Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blossoms  (Read 1889 times)

John R

Blossoms
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

Some shots taken at Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington. Was a beautiful sunny and windy day. Not the greatest or ideal conditions for taking foliage or blossoms but I took what I could get.

JMR

I added the colour version and a pano.

JMR
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:32:46 pm by John R »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Blossoms
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:27:33 am »

The first two don't do much for me, but I like the third one!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Blossoms
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:16:18 am »

The blossoms give the impression of the images almost being infrared.  I like the first and third.  The second composition doesn't quite work for me.  You have two opposing forces that don't seem to blend: the sky and the trees.  I may be saying that just because it's flanked by two images where the trees are the main subject matter.  Maybe try boosting contrast a little (but keep in mind that I am biased toward high contrast)

dalethorn

Blossoms
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:09:18 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
The first two don't do much for me, but I like the third one!
Mike.

Yep - #3 is excellent.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Blossoms
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:32:28 am »

#1 doesn't really work for me, the branches in the foreground take up too much of the image frame and don't really add anything to the image except as a distractio IMHO.

#2 is better, you've got a really interesting sky, and the tonal range of the image is nice and full. The composition feels chopped off at the bottom though.

#3 is definitely the winner, I like everything about it, from the arrangement of the trees to the contrast between the branches and blooms. Nicely done.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:32:47 am by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

John R

Blossoms
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »

Well, the second image is an example of how one can get caught up with such a beautiful sky-cloud pattern and pretend it will minimize the not so good composition. I knew the image was not so great in colour but I cropped out the bottom (pathways) and converted to BW. The 3rd image is the opposite; it is full of dark shadows at the bottom which did not work well in colour, so I tried a BW treatment. The first, I think is reasonably good in colour and I took it specifically to try an Orton treatment effect, using two exposures sandwiched.

JMR
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:55:44 pm by John R »
Pages: [1]   Go Up