Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO  (Read 8319 times)

Dick Roadnight

P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »

Yesterday I took a snapshot of owner of a gallery where I want to sell my pix, and she wants a copy of the pic: Window light 110 mm max zoom, wide open 1/125th ISO 400, and it looks soft and noisy (on the back of the camera). Would I have got a better picture with a £300 point and shoot?

(Must install phocus and photoshop sometime soon.)

If you want to get together for a comparative test in the UK midlands - contact me.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

bcooter

P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:44 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Ah - high praise, coming from the PC evangelist.    

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Electronic photography is so proprietary compared to analog.

Could you ever dream of a board meeting at Fuji or Kodak where people actually made a decision to produce a film that only worked in one or two cameras and had to be processed in one lab?

Can you imagine Hasselblad making a camera that would only use Hasselblad film? (oops sorry, they've done that).

Who would have thought a polaroid proof would be such a difficult process.

Then again how many photographers ever dreamed (or better put had the nightmare) that they would become the lab, the retoucher and pre press house?

Looking at where we are today with digital, vs where we were 7 years ago, I would have thought today would have been a more mature, easier process than it is.  I really would have thought that you could just drop in your digital film into any camera and go shoot, but instead it's gone the opposite way.  

I'm positive it's way more consuming on the back end to shoot digital than it was film, though I'm also aware the possibilities are greater.

It's still a "roll your own" process.   Just naming files can be a chore (see v-4), or some type of automated backup, takes learning a new software and hiring a dedicated assistant just to make sure everything runs well.   Actually everything we do in digital photography takes learning a new software.

There is a reason that 99.999% of all retouchers do everything in photoshop, because once you've learned it  . . . you've learned it.  As a photographer if you own more than one camera you've probably learned about 4 software's just to get to the first proof stage.

As far as being an evangelist for Windows or Vista or any computer I'm not.  I have no desire buy anything new unless it is easier, or superior and I know that since Macs are now PC's and PC's are now Macs there should be no reason whatsoever that one has a powered firewire port where the other doesn't and the other has a fast usb where one is slow as an old phone line.

Then again nothing in the electronic world makes any sense.  Why a 24mpx Sony camera costs less than 1/2 of a 24mpx Nikon, or why a digital back costs more than new 3 series bmw is beyond my technical knowledge or understanding.

What I do know is that now that photography is a electronic business model where nothing is suppose to last for more than a few years then buying an $800 computer that will make a "polaroid" faster than a $2,500 computer, doesn't require a whole lot of decision making.

B

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 11:02:40 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Electronic photography is so proprietary compared to analog.

Could you ever dream of a board meeting at Fuji or Kodak where people actually made a decision to produce a film that only worked in one or two cameras and had to be processed in one lab?

SCALA film.

Though to be fair you can get it processed elsewhere (e.g. dr5.com) most people who purchased it didn't know that.

I feel like there were a few others, but I could be wrong; all my film knowledge is slowly decaying away, except for my love of traditional cyanotypes!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

heinrichvoelkel

P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 05:30:23 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
SCALA film.

Though to be fair you can get it processed elsewhere (e.g. dr5.com) most people who purchased it didn't know that.

I feel like there were a few others, but I could be wrong; all my film knowledge is slowly decaying away, except for my love of traditional cyanotypes!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

you're wrong with the scala ( and actually it is a dangerous analogy to compare Phase One or any other manufacturer of MFDBs with scala, because you know what happened to AGFA). at least here in germany, we had 5 or 6 labs doing scala development back in time when agfa was still alive. and scala was something special/ different, not EPP or Velvia.

bcooter is right. everybody, me included, was thinking: with digital it will get easier, faster, with time ....but what we got is more time and thought consuming than before and it doesn't seem to change with maturity.

now every camera needs its own lab to get the picture out of the camera. at least E-6 and C-41 were something of a  standard.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »

I think we are forgetting about Kodachrome here. I remember at one time maybe 6 labs in the US if that even, all owned by Kodak.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

jing q

• we are super
P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 07:55:27 pm »

after all is said and done, can anyone here pleasseeeeee post a few samples.
I don't care if it's of different scenes...I have yet to see samples from the H3D 50

Snook

P45+ ISO vs H3DII-50 ISO
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 08:04:41 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Yesterday I took a snapshot of owner of a gallery where I want to sell my pix, and she wants a copy of the pic: Window light 110 mm max zoom, wide open 1/125th ISO 400, and it looks soft and noisy (on the back of the camera). Would I have got a better picture with a £300 point and shoot?

(Must install phocus and photoshop sometime soon.)

If you want to get together for a comparative test in the UK midlands - contact me.

Softness could be due to movement as well. Or did you tripod it? I have heard and notice myself that the Speed should be atleast the focal length and more. 110 lens zoomed out at low aperture and hand  held can look soft for sure at 100%. Even with film I beleive.
Also I feel we have all been duped by the 100% zoom onscreen. Never had that when shooting film. Even when I look at some of my old scans recently I noticed how grainy they were and how they usually WAY oversharpened them for print.

We are all spoiled by the 100% zoom syndrom in monitor. Whether that changes anything or not? Not sure.:+}.

I use to shoot alot or portra film and looking back on some prints, I am no longer so hard on myself with those "soft" images on screen...

Snook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up