Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D2 Playback  (Read 4187 times)

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
5D2 Playback
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:12:59 am »

Hi

Can anyone tell me why the native 5D2 files look wonderful sharp and play really smoothly in QT but are choppy in PremPro or FCP? Does it really matter, IOW even if it's shaky in the editing app I'd assume it will still export OK.

Also, what sort of hardware will play full 1080p mp4s or movs smoothly? I'm using a Macpro  2x2.26Quads with 6Gb RAM. 720p seems mostly OK but 1080p is jittery. Could it be something to do with the export settings, keyframing etc?
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
5D2 Playback
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:37 am »

I think most FCP users experience the same problem with native 5d2 files (my guess is extra overhead in FCP or PP).

The best workaround is to import the files (at greatly increased file size) using the Apple Pro Res 422 intermediate codec (not the HQ version). This is lossless, will play and edit smoothly & give greater ability to colour correct etc. Edit, then export to your format of choice.

Chris

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
5D2 Playback
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:43:49 pm »

Quote from: Chrissand
I think most FCP users experience the same problem with native 5d2 files (my guess is extra overhead in FCP or PP).

The best workaround is to import the files (at greatly increased file size) using the Apple Pro Res 422 intermediate codec (not the HQ version). This is lossless, will play and edit smoothly & give greater ability to colour correct etc. Edit, then export to your format of choice.

Chris
Hi Chris

What do you recommend to do this? I have PremPro and FCP.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
5D2 Playback
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:14:44 pm »

My experience is really only with FCP. My experience with Premiere Pro has not been good with HD files.

So from my perspective, use FCP to Log & Import the native 5d2 files and use the Apple Pro Res 422 codec as the import format.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up