Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making H2/P45 Travel-Friendly, + Battery Issue?  (Read 1541 times)

gwhitf

Making H2/P45 Travel-Friendly, + Battery Issue?
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:31 am »

I use a P45+ and H2. Sometimes I want to treat it like a G10. Sometimes I just want to travel with it, light and easy. I want to devise a very small, compact way to have an H2 Grip Charger, and a PhaseOne battery charger, taped together, so that, in the hotel room, only one small extension cord can be run to an (unfindable) outlet in the room at night, for recharging. The H charger and Phase charger both have those "brick" devices that plug into the wall. I wish there was also a very compact Phase charger that would charge only one batter instead of two, but the overall charger size be very small and light. I guess I'm going to get a six foot extension cord, cut it down to maybe two feet, plug both bricks into either side of the extension cord, and then run tape around them, so that it all becomes of ugly piece of charging power. Anyone else come up with better, more elegant solution for travel?

I also have an issue with P45+, where, if I charge a Phase battery, and shoot a few frames, but leave the battery installed in the back, if I come back later, the battery is usually completely dead. It's like something is sucking from the battery even when it's turned off. Makes for general Battery Paranoia; always freaked about removing battery from back. Always fear -- Will I have power when I need it. Anyone else have battery drain issues like that? Almost want to stick velcro over the LCD and then velcro the battery to the LCD back when not in use, (since the LCD is useless anyway). Sorry, had to get in one more dig about the LCD quality.

I am determined to design a bag to make traveling with an H2 and two lenses as easy as traveling with a G10.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:56:46 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
I use a P45+ and H2. Sometimes I want to treat it like a G10. Sometimes I just want to travel with it, light and easy. I want to devise a very small, compact way to have an H2 Grip Charger, and a PhaseOne battery charger, taped together, so that, in the hotel room, only one small extension cord can be run to an (unfindable) outlet in the room at night, for recharging. The H charger and Phase charger both have those "brick" devices that plug into the wall. I wish there was also a very compact Phase charger that would charge only one batter instead of two, but the overall charger size be very small and light. I guess I'm going to get a six foot extension cord, cut it down to maybe two feet, plug both bricks into either side of the extension cord, and then run tape around them, so that it all becomes of ugly piece of charging power. Anyone else come up with better, more elegant solution for travel?

I also have an issue with P45+, where, if I charge a Phase battery, and shoot a few frames, but leave the battery installed in the back, if I come back later, the battery is usually completely dead. It's like something is sucking from the battery even when it's turned off. Makes for general Battery Paranoia; always freaked about removing battery from back. Always fear -- Will I have power when I need it. Anyone else have battery drain issues like that? Almost want to stick velcro over the LCD and then velcro the battery to the LCD back when not in use, (since the LCD is useless anyway). Sorry, had to get in one more dig about the LCD quality.

I am determined to design a bag to make traveling with an H2 and two lenses as easy as traveling with a G10.

Three thoughts.

1) I believe our Atlanta office (877-217-9870) has a 1-bay charger and it's pretty cheap and light.
2) Depending on how much you shoot maybe just carrying 3/6/9 extra CR123A batteries would be easier/lighter than carrying the charger.
3) If you're looking for a really lightweight travel-friendly rig have you looked at something like the Cambo Compact (or an Alpa TC etc)? You'd be limited to hyperfocal focus (or manual guess-focus), rangefinder viewing, no auto-exposure, and wide-angle lenses, but it's very very compact/light and requires no batteries for the body and I think it would eliminate the battery-drain issue. Also, there are no lenses as sharp as the Schneider/Rodenstock lenses you could use on that kind of body. It's not for everyone, but for those whose needs it suits it is a great system.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

gwhitf

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:39 am »

Thank you Doug. Will call about the single-battery charger. Trying to get the overall package, (camera + chargers), reduced to carryable bag. Honestly, in travel, I should probably just use the AA-grip on the H2 and eliminate the grip charger altogether.

Changing cameras is not an option.

lance_schad

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:53:12 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Thank you Doug. Will call about the single-battery charger. Trying to get the overall package, (camera + chargers), reduced to carryable bag. Honestly, in travel, I should probably just use the AA-grip on the H2 and eliminate the grip charger altogether.

Changing cameras is not an option.

I have had a few clients use this contraption: http://cableorganizer.com/power-strip-plug-extenders/#image
or this one: http://cableorganizer.com/power-station/
It is basically mini-extension cords to allow you to use multiple bricks off a powerstrip/wall outlet.
It also comes with a handy little case to hold the power adapters, then put the cords out the other end. It is an elegant solution.
The above site also has octopus extenders.
Please let me know how you make out.
Lance

LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS
Pages: [1]   Go Up