Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arizona's most beautiful/abstract spots  (Read 3112 times)

Zachary Goulko

Arizona's most beautiful/abstract spots
« on: May 01, 2009, 01:00:54 pm »

I would like to travel to Arizona in June, for about a week, and would like some suggestions on best locations to photograph. One of the spots I have wanted to visit for sometime are the Antelope Canyons, but I don't want to be surrounded by mobs of people. I would like to avoid groups of people, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get a personal guide.

Also, any other advice regarding transportation, lodging, etc.. would be appreciated.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 02:12:19 pm »

Why don't you make a search for Antelope on this very forum? There are plenty of threads about it. You will find out, that the Lower Antelope Canyon is much less visited than the Upper one, for it is a rather strenous tour (not really, but compared to the "walking through" of the Upper Antelope canyon).

See a tour of the Lower Antelope Canyon
Gabor

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 04:32:31 pm »

Zachary,

You can get a personal guide but you won't avoid mobs of people in June at either upper or lower Antelope. the sun is also quite directly overhead in June creating hot spots on the walls, especially at lower. I was there two weeks ago and experienced lots of people. I've been a number of times but this was the latest in the year and I only stayed a morning.

You might try Waterholes Canyon a few miles south of Page. You get your permit at upper Antelope station, $5.00. Head west from there and go straight at the traffic light until you reach the Flagstaff Highway, about two miles. Turn left and go about a mile past the Horseshoe Bend parking area. There is a pull-off on the left. It will be just before the Waterholes Canyon bridge. Park there and walk in. It will probably have fewer people.

Best slot photography is in March to mid April for me anyway. Sun is lower in the sky allowing the glows to last longer.

Be sure and keep an eye out for thunderstorms and watch for reports at Upper and weather channel as well. Monsoon starts usually in June through July.

As alternative, you might drive to Paria contact station and get a permit for Paw Holes or other areas they might direct you to. Station is 30 miles west of Page towards Kanab.

cheers,

http://www.americansouthwest.net/sitemap_sc.html

davewolfs

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:15 am »

Just going through the book photographing the southwest here was a possible itinerary.

1. Canyon De Chelly
2. Monument Valley
3. Page, Check out Antelope, Big Bend and Coyote Buttes (The Wave)
4. North Rim Grand Canyon

summitgreen

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:54:50 pm »

Quote from: davewolfs
Just going through the book photographing the southwest here was a possible itinerary.

1. Canyon De Chelly
2. Monument Valley
3. Page, Check out Antelope, Big Bend and Coyote Buttes (The Wave)
4. North Rim Grand Canyon

Hi dave,

From my experience if you have time to go north to Moab,UT you can shoot Arches national park.  An abundance of Arches right there. Then keep heading north and there will be Canyonlands Isles of the sky I believe and Dead-horse point. Head more north on 191 and loop around the top go heading west on 70 then south on 24 to Goblins Valley State Park(camping allowed) must get a dusk and dawn shot of the goblins!  Then after that head more south on 24 through Capitol Reef national park.  then you have the choice to continue on 24 back to 15 or go south on 12 from the 24 to go to Byrce Canyon =) (dawn and dusk shot must again!) Especially at the queen's garden. I believe 2-3mile RT hike. and another point of your choice for sunset shot.  Then you can continue on 12 west to 89 south back to Page, az or go west on 9 to Zion National Park.

Hope this information helps.

I did this trip from southern california starting on a thursday night at 10pm and arriving back to cali on monday afternoon.  Drove out thursday night saving time to make it to the 8:30am lottery for the Wave and stopping by sunday night at Valley of Fire 30mins north of Las Vegas before going home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up