Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch Processing problem  (Read 4407 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Batch Processing problem
« on: May 02, 2009, 05:24:46 am »

I regularly get bunches of JPG files from clients which I need to run an action on and then re-save.
I can't seem to figure out how to do the 'Save' function which meets my requirements...

Here's what I do now:
  • I'll have a single folder for one job, each job in separate folder.
  • Inside the folder will be JPG files (usually) from my client.
  • I open all the files from Bridge into P'shop
  • I run an Action inside Photoshop on each file which does some standard alterations.
  • I manually save back into the original folder (where the file came from), as a TIFF and with "_GE" added to the end of the file name.
  • Then close the original JPG.

Doing this manually is getting to much now and I want it to be scripted or batch file.
I am having a problem with the 'Save' part. Any batch file I try to set up, seems to want to save back to a hard coded folder, not the original one that the JPG is from, and also changing the file type, and adding the "_GE" to the end of the filename.

Can someone please help, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

ThePhotoDude

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 02:15:53 pm »

Sorry for the BUMP, but does anybody know how I can do this??

thanks

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Batch Processing problem
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:18:47 am »

Several solutions

1.)
First you need to write an action that does the job.
Second you select the images in Bridge, go to Tools/Photoshop/Batch and choose your appropriate action and run it. This way you let PS open images from Bridge and process them individually - more efficient that way compared to opening then all at once into PS to process.

So how to do the action?
You record the tweaking part and then simply record a save as and close at end of action. Now this save will be as you have discovered to a specific place. Two ways around that, simply make it to a folder on same HD as your JPEGs and then drag the images after saving into current JPEG folder, which will take a few seconds. Or open one file at start, double click on the save part of action to rejig it each time to go to folder you want.
Renaming the file is easily done in Br using Batch rename, you can keep current name and add text to it.

2.)
Better still is use image processor -  Bridge/Tools/Photoshop/Image Processor, which will open files run an action and save in same place. You will still need Br to batch rename - you can save various renaming presets too, which is handy.

3.)
Alternatively and probably easiest - [if you are doing global develop tweaking] why not open all images in ACR and use a develop preset and save as a tiff?
It's so easy and ACR is so very powerful too - I use ACR/LR presets instead of actions for specific looks a lot now.
Cntrl/Cmd+A selects all images, Cntrl/Cmd+R opens them into ACR, Cntrl/Cmd+A Selects all within ACR and you then click on desired your preset and you're done.  You can also save then back into same location as a Tiff with orig name plus  your "_GE" too.
Make sure that your Br preferences are set so that ACR will open JPEGs + TIffs
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Ben Rubinstein

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 06:53:19 am »

Quote from: jjj
Several solutions

1.)
First you need to write an action that does the job.
Second you select the images in Bridge, go to Tools/Photoshop/Batch and choose your appropriate action and run it. This way you let PS open images from Bridge and process them individually - more efficient that way compared to opening then all at once into PS to process.

So how to do the action?
You record the tweaking part and then simply record a save as and close at end of action. Now this save will be as you have discovered to a specific place. Two ways around that, simply make it to a folder on same HD as your JPEGs and then drag the images after saving into current JPEG folder, which will take a few seconds. Or open one file at start, double click on the save part of action to rejig it each time to go to folder you want.
Renaming the file is easily done in Br using Batch rename, you can keep current name and add text to it.

Gosh that's making something very simple horribly complicated!

Make the action with your changes and record a save and close. Then run the action via bridge as stated. Choose the output folder in the action window and even naming if required, make sure that you click on 'overide action save as commands' and that's it. Will save to whichever folder you choose and rename if you've requested. Been doing this myself since PS7.

jjj

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:59:24 am »

Quote from: pom
Gosh that's making something very simple horribly complicated!
Duh! I explained the full long winded way and then much easier ways. The last being very simple indeed and easier than what you suggest. Try reading all the post.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:00:45 am by jjj »

Ben Rubinstein

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:15 am »

No you didn't. Your last method only works if the changes can be done via a develop preset in ACR. Limits the OP hugely. What you did do is explain how to batch completely missing the most important feature relative to the OP's question - the ability to batch straight into a folder of your choice. Instead you suggest two fiddly workarounds. Duh to you!

jjj

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:34:29 am »

No you didn't. Your last method only works if the changes can be done via a develop preset in ACR. Limits the OP hugely.
Not really, lots of my very complex PS actions have been replaced by ACR presets. ACR is very powerful and quite likely to be able to do what is needed.

What you did do is explain how to batch completely missing the most important feature relative to the OP's question - the ability to batch straight into a folder of your choice. Instead you suggest two fiddly workarounds. Duh to you!
Are you being deliberately argumentative? I actually made 3 suggestions in fact not two, mainly to illustrate there are many ways to skin a cat starting with the fiddly version, but also addresed the save back to folder issue in two very easy non-workaround ways.
If you think using image processor is a fiddly workaround which very performs action and saves back to orig folder as a TIFF, then you're frankly you are simply stirring.

Your method is simply a fourth way. I would not actually use my first method, but it's worth knowing different solutions as sometimes they teach some basic skills.

Ben Rubinstein

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:25:33 am »

Just admit you didn't know how batch processing to a specific folder works otherwise you would have suggested it in the first place instead of those ridiculous workarounds in your '1)'. That you gave possibly good advice in the other two suggestions does not excuse the fact that the first, and your defence of it was extremely ill advised.

ThePhotoDude

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 05:41:21 pm »

Thank you both for your replies, both are helpful with me understanding it:

Here is what I am doing now which greatly improves my workflow: (The PS action is already recorded):

Select the files in BR,
Run the Action from BR (which I didn't know you could do),
- which Saves as TIFF into the same folder (it seems to go into a subfolder called TIFF but that's OK)
Then in BR run a batch rename

Looking back through the posts this looks like the 2nd option in jjj's solution ... POM, I didn't understand what you meant by "Choose the output folder in the action window and even naming if required, make sure that you click on 'overide action save as commands' and that's it. Will save to whichever folder you choose and rename if you've requested." - Is this during the recording of the action or something in Bridge.

Thanks for the help.

jjj

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:34:57 am »

Just admit you didn't know how batch processing to a specific folder works otherwise you would have suggested it in the first place instead of those ridiculous workarounds in your '1)'. That you gave possibly good advice in the other two suggestions does not excuse the fact that the first, and your defence of it was extremely ill advised.
Still being argumentative I see and wrong too. Actually the first method was not ill advised, as most actions I use with saves are done with Save For Web, so your solution simply will not work for them and mine does.    Plus knowing how to quickly rejig an action is very useful basic knowledge - I often duplicate actions and rejig individual parameters by this method.
It also amuses me that your 'easy' method proved to be harder to understand than what you referred to as  fiddly workarounds, as opposed to easier workflows invented since PS7.

Pom  - Image Processor saves into a new sub folder to avoid saving over original files.

What sort of work are you doing to the images as ACR may well do that for you a lot quicker? Maybe post a before and after or  describe what action does.

ThePhotoDude

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 01:12:50 pm »

Quote from: jjj
What sort of work are you doing to the images as ACR may well do that for you a lot quicker? Maybe post a before and after or  describe what action does.

Hi, my action changes all 255,255,255 pixels to 254,254,254 values. Can ACR do this do you think?

I must say that so far this has saved me LOADS of time.
 - Shame you can't run the Image Processor at folder level in BR
 - Shame the Batch Rename can't be implemented at the same time,

But hey, you can't have everything and so far this is saving me OODLES of time!

Thanks

jjj

Batch Processing problem
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:03 am »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude
Hi, my action changes all 255,255,255 pixels to 254,254,254 values. Can ACR do this do you think?
That's an unusual action!
Not even sure how to do it in PS as I've never done anything like that

I must say that so far this has saved me LOADS of time.
 - Shame you can't run the Image Processor at folder level in BR
You can view contents of subfolders if that's what you mean. Look in View menu.

Shame the Batch Rename can't be implemented at the same time
You can batch rename if you batch images from Bridge in the Action's dialogue box when you start batch.
Never had to use it myself, but it is there.

But hey, you can't have everything and so far this is saving me OODLES of time!
Excellent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up