics taken? The 10D shot looks brighter and I don't know if that's from a brief change in sunlight on location or a difference of the two cameras.

David Ramage

Canon 10D
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2003, 11:37:53 pm »

Elliot, I don't see blocks of colors in the sky on my monitor.  I have a feeling your monitor is not set for the highest quality color setting.  If you're on a PC then right click on your desktop, pick settings and set the color quality to highest (32 bit).  Anything less and you'll see banding in broad expanses of smooth color.

David

mark tomalty

Canon 10D
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2003, 09:42:37 pm »

I had the opportunity to test drive a 10D yesterday.
As a 1Ds owner I am considering this camera as a
backup and carry around body.
The camera performed flawlessly and although it seemed
to resolve fine detail less than was possible with the 1Ds,
it had noticeably less noise that the 1Ds.
The only thing that is holding me back from buying one and
maybe one of you guys can shed some light on this is how
the files can't seem to tolerate any manipulation after the
fact. I tested in RAW using the Adobe98 setting working,
obviously, in 16bit. As I am a  Mac user I was forced to use
Canons RAW converter. Images converted well,but slow,as
expected and histograms looked good in Photoshop.
The problem,to my way of working,occurs when I try to
perform relatively simple corrections,such as a moderate
curves or levels adjustment,after the fact. The histograms
are now completely fractured or 'combed' as if the corrections
had been applied to an 8bit file.Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

how786

Canon 10D
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2003, 02:05:59 pm »

Jon,

How owuld you recommend he save the files for best image
data?

Thanks,
Howard

how786

Canon 10D
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2003, 01:54:12 am »

I came across this comparison of the S2 and 10D. I was just about to purchase a 10D since it is a lot cheaper than the S2. ($1450 vs. $2100)
 I found the rather poor meter performance both surprising and disheartening.

http://digitalphotographers.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=9196015511&f=6486007031&m=1146083382

Howard
Pages: [1]   Go Up