Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help my HpZ3100 is printing tone in white areas  (Read 1518 times)

stevepeix

help my HpZ3100 is printing tone in white areas
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:50:20 pm »

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I just loaded my 44" z3100 with Hahnemuhle Bamboo Fine Art Paper (290gsm).  I've never used this paper before so I calibrated and then had the printer make a profile for it.  for a test print I ganged 4 images across a 24 inch wide by 8 inch tall sheet - I just mad a photoshop doc that was 24" x 8" and put the 4 images on it with a quarter inch space between the images.  I work in Pro Photo RGB, so the file was pro Photo RGB.  I did all the normal things, confirmed that photoshop was handling the conversion, confirmed that I was printing to the correct paper etc. Printed in absolute colorimetric.  The spaces between the images printed with distinct tone, sort of a cyan / blue color maybe a quarter stop down from paper white.  As I scrutinized the prints I could see that it seems to have printed this tone over the whole image area which of course hurts overall contrast and color.  I re calibrated made a new profile and had the same result.

Has anyone ever seen this before or have any ideas as to how to I can correct it?  It does NOT seem to print the blue tone when I print in relative colorimetric, or if it does, it is so faint that I can't see it.

Thanks for any ideas

Steve

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:06 pm »

I think the problem is your rendering intent.  Print in perceptual or relative colorimetric and you will get no tone and better results overall.

Bruce Fraser said it best:  "Absolute colorimetric rendering tries to reproduce the source white exactly in the target space. If your target space represents a print and there's a visible paper-white border, an absolute colorimetric print will usually look strange: The white areas in the image will almost always have some color added, but our eye adapts to the paper-white surround, so the image appears to have a color cast."

http://www.creativepro.com/article/out-of-...ndering-intents
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Andrew Stagg

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 02:36:07 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
I think the problem is your rendering intent.  Print in perceptual or relative colorimetric and you will get no tone and better results overall.

Absolutely, - what is happening is that due to the 'warm' tone of the bamboo, the printer is trying to create a neutral white using cyan/blue because of your rendering intent. Perceptual or relative colorimetric will do the trick.

Andrew

stevepeix

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:08:34 pm »

Quote from: Andrew Stagg
Absolutely, - what is happening is that due to the 'warm' tone of the bamboo, the printer is trying to create a neutral white using cyan/blue because of your rendering intent. Perceptual or relative colorimetric will do the trick.

Andrew

Thanks guys I had a hunch that the printer was trying to neutralize the warmth of the paper, I guess I've just been lucky in the past always using stock that was bright white.  I'll start doing things the "right" way from now on...

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up